LG 22MP55 - "Response Time" Setting Confusion

Go to solution Solved by mmohebpoor,

I referred to my monitors owner manual found here (And attached to this comment): https://www.lg.com/au/support/support-product/lg-24MP48HQ In page 19 it explains:

Capture2.PNG.941e8912a4fb41cb02007a7950d198c5.PNG

I have also attached the manual here for ease of access :). I'm personally keeping it at High for Competitive FPS games like CS:GO. Still unaware of what exactly this changes but I will just go by the manual for now until I or someone else run some tests on this option. Enjoy!

MANUAL: 20_22_23_24_27_MP48_A_D_HQ_ENG_AU.pdf P.S For anyone wondering it is set to Medium by default. 

So I got the LG 22MP55 22" 1080p monitor a few years ago.

I recently messed with some settings on it and found a setting called "Response Time".

Looks like this: ULD2FuX.jpg

This setting has 4 possible values:

1) Off

2) Low

3) Middle

4) High

So I thought it's simply the time that it takes for the monitor to display picture sent from the graphics card.

And that's where the confusion started...

Apparently on the manual it says " For a normal environment, it is recommended that you use 'Off'. For a fast-moving picture, it is recommended that you use 'High'."

So after doing a research on the internet and doing some tests I found out that using "High" setting decreases ghosting (so fast moving objects are a bit less blurry).

However I saw that alot of ppl complain of having higher "input lag" with this setting set to "high" so I'm really confused as to what's the optimal setting for me.

I guess it's quite dependent on what you do? I play World of Warcraft sort of competitively and I try hard to optimize everything for the least amount of lag and delay so that I can see and react to things really quick. However if everything's too blurry when moving your camera around you won't really notice some things. I really don't know what's the best anymore.

So if anyone has an LG monitor with the same setting, please let me know what you use and why. I assume that other brands and models have something like this aswell?

Thank you in advance! Any knowledge on this topic would be helpful. :)

I would try different settings and see if you notice any actual difference for the applications you're running, rather than going off what others have "seen". Often if you just tell someone that there's a delay input increase when you change a setting, they'll say they can see the difference, even when you haven't changed anything. (Placebo affect)

Depending on what it's actually changing, it could introduce input delay if it is apply a post-processing effect to smooth out fast moving, predictable images (not games, as the image often suddenly changing direction). 

What it's changing won't be input delay specifically, though. Response time is the time it takes for a pixel to change from one colour to another, not how quickly it responds to an input. Changing in input delay may be a side effect of whatever it is actually changing. 

Personally, I would just leave it off. I'd imagine it's applying some sort of effect to make the images seem smoother and less blurry, but that introduces some undesirable affects for gaming.

Thanks for the fast response. I'm gonna turn it off and roll with that for a while, I guess it's the value that makes the most sense if you're seeking the fastest response times.

• 2 years later...

I referred to my monitors owner manual found here (And attached to this comment): https://www.lg.com/au/support/support-product/lg-24MP48HQ In page 19 it explains:

Capture2.PNG.941e8912a4fb41cb02007a7950d198c5.PNG

I have also attached the manual here for ease of access :). I'm personally keeping it at High for Competitive FPS games like CS:GO. Still unaware of what exactly this changes but I will just go by the manual for now until I or someone else run some tests on this option. Enjoy!

MANUAL: 20_22_23_24_27_MP48_A_D_HQ_ENG_AU.pdf P.S For anyone wondering it is set to Medium by default.