solution for microphone problems

Sudo Chocolate

So I am trying to use a decent lapel mic I have for recording audio. I currently have it plugged into my computer via a 3.5 audio to XLR cable. The sound often becomes faint or glassy and I am not sure how to fix this. I am recording with audacity. I was thinking that a USB to XLR might work but am not sure what the best place to find this is. I would love a small  USB sound board but these get expensive and aren't small enough for my desk.

uh, you do not use a USB to XLR cable for a mic..

you use an audio interface

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Sudo Chocolate said:

So I am trying to use a decent lapel mic I have for recording audio. I currently have it plugged into my computer via a 3.5 audio to XLR cable. The sound often becomes faint or glassy and I am not sure how to fix this. I am recording with audacity. I was thinking that a USB to XLR might work but am not sure what the best place to find this is. I would love a small  USB sound board but these get expensive and aren't small enough for my desk.

What lapel mic has a xlr out.

The Dick of the audio page!

9 hours ago, Enderman said:

uh, you do not use a USB to XLR cable for a mic..

you use an audio interface

That is what I am currently using however is causes the problems I described. There is also static.

8 hours ago, EndlessOyster said:

What lapel mic has a xlr out.

Obviously mine! It is an Audio Technica although I don't quite remember the exact model. It has a belt-clip box that attaches to the mic and has an XLR out.

1 minute ago, Sudo Chocolate said:

That is what I am currently using however is causes the problems I described. There is also static.

what exactly are you using then

you said you were using a XLR to USB cable

you should be using something like this

focusrite_scarlett_2i2_angle.jpeg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

23 hours ago, Enderman said:

what exactly are you using then

you said you were using a XLR to USB cable

you should be using something like this

focusrite_scarlett_2i2_angle.jpeg

I am currently using an XLR to 3.5mm audio. I want something external that converts it to USB so as to avoid static. The picture is kind of what I am looking for but want suggestions that are fairly low price and pretty small so it can fit easily on my small desk.