rgb leds green wont turn off

pagani123

so i am not sure why this is happening but my rgb leds always have the green led on even if i press the "power" button to turn off the leds on the controller. does anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

thanks

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

@W-L any ideas?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

28 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

@W-L any ideas?

I'd try to resetting the controller by unplugging it and re-plugging it. Sounds like the unit isn't turning off the green power output line for some reason, maybe a potential fault. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

I'd try to resetting the controller by unplugging it and re-plugging it. Sounds like the unit isn't turning off the green power output line for some reason, maybe a potential fault. 

i have tried resetting the controller. what is potential fault?

2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

i have tried resetting the controller. what is potential fault?

It might potentially be a bad transistor or solid state relay inside that could have shorted in the on position but just to double check if you probe the connections with a multimeter when everything is set to off on the controller there shouldn't be any voltage readings. One thing though do you have any IR remotes in the area make sure they are off or not sending a signal since I've heard of people's LED's changing when they say change the channel on their TV. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It might potentially be a bad transistor or solid state relay inside that could have shorted in the on position but just to double check if you probe the connections with a multimeter when everything is set to off on the controller there shouldn't be any voltage readings. One thing though do you have any IR remotes in the area make sure they are off or not sending a signal since I've heard of people's LED's changing when they say change the channel on their TV. 

there are definitely no other ir remotes in the area but i will try probing it with a multimeter. could inconstant voltage cause any issues as it is running off of a lipo battery 

3 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

there are definitely no other ir remotes in the area but i will try probing it with a multimeter. could inconstant voltage cause any issues as it is running off of a lipo battery 

That can be a potentially issue if they got overvolted since li-po's voltages can vary quite a lot from charged and drained if they are directly connected. Most electronics require a constant voltage source so a voltage regulator might solve that problem, if you have a 12V wall adapter though I would test the controller on that first to see if it's just broken first. 

If you do need a new controller, they aren't overly expensive which is good:

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Remote-Controller-Light-Strip/dp/B00AF5YOK2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455070912&sr=8-3

15 minutes ago, W-L said:

That can be a potentially issue if they got overvolted since li-po's voltages can vary quite a lot from charged and drained if they are directly connected. Most electronics require a constant voltage source so a voltage regulator might solve that problem, if you have a 12V wall adapter though I would test the controller on that first to see if it's just broken first. 

If you do need a new controller, they aren't overly expensive which is good:

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Remote-Controller-Light-Strip/dp/B00AF5YOK2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455070912&sr=8-3

so just took a wall-wart psu tested it still doing the green thing and i just got it yesterday but i likely wont be able to return it because i striped the molex connector off 

8 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

so just took a wall-wart psu tested it still doing the green thing and i just got it yesterday but i likely wont be able to return it because i striped the molex connector off 

Yeah it sounds like a faulty unit unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah it sounds like a faulty unit unfortunately. 

ill contact the bs mods guys see if i can get a new one without the led strip might be a bit cheaper. i would just buy one on amazon but this controller that they have is really slim and weighs next to nothing. my temp solution for now is just to cut the green led pin on the connector 

12 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

ill contact the bs mods guys see if i can get a new one without the led strip might be a bit cheaper. i would just buy one on amazon but this controller that they have is really slim and weighs next to nothing. my temp solution for now is just to cut the green led pin on the connector 

Just curious what does the controller look like is it something kind of like this where it's in a small form factor:

http://www.icemodz.eu/store/#!/IR-Remote-RGB-Controller/p/47950627/category=5346676

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Just curious what does the controller look like is it something kind of like this where it's in a small form factor:

http://www.icemodz.eu/store/#!/IR-Remote-RGB-Controller/p/47950627/category=5346676

e0e5f7bbcc84e5e45f696e586bee5618?AccessK

Controller has blown.
One of the things we done while working on finding the good reliable controllers we would purposely break them just to see how hard/easy it was, and when the controller blows it would either stay off or one of the colours would stay permanently on, most of the time it was the green.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

1 hour ago, AddonCustoms said:

Controller has blown.
One of the things we done while working on finding the good reliable controllers we would purposely break them just to see how hard/easy it was, and when the controller blows it would either stay off or one of the colours would stay permanently on, most of the time it was the green.

ya i ordered a new one. but  if you find a reliable slim controller let me know 

17 hours ago, W-L said:

oh and just in case you guys where curious what i am using it for 

37 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

oh and just in case you guys where curious what i am using it for 

Oh that's cool, flash red and blue and it's the police xD 

17 minutes ago, W-L said:

Oh that's cool, flash red and blue and it's the police xD 

funny you should mention that now that the green led wire is clipped it is a police drone xD 

13 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

Took us a long time, but we managed it. :)  
You can find it on our store > HERE <, it also uses Radio frequency instead of Infrared so you don't need line of sight and works up to 15 meters away.

Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

4 hours ago, AddonCustoms said:

Took us a long time, but we managed it. :)  
You can find it on our store > HERE <, it also uses Radio frequency instead of Infrared so you don't need line of sight and works up to 15 meters away.

the only reason why i would be hesitant is the radio frequency might interfere with the radio frequency on the drone. i will eventually test it out with my drone as i am testing a bunch out for another forum and if it works i will be sending a lot of customers your way as many people on the forum have expressed interest in the rgb leds on a drone :) 

2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

the only reason why i would be hesitant is the radio frequency might interfere with the radio frequency on the drone. i will eventually test it out with my drone as i am testing a bunch out for another forum and if it works i will be sending a lot of customers your way as many people on the forum have expressed interest in the rgb leds on a drone :) 

All our RGB RF remotes use frequency: 433.92Mhz, we will be adding IR controllers soon.

You might be interested in our new spectrum line that will be getting released in a couple of months (hopefully), it is basically the NZXT Hue+ but with a remote instead of software, and unlike the standard RGB leds that run on 12v these will run on 5v so won't drain the battery as much, they also won't be as expensive as the Hue+. Our Spectrum series will have both IR and RF to choose from.

Never actually thought about LEDs for drones, that is definitely something we will look into, who knows maybe later in the year we could add a drone modding section to our store.

Addon Customs -

45 minutes ago, AddonCustoms said:

All our RGB RF remotes use frequency: 433.92Mhz, we will be adding IR controllers soon.

You might be interested in our new spectrum line that will be getting released in a couple of months (hopefully), it is basically the NZXT Hue+ but with a remote instead of software, and unlike the standard RGB leds that run on 12v these will run on 5v so won't drain the battery as much, they also won't be as expensive as the Hue+. Our Spectrum series will have both IR and RF to choose from.

Never actually thought about LEDs for drones, that is definitely something we will look into, who knows maybe later in the year we could add a drone modding section to our store.

theoretically it should not cause any issues with drones as they run on 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz. but there are a lot of subtle issues when it comes to led on drone. For example i had to cut the amount of led to about a quarter of what you see in the video because when I turned on all 3 colors at the same time to make white would suck to much power and cause a compass error.

But ya i am really interested in the spectrum it will certainly make it into my comparison of rgb leds when it comes out especially considering it only uses 5v. and i would love to see a drone modding section of your store 

on a side note though about what i am going through with the led controller i have, do you think inconsistent voltages from the lipo battery caused it to blow? If so any idea on how i could fix the issue with the next round of controllers i am getting (like a regulator of some sort)

6 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

on a side note though about what i am going through with the led controller i have, do you think inconsistent voltages from the lipo battery caused it to blow? If so any idea on how i could fix the issue with the next round of controllers i am getting (like a regulator of some sort)

For a constant voltage source you can use something like this and set the output voltage:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-Power-Supply-For-aeromodelling-/400362498785