Windows and Changing Platforms

(TL;DR AT BOTTOM, sorry if this is in the wrong subforum)

Today is (probably) the day. 

Today I am going to drive out to Micro Center and pick up some computer parts for the last upgrade I'm going to give my computer for a long while. Replacing the CPU and Motherboard.

Me and my 8350, we've been through a whole lot together. About 4 years ago this baby was brought home from the same store that is going to doom it, the Dallas Metroplex Micro Center. I am going today to buy a Z97 Motherboard and an i5-4590. I'm going to take the i7-4770 out of my sister's Dell XPS pre-built that we bought from a friend a year ago (since all she does is play Minecraft, yes I have permission) and I'm going to replace it with said i5. The reason I am buying Z97 for my locked i7 is that at Micro Center, most nice Z97 boards are down to around $110 + a $10 rebate. I also wanted it to look nice. That's the upgrade.

(TL;DR) So, I'm switching platforms. AM3+ to LGA 1150. My question is "do I need to reinstall Windows 10 with a platform change?" My guess is that it'll be like everybody else's upgrade, where you need to re-activate after a hardware upgrade (Thanks, Microassholes!) Their suggested way of doing so is installing an old version of Windows, then doing the free upgrade again. Is that the only way?

Thanks for reading.

I used to be quite active here.

That's not the only way to install Windows, but if you have the original Windows Install Disk, then do that, otherwise no. As for the reinstalling of Windows when hardware change, I don't know if you do or do not since I've never done that besides to RAM, and even then it was to my Dell Inspiron N4110 14R and even then I didn't need to reinstall Windows.

Brah, do you even Java?

always do a fresh install of your OS when you change your motherboard.You will have major headaches otherwise.

1 minute ago, GamerPro11 said:

Don't really need to do anything, just re-activate windows. I never had any problems with it. :)

I need to find my old Windows 7 key then, because I'll need to call Microsoft to get my Windows 10 upgrade activated. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

So, I'm switching platforms. AM3+ to LGA 1150. My question is "do I need to reinstall Windows 10 with a platform change?" My guess is that it'll be like everybody else's upgrade, where you need to re-activate after a hardware upgrade (Thanks, Microassholes!) Their suggested way of doing so is installing an old version of Windows, then doing the free upgrade again. Is that the only way?

Of course NOT.  You can change your mobo and so on- just use you current SSD (or HDD) with already installed W10. You'll need to change all drivers and you'll have to activate your W10 again- that's it, you DON'T need to install older Windows and upgrade... 

But it's preferably to do a clean install of W10... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Just now, Kobathor said:

I need to find my old Windows 7 key then, because I'll need to call Microsoft to get my Windows 10 upgrade activated. Thanks!

Wat? No. I can't really remember but i think you just have to call them and enter the code the Automated voice thingy tells you.

Just now, GamerPro11 said:

Wat? No. I can't really remember but i think you just have to call them and enter the code the Automated voice thingy tells you.

wat

I'll Google it