Amazon releases its new game engine based on CryEngine

Amazon went from an EBAY Clone to one of the biggest online stores thats making films and game engine

6 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Amazon. As in Amazon.com?

Don't think the rain forest in Brazil is buying video game engines.

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

True, but you can turn it off.  It's not like you are forced to use it.  You can always get more detail out of things like fan made mods.  Even when I run Nvidia I turn crap like V-syn/any kinda sync+AA+tesselation off.  The other settings do it for me, and I'm not a graphics hound rabid fanboy, so more frames with enough detail>too much detail and frame drops.

Indeed.

Yea, I kinda do the same. I usually force tessellation at 4x. I have a 280x and I know that it can't deal with tessellation on any game, not just Crysis. As much as I love AMD for their price:performance, I know that nVidia is a step ahead.

For example, and knowing that both side have their bugs and shizzle, you look at AMD patch notes, after waiting months for decent drivers, and you see tons of games with "serious" bugs, like not working on freesync, this flickers, that crashes, this doesn't scale. Lately, a hotfix for a hotfix on latest crimson. wtf

But yea, most of this doesn't apply to me as my 280x is still kicking ass and I don't use freesync or xfire.

11 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Yup.  They mentioned they wanted to get more into the gaming industry.

What the fuck

Amazon needs to stay out of it, selling stuff is enough. We already have way too many cancerous developers.

2 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

I meant that if this late in the game, if the GPU architecture they designed still lacked async shader engine capabilities, they could make a secondary chip for that purpouse to go on the PCB, separate from the GPU itself, like they did with the Fermi H.264 unit. So the assembled card would be the Frankenstein, not the GPU itself.

Yeah, but I doubt they made a new GPU (which supposedly hasn't even taped out yet) without implementing full DX12.1 support.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Hmm, interesting. I can see the point of collaborating with an already establish player, and build upon that with their own services, but then I would guess amazon would had to dump a whole lot of $$. 

Free for single-player, but you will end up paying if you want to use amazon cloud services. Is there any info regarding developers having the choice of developing their own multi-platform system?

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

wonder if this will turn Amazon's fire TV or next product from the same category into a cheaper, viable console competitor

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, Tomsen said:

Hmm, interesting. I can see the point of collaborating with an already establish player, and build upon that with their own services, but then I would guess amazon would had to dump a whole lot of $$. 

Free for single-player, but you will end up paying if you want to use amazon cloud services. Is there any info regarding developers having the choice of developing their own multi-platform system?

If you are making a game that uses cloud services, you will have to use their cloud services. So pretty much for multiplayer games you need to set up servers through amazon.

here's what's said on the AWS agreement:

57.4 Operating Restrictions. Without our prior written consent, (a) the Lumberyard Materials (including any permitted modifications and derivatives) may only be run on computer equipment owned and operated by you or your End Users, or on AWS Services, and may not be run on any Alternate Web Service and (b) your Lumberyard Project may not read data from or write data to any Alternate Web Service. “Alternate Web Service” means any non-AWS web service that is similar to or can act as a replacement for the services listed at docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/userguide/alternate-web-services .

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.