Cooler Master Nepton 240M Silencio Rattling

Hey there, 

So about a month ago I bought a new Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO cooler for my system. It's cooling a Xeon E3 1231-V3 on an Asus Z97-K motherboard. This is a great performing cooler and is advertised with silence. I've heard great things about the Silencio fans which come with the unit, though mine are not so silent. 

When the fans reach a certain level of RPM's, a VERY audible rattling noise can be heard.

I have confirmed the issue to be with the fans and not the pump simply by blocking the fans when the noise was present. As the fans were blocked by my finger, thus causing them to not spin, the noise stopped. I pull my finger out, the fans spin up and BAM... noise. It's worse than a baby playing with a rattler. 

The fans are both connected to the PWM splitter that came with the cooler. That splitter is plugged into the Chassis_1 fan header on the motherboard, right next to the CPU fan header. 

I have tried both push and pull configurations with the fans on the radiator and there was no difference. 

The noise has been appearing ever since about day 3 of owning the cooler.

Is there an easy fix to this? I really don't want to have to take the cooler back as it is a MASSIVE inconvenience. 

My Build: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/PJpnYJ 

EDIT: 

The problem with the fans has been fixed, but there is a similar, yet significantly less audible, rattling noise coming from the pump. 

Edited by Limo1300

Have you tried just lowering fan speeds?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried just lowering fan speeds?

I have, and it works. However, when I'm gaming or rendering stuff, I want my CPU to stay cool, which means increasing the fan speed. 

1 minute ago, Limo1300 said:

I have, and it works. However, when I'm gaming or rendering stuff, I want my CPU to stay cool, which means increasing the fan speed. 

What are your peak temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Not sure, will run some benchmarks now on low fan speed and get back to you in a bit

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

With the fans on the lowest setting and the pump at full, looks like at idle I'm sitting at and average of 35 C with a peak of 43 C. Under load, I'm getting an average of about 68 C with a high of 72 C. 

Honestly, I'm not very unhappy with these temps, though my issue is that I don't want to have to have my fans the lowest setting all the time. 

Also, the fans are plugged into the Chassis_2 fan header on the motherboard, next to the CPU fan header. 

Okay, I don't know what happened, but the fans fixed themselves. 

Now I can hear a similar noise which is quieter, but still noticeable, coming from the pump. I don't know how to go about this as when I change the speed of the pump in my bios, it just resets it back. Apparently it's minimum speed is 97% usage (around 2600 RPM), which is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Limo1300 said:

Okay, I don't know what happened, but the fans fixed themselves. 

Now I can hear a similar noise which is quieter, but still noticeable, coming from the pump. I don't know how to go about this as when I change the speed of the pump in my bios, it just resets it back. Apparently it's minimum speed is 97% usage (around 2600 RPM), which is ridiculous. 

I used to have Cooler Master Seidon 120V cooling my CPU. It always had (similar to your description) clicking noise coming from the pump, usually on the start up. Always thought it was just a CM pump thing.

Born to game, forced to work.  -_-

32 minutes ago, johnnysasaki said:

clicking noise coming from the pump, usually on the start up. Always thought it was just a CM pump thing.

Yeah. Sort of like a rattling noise? It is most noticeable on start up. 

If it is a CM pump thing, then that's gonna really suck because everything else about this cooler is awesome! Amazing fans, good temps and a white LED on the pump. Looks good, performs good, sound good, then a rattle snake appeared. 

If I were to return the cooler, what other coolers are out there that have great thermals, great acoustics (noise levels), looks relatively nice or minimalistic and has a price point of $150 AUD or less? 240mm or 280mm radiator sizes are fine as I will soon be upgrading my case. Thinking about the Define S. 

6 hours ago, Limo1300 said:

Honestly, I'm not very unhappy with these temps, though my issue is that I don't want to have to have my fans the lowest setting all the time. 

Why not? There's nothing wrong with running fans at as low as possible for lower noise. 

I was used to running my Noctuas at 7% until I switched to my current Gigabyte motherboard that had a fan controller that didn't allow for manual settings by default and isn't supported by SpeedFan yet. 

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why not? There's nothing wrong with running fans at as low as possible for lower noise. 

I suppose so. 

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I was used to running my Noctuas at 7% until I switched to my current Gigabyte motherboard that had a fan controller that didn't allow for manual settings by default and isn't supported by SpeedFan yet. 

This SpeedFan thing, would it be able to control the speed of the pump do you think? If the pump speed was reduced, I think I may be able to get rid of the rattling noise coming from it. 

33 minutes ago, Limo1300 said:

I suppose so. 

This SpeedFan thing, would it be able to control the speed of the pump do you think? If the pump speed was reduced, I think I may be able to get rid of the rattling noise coming from it. 

Probably--it would depend on the pump. 

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Probably--it would depend on the pump. 

I'll give it a go tonight if I have time. Does it support Windows 10? 

5 minutes ago, Limo1300 said:

I'll give it a go tonight if I have time. Does it support Windows 10? 

I suppose so? Haven't moved to 10 yet.