Intel Might be Forcing Ban on Non-K OC Feature on Skylake Motherboards

Mr_Troll

Intel Might Be Planning To Disable Non-K Skylake OC Support From LGA 1151 Motherboards

A few months after the launch of the latest Skylake processors, built for the mainstream desktop market, Intel’s board partners released launched a new BIOS for the motherboards which enabled a feature and was referred to as “Non-K OC”. Different manufacturers have given this feature a different name, ASRock calls it Sky OC and Biostar calls it Hyper OC but almost all vendors offer the same feature on their motherboards. The vendors that offer this feature for their motherboards include ASRock, MSI, EVGA, BIOSTAR and ASUS. Since all vendors are on board with this feature, there’s little reason to restrict them from offering Non-K OC features on their Z170 / H170 / B170 / B150 products.

Every processor aside from the top-end K-Series features a locked multiplier design which limits overclocking. The Non-K OC feature allows users to adjust BCLK (Base Clock Frequency) to overclock their Non-K processors. So far, Skylake users have seen some good results by overclocking their budget processors through this feature and reported some good performance increases. In our own performance testing for an upcoming review, we saw some decent results by overclocking a Core i3-6100 chip on a Z170 motherboard. The processor exceeds the single-threaded performance of an Haswell Core i7-4770K chip in Cinebench which is impressive and rocks a hyper-threaded design.

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Skylake-Non-K-OC_2.jpg

While Intel has not yet released the BIOS to disable Non-K OC, the have definitely planned to release it some time soon as fragments of the code can be found in the current BIOS which was shipped to fix the Prime 95 bug that was found a few weeks ago on Skylake chips. This might be a disappointing decision by Intel but the chip giant has states that the overclocking feature may cause temperature detection and instruction set failure and prolong usage of a processor in overclock conditions may lead to non-stable conditions. I personally think that everyone who knows a thing or two about overclocking is aware of these downsides but at the same time, the advantages of overclocking their chips are plenty.

If Intel does ban Non-K OC on their Skylake chips, then this would be the same scenario that happened three years ago when they actively blocked Non-Z OC for their K-Series Haswell processors. Back then, Intel didn’t allowed Non-Z motherboards from offering overclocking on the K-Series Haswell processors. A person who owned a Z87 motherboard could only have overclocked their chips but vendors reverted that and offered the support on their budget H87 and B85 products. Right now, ASRock’s Sky OC does the same by not only allowing Non-K overclock support but also Non-Z overclock support for Skylake processors. But with Intel releasing their new BIOS fix, we might say overclocking on mainstream chips farewell once and for all.

But why Intel? On the other side it makes sense that they are doing that. cuz they wont sell many 6600 and 6700k proccesors when u can buy a cheaper one a overclock the hell out of it.

Source:https://news.xfastest.com/intel/16141/intel-b150-h170-z170-nokoc/

https://benchlife.info/intel-will-fix-non-k-processors-overclock-by-follow-up-bios-updates-01312016/

http://wccftech.com/intel-forcing-ban-nonk-oc-feature-skylake-motherboards-bios-rolling/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

That would be a supremely shitty thing to do. So get it done before Zen is out so you just don't push people to AMD in disgust.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I knew it'd only be a matter of time before they try to lock it down

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

How effective was this type of overclocking, anyways? I was under the impression that it didn't get you as much as Base Clock OCing so it should be fine to offer it for less.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Just now, Ryoutarou97 said:

How effective was this type of overclocking, anyways? I was under the impression that it didn't get you as much as Base Clock OCing so it should be fine to offer it for less.

Considering the reason they're not -K SKU chips because they're towards the bottom of the barrel, not really effective. They're defective in some way and that's why Intel chose not to make the able to OC in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

That would be a supremely shitty thing to do. So get it done before Zen is out so you just don't push people to AMD in disgust.

8 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I knew it'd only be a matter of time before they try to lock it down

This is only a rumor. There's no source for any of this yet.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Now that people know, user made BIOS's will become available for download as soon as Intel bans the manufacturers from doing it.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

2 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

Now that people know, user made BIOS's will become available for download as soon as Intel bans the manufacturers from doing it.

People don't know jack. This is a pure speculation article with no sources for any of the major claims.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

People don't know jack. This is a pure speculation article with no sources for any of the major claims.

I meant now that people know it's possible to alter the BIOS and allow OC'ing

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

13 minutes ago, Jstone said:

Either way I still see intel being better than amd

The most retarded I read today, thanks for that ^^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, AHaskin14 said:

I meant now that people know it's possible to alter the BIOS and allow OC'ing

Or they could stay on an older BIOS that allows them to do it.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Ban or not, Its only an issue if you NEED the new bios updates because something is critically wrong.

I still can OC on my H87 asrock board and the latest bios which can disable the feature took 2 years to arrive.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

The most retarded I read today, thanks for that ^^

how is it? Is it just because you cant actually admit that AMD is going down the tolitoe and in the end in almost every condition Intel will out preform AMD

Just now, Jstone said:

how is it? Is it just because you cant actually admit that AMD is going down the tolitoe and in the end in almost every condition Intel will out preform AMD

How is it? I didn't say it's not true. I said it's retarded because it is NOT RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC WHATSOEVER and is a just trash flame-starting statement

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Jstone said:

For now.

We've still to see what Zen will bring to the table. Until then, the jury is out.

DAYTONA

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

How is it? I didn't say it's not true. I said it's retarded because it is NOT RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC WHATSOEVER and is a just trash flame-starting statement

I was referring that to andother thing that someone else had said about a few post above mine, if you would have read it " That would be a supremely shitty thing to do. So get it done before Zen is out so you just don't push people to AMD in disgust. " I qouted it in here for you to read.

lol. gg shittel

Just now, Jstone said:

I was referring that to andother thing that someone else had said about a few post above mine, if you would have read it " That would be a supremely shitty thing to do. So get it done before Zen is out so you just don't push people to AMD in disgust. " I qouted it in here for you to read.

But that's true what he said, doing that later would cause a drop in sales, maybe not a significant one but still a drop, and it would work in favor of AMD regardless if their Zen CPUs were good or bad, that's how the market works sadly, it's not always who's product is better but who plays their cards better

But that's true what he said, doing that later would cause a drop in sales, maybe not a significant one but still a drop, and it would work in favor of AMD regardless if their Zen CPUs were good or bad, that's how the market works sadly, it's not always who's product is better but who plays their cards better

It would only be a drop within the small amount of people who build their own. The people who go down to best buy or the apple store will still be getting intel chips within their laptops or desktops. 

...that's how the market works sadly, it's not always who's product is better but who plays their cards better

And this, ladies and gents, is why Windows became the dominant operating system.

DAYTONA

Just now, Jstone said:

It would only be a drop within the small amount of people who build their own. The people who go down to best buy or the apple store will still be getting intel chips within their laptops or desktops. 

You do know that plenty of laptops have AMD's APUs in them, right?
Yes, there are more laptops with Intel stuff than AMD stuff, but regardless, they exist in plentiful quantities.

DAYTONA

I knew this would happen eventually, and is the reason why as a company I like AMD more than Intel.

25 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

It was actually pretty effective. Most people could hit 4.5 ghz and above on the 6500, and a few were reaching 4.8. You were essentially getting 6600k performance out of a 6500.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, Jstone said:

AMD actually has a fair share of mobile chips, IIRC they had majority of marketshare in one mobile segment of the market, can't remember which one, sadly.

But that is also not relevant to the topic, what should be said is that doing this later on would only be a bad move, maybe they wouldn't lose much sales to AMD, maybe only 1%, maybe not at all, that doesn't change the fact that it creates bad reputation, Nvidia despite being a leader on the market has done many shitty things to people, people still buy them a lot, and that's okay, but the reputation sticks to them.

That's what people do, for example look what the reference cooler did to R9 290/290X cards, a Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X doesn't even go above 68-70 degrees Celsius and yet people say these cards sound like jet engines and work at 95 degrees because of what they read/heard. That had to affect the sales of those GPUs quite a bit despite the issue only concerning reference designs

1 minute ago, daniellearmouth said:

You do know that plenty of laptops have AMD's APUs in them, right?
Yes, there are more laptops with Intel stuff than AMD stuff, but regardless, they exist in plentiful quantities.

The majority though have intel. Intel has been the dominate force, look at what happen to apple. They use to only have AMD but then they switched because AMD was not working well for them. Intel may have made a miss step here but at the end of the day how many people are overclocking their cpu's The average Joe isn't going to and thats ok. Overclocking is nice but how many people actually overclock their CPU's other than enthusiasts. In the average market not many people do.