64 Bit or 32 Bit?

razorclaw123

How do I chose what Bit version of windows/any software to have? Do I pick it on what my CPU is Bit based on? Or do I pick it on what Bit version my operating system currently is? please answer, and thank you 

During download it'll ask if you want a 32 bit (i386) or 64 bit (amd64 or x86_64) installation -- you pretty much only want 64bit nowadays, unless you're running on tiny systems. If you're running 64 bit, get 64 bit applications, if possible. If it's not offered, it's fine.

tl;dr:

32 bit can't run 64 bit stuff - also can only use 3GB of RAM.

64 bit can run both 64 and 32 bit applications, incredibly high limitations.

Go to "System" int he control panel. It will tell you there. 

Almost all systems are running 64 operating bit these days, and you should use 64 bit unless it's a legacy system or something. 

Also, 32 bit windows can only use 4 GiBs of ram. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Based on how much memory you have, and whether you have any old 16-bit programs you want to still be able to run (natively).

99.9% of the time you can just forget about all that and just go 64-bit.

6 minutes ago, razorclaw123 said:

How do I chose what Bit version of windows/any software to have? Do I pick it on what my CPU is Bit based on? Or do I pick it on what Bit version my operating system currently is? please answer, and thank you 

64 bit is usually the best. 64 bit allows users to use more than 4gb of RAM. 64 bit is usually the best choice for the most part as most programs now a days use 64 bit. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

if you have a modern CPU, they are 64-bit. 64-bit operating systems are supposed to correspond with the chipset/CPU. 
Again if you are buying a new system, get a 64-bit OS. If this is for an older computer, you might need 32-bit.

I know that 64 Bit is better by a ton, i'm asking how I can tell what Bit machine I have? Is it by the CPU I have or is it by the operating system? thanks!

4 minutes ago, razorclaw123 said:

I know that 64 Bit is better by a ton, i'm asking how I can tell what Bit machine I have? Is it by the CPU I have or is it by the operating system? thanks!

Well, by the OS. I gave the instructions for windows above. BUT some older systems are simply not compatible. 

Find your CPU in Intel's "ark" or whatever the hell AMD has on their website and look under "instruction set"

http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz - i7-2600k

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

13 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Well, by the OS. I gave the instructions for windows above. BUT some older systems are simply not compatible. 

Find your CPU in Intel's ""ark or whatever the hell AMD has on their website and look under "instruction set"

http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz - i7-2600k

I see, so the type of CPU Bits you have effect if it could handle a 64 Bit OS or not. and i'm guessing by your first sentence that if you download a software with a 64 Bit workload, it would have to be compatible with a 64 Bit OS. If the OS isn't 64 Bit (which bases on the CPU) but the software is 64 Bit, it won't handle it. am I right? Appreciate the help!

Just now, razorclaw123 said:

I see, so the type of CPU Bits you have effect if it could handle a 64 Bit OS or not. and i'm guessing by your first sentence that if you download a software with a 64 Bit workload, it would have to be compatible with a 64 Bit OS. If the OS isn't 64 Bit (which bases on the CPU) but the software is 64 Bit, it won't handle it. am I right? Appreciate the help!

You can install a 32 bit os on a CPU with a 64 bit instruction set, but not the other way around. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I know. Though If the OS isn't 64 Bit, but the CPU is. Would it handle a certain 64 Bit software?

No! If you have a 32 bit O/S then you can only run 32 bit software. If you have a 64 bit O/S then you can run 64 and 32 bit software. Capische?

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

20 minutes ago, razorclaw123 said:

I know. Though If the OS isn't 64 Bit, but the CPU is. Would it handle a certain 64 Bit software?

To run 64-bit software, both the CPU and the OS have to be 64-bit.

Any modern CPU is 64-bit, so it really only depends on the OS.