PC won't reboot/restart

rsorujlall

so i have this issue where i'm updating a old pc but having some issue. i'll start from the beginning.

So the PC in question is an HP Prodesk 400 G1 
Specs: Intel i5-4570 @3.2GHz
           On-board HD 4600 Graphics 
           4GB DDR3 800MHz RAM
           500GB SATA 7200rpm HD
           240 Watt powersupply
           Motherboard Model: Hewlett Packard 18E9
           Motherboard Chipset:Intel H81 (Lynx Point)

It's a home PC not meant for gaming but i want to upgrade it a little and maybe eventually play some simple games on low settings. i know i will need a dedicated graphics card and a way better power supply but i started simple with the upgrades as i'm on a budget. 

I replaced the RAM with 8GB of Kingston Fury HyperX in a single slot (intend on buying a second 8GB soon for the other slot) Tested and worked fine

I was able to source a Intel i7-4790 for a pretty low price with a trade. I replaced the stock i5 with the i7 and the system was able to boot fine with a old windows 7 install on the HD. The bios even detected the new CPU just fine with after a while or playing around i noticed the every time i try to restart the pc with hang on restart. what i mean is the windows will shutdown but never turn back on itself. the cpu fan will keep spinning and the pc power light will stay solid. 

at first i thought it was the windows on the HD and i was planning on doing a fresh install anyway so i disconnect the hard drive and power on the pc to the bios. made some changed in the boot order to boot from a flash drive and then tried to restart the pc and again it hang. 

Ctrl + Alt + Del would cause a pc to reboot when press at a startup message like "no HD found" etc but even that hangs. the pc turns off fine if you just select power off and powers on ok if you press the power button but RESTART is the issue. it hangs after powering of.. I have to either pull the power cord or press and hold the power button to fully turn off and then press it again to turn it back on. 

Can you assist me in figuring out what is the issue. i know its something with the CPU because putting back the i5 inside will cause it to work just find but it just doesn't play well with the i7 on restart dispute the bios and even windows working fine with the i7 

I know its alot to read but please. i'm not very tech savvy but i'd very much like to get the PC working as it should 

Check to see if you have the latest bios firmwire. If you dont Try updating to the latest bios and let us now how that goes.

Check to see if you have the latest bios firmwire. If you dont Try updating to the latest bios and let us now how that goes.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS
This document includes the steps for finding, downloading, and installing updates to the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) or ROM (ROMPaq) for your HP or Compaq computer.

As a general rule of thumb you should never really update the bios firmware unless your having stability issues or you need support for new/newer cpu's

If it isn't broke don't fix it lol

Can you assist me in figuring out what is the issue. i know its something with the CPU because putting back the i5 inside will cause it to work just find but it just doesn't play well with the i7 on restart dispute the bios and even windows working fine with the i7 

Proprietary motherboards rarely play well with upgrades........

You're gonna need to keep the old CPU in there until you can get an aftermarket board, which will be compatible with your new processor and other parts.

i'm so sorry i completely forgot to mention i did update the bios and it was the same result. it completely slipped my mind to add that part in after typing so much, the issue still exist after a bios update. the release notes for the bios update are: 

- Added support for Windows 10
- Updated OSI
- F11 recovery
- New featurebyte for Win10
- DBX initialization

could it be the motherboard despite it being detected in the bios and also able to boot into windows and showing up just fine? is this even a big issue? 

i'm just worried that this might be a sign of a bigger issue before i invest any more money into upgrades 

Proprietary motherboards rarely play well with upgrades........

You're gonna need to keep the old CPU in there until you can get an aftermarket board, which will be compatible with your new processor and other parts.

hmm i was afraid of that. but is there anyway we can confirm it is in fact the motherboard and not something else before i go out and order a new motherboard

hmm i was afraid of that. but is there anyway we can confirm it is in fact the motherboard and not something else before i go out and order a new motherboard

All motherboards are not equal.  Aftermarket boards are meant for people who want to pick and choose their components.  Your proprietary board is not.  Its not designed for wide product support, upgrades, or custom builds.  Its meant to be put into a HP designed and built system.

i don't mean to doubt anything you say and i really do appreciate all the help but is there any way we can confirm it?

there is a verion of the same pc i have, same model number and everything that comes with an i7 just the version i bought was the i5 version

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-prodesk-400-g1-core-i7-4770-3-4-ghz-8-gb-1-tb/specs/

i don't mean to doubt anything you say and i really do appreciate all the help but is there any way we can confirm it?

there is a verion of the same pc i have, same model number and everything that comes with an i7 just the version i bought was the i5 version

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-prodesk-400-g1-core-i7-4770-3-4-ghz-8-gb-1-tb/specs/

The only i7 processors compatible with that board are the 4770, 4770s and 4771.  A total of 3 processors.  It supports 6 - i5 processors, the 4670, 4670s, 4570, 4570s, 4430, and 4430s. 

The only way you're going to get support for the 4790 is to buy an aftermarket board, period.

Download(1).pdf

The only i7 processors compatible with that board are the 4770, 4770s and 4771.  A total of 3 processors.  It supports 6 - i5 processors, the 4670, 4670s, 4570, 4570s, 4430, and 4430s. 

The only way you're going to get support for the 4790 is to buy an aftermarket board, period.

i see. i appreciate the help. i'll have to save up and buy a new case and power supply and motherboard. thanks for the help

i see. i appreciate the help. i'll have to save up and buy a new case and power supply and motherboard. thanks for the help

No problem.  BTW I left an attachment for a PDF file for you to download in my last post if you still need to confirm what I said.

No problem.  BTW I left an attachment for a PDF file for you to download in my last post if you still need to confirm what I said.

i saw it. i'm going through it now. thanks. one last question. i know there are probably a few forums dedicated to this question but just wanted to ask as i have your attention. is buying a used motherboard off ebay worth it or do you suggest just save up and buy a new motherboard?

is buying a used motherboard off ebay worth it or do you suggest just save up and buy a new motherboard?

If its a nice model and the price is right, sure, theres nothing wrong with used parts.  Most important step when buying used on the bay is make sure to only buy from sellers that have a good return policy.