How to Mod a Case to Allow for PCI Riser for GPU?

delslow

I'm interested in modding my Define S to show my GPU card in the window area.  I'd like to mount it vertically showing off my waterblock.  To accomplish this, I'm aiming to use a PCI riser and cutting some holes in the back of my Define S.

Something like this.  Anyone have any ideas if parts have been created to facilitate this, or is this a complete DIY mod?

post-183251-0-80601400-1453176113_thumb.

this is full DIY

you just need some good metal cutting device and slice a hole the right size

then just screw the GPU in and youre done

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm interested in modding my Define S to show my GPU card in the window area.  I'd like to mount it vertically showing off my waterblock.  To accomplish this, I'm aiming to use a PCI riser and cutting some holes in the back of my Define S.

Something like this.  Anyone have any ideas if parts have been created to facilitate this, or is this a complete DIY mod?

I've seen some do it with single slot GPU's and a side mount PCI-E slot like on the define R4 but if you want a dual slot it's doable, you would want to source a PCI-E slot like this and make a cutout in the case to facilitate it. 

http://www.mountainmods.com/pci-modular-io-bracket-p-701.html

Duct tape

or a dremel and a drill just make sure to measure twice cut once. You might want to think about a support for the far end of the card so the weight isn't all resting on the one side.

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

just barely came across this 

http://smile.amazon.com/Thermaltake-PCI-E-Flexible-Extension-AC-039-CN1OTN-C1/dp/B0195XYVMK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453173929&sr=8-2&keywords=pcie+riser

but otherwise I mean, I think you should cut a hole and find some rubber siding to surround it so it doesn't look bad and you won't cut yourself. and if you somehow can I would bend the top of that cut at a 90 degree angle and drill a couple holes just so you can screw in the card on the back where the PCI slots would connect.

then you'll need something to hold the rest of it up.. thats going to be the hard part. maybe something like this?

http://mnpctech.com/gpu-support-bracket/mnpctech-gpu-support-bracket.html

but dang man that actually looks really sick. I would love a case that did that by default.

I've seen some do it with single slot GPU's and a side mount PCI-E slot like on the define R4 but if you want a dual slot it's doable, you would want to source a PCI-E slot like this and make a cutout in the case to facilitate it. 

http://www.mountainmods.com/pci-modular-io-bracket-p-701.html

Yeah, that's the ticket... but 25 bucks after shipping.  Some of these mods seem silly since the case itself is like 65 bucks.  LoL.  =/

Yeah, that's the ticket... but 25 bucks after shipping.  Some of these mods seem silly since the case itself is like 65 bucks.  LoL.  =/

If your up the the challenge it may be a better to make something yourself at that point. If you create a layout of the slots you could cut it out as others have suggested.

If your up the the challenge it may be a better to make something yourself at that point. If you create a layout of the slots you could cut it out as others have suggested.

If I were to DIY it, I'd cut a large hold, then use a 2nd plate with the template cut in and bolt it on.  That way, I can mess up a bunch of times until I get it right.  Plus I think it'll end up looking a lot cleaner.  Would be a hell of a project I think.

If I were to DIY it, I'd cut a large hold, then use a 2nd plate with the template cut in and bolt it on.  That way, I can mess up a bunch of times until I get it right.  Plus I think it'll end up looking a lot cleaner.  Would be a hell of a project I think.

That would be a good idea give you some room for adjustment also. 

• 7 months later...

Researching the vertical mount GPU myself, found this video:

Could be your video of the completed mod (same case etc), not sure, but either way it's cool and may give others inspiration. The rubber grommet was a neat touch.

For my case, I'm looking for a similar style aluminium (is the correct spelling lol) bracket but for 5-7 slots so I can mount 2 GPUs and a sound card, perhaps a SATA 6Gb/s card (old motherboard) in the area of my horizontal slots. Might just remove the metal between each of the slots and create a mount at the top and a support at the bottom. It's not a fancy case so just has to work but is early days yet...