CST VR Glasses - A VR headset for your phone

christianled59

post-50860-0-46669700-1452746207_thumb.j

Intro:

I received a VR headset for review from Gearbest. This headset looks a lot like a cheaper alternative to Samsung Gear VR, or a more deluxe Google Cardboard. Keeping the prices and functionality of both of these devices in mind, I'll use them as a critical comparison of the product.

Overview:

The device has a pretty solid build quality over the google cardboard(as to be expected). I was impressed with the comfort of the headstraps and how well it fit my face for the price. It has a useful lens adjustment system. However, one major flaw I had with my device was the distance adjuster(controlled by the dials). It would constantly come loose doing use. Not a huge deal but still worth mentioning.

post-50860-0-15277400-1452746321_thumb.j

It has a simple but versatile phone mounting system that you simply pace into a spring vise. It has a magnet that latches it closed. This was nice but I feel a button would be better as it would often be difficult to remove phone if necessary.

post-50860-0-46001600-1452746387_thumb.j

The lenses were optimal; they worked without issue. The were easily adjustable with a wheel at the top of the device.

post-50860-0-87843500-1452746441_thumb.j

Major complaints:

Other than the distance messing up, one thing would have liked to see was a trigger, so I could tap the screen without taking it out. Many games take advantage of this considering the cardboard had one. 

Conclusion:

For $30USD, I can't complain. It's a neat toy to have around. It even has some practical uses, if you need to view a 3d model. I had great fun with it, even on my not so ideal Moto G. It works best on faster and bigger phones, i.e. iphone 6. I got to try it on a 6s and a 6plus. Both amazing experiences that can be compared to Oculus DK1 demos. 

In comparison to a Samsung gear, I'd get this over that considering the uses are pretty limited. For a phone, it's mostly a gimmick. As for over the Google cardboard, I'd recommend this if you have a bit extra money and would rather not hold a piece of cardboard to your face like an idiot. Overall excellent device.

http://www.gearbest.com/virtual-reality/pp_242012.html

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Can you use software to turn your phone into a VR headset for your PC? would it work? Well?

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Can you use software to turn your phone into a VR headset for your PC? would it work? Well?

Not sure, I'd have to look into that. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.