Dan A4 SFX Future Build

roblesaturcamilo

Hi everybody!

I got a ambitious plan for a future build on a Dan A4 SFX case (whenever this one is released)

post-300618-0-77342500-1452529169.png

My plan consist in using this case with this components:

1. ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT

post-300618-0-65076200-1452529289.png

2. Intel I7 6700k

post-300618-0-42332600-1452529711.png

3. Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

post-300618-0-56465600-1452532234.png

4. EVGA 980 TI KINGPIN

post-300618-0-17718300-1452532377.png

5. Cryorig C7 Fan CPU Cooler (100W TDP, 47mm)

post-300618-0-27054800-1452568239.png

6. Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (just for now...)

post-300618-0-67289300-1452533590.png

7. PSU...

Here is the problem... It needs to be a SFX or SFX-L power supply...

The options: ( maybe another suggestion? )

1. SilverStone 500W SFX-L:

post-300618-0-38278900-1452533735.png

Don't think it will be enough power, but is so beautiful   ;)

2.  SilverStone 600W SFX:

post-300618-0-90005500-1452533814.png

Probably is "enough" power, but i just hate the way it looks...

3. SilverStone 700W SFX-L:

post-300618-0-09518900-1452533854.png

Not released yet... On a expo almost 8 months ago, no further news... BUT IT'S JUST PERFECT!

4. Athena Power Apollo 700W Micro SFX:

post-300618-0-87964600-1452533895.png

I would hate to be forced to take this one (non modular, unknown brand) BUT !!! Is for sale right now...

So... What do you think guys???

HINT: the 980 ti KINGPIN uses 300w of power and it uses 8+8+6 PCI connectors...

EDIT: change the dummy cpu cooler for a real one

get the 600w silverstone good psu and mroe juice is better if budget is not a concern and from your build that is probably the case. and get a better cpu cooler like silverstone have one which is still short enough but better cooling or from noctua. that looks like just a slightly quieter stock cooler to me. and you have a 6700k you gonna wanna oc it a bit anyway. 

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Thanks for the advice about the cooler, is just the one that i have right now, considering that the maximum height for that case is 48mm, there is no many choices...

I was considering getting the noctua l9i cooler, but it's for "no more than 65w TDP", and the I7 6700k is 95w...

600W is the best option and are you kidding us with that cooler.

After searching for a while, i'm gonna use the CRYORIG C7, is 47mm (case's max is 48mm) an it has a 100W TDP

The cooler that i posted before is the only low profile cpu fan that i have with me right now, but thanks for opening my eyes to that big mistake...   

After searching for a while, i'm gonna use the CRYORIG C7, is 47mm (case's max is 48mm) an it has a 100W TDP

The cooler that i posted before is the only low profile cpu fan that i have with me right now, but thanks for opening my eyes to that big mistake...   

The Cryorig C7 seems to be the best choice in this case. However, I don't think you have much overclocking headroom. A bit wasted for the "K" of your 6700K.

The Cryorig C7 seems to be the best choice in this case. However, I don't think you have much overclocking headroom. A bit wasted for the "K" of your 6700K.

It's surprising what smaller coolers can do nowadays. Apparently, the L9x65 performs similarly to the 212 EVO (so I'm told....)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I think the Asus board could be a bad choice for my A4-SFX, because the PWM-board, audio-board and RAM make a wall around the CPU, so the heat could not exhaust good enough. I think the Asus Z170I Pro is a better choice.

It's surprising what smaller coolers can do nowadays. Apparently, the L9x65 performs similarly to the 212 EVO (so I'm told....)

Exactly because I had a L9x65 on a 4790K(now with D9L) before. That's why I guess the OP doesn't have much overclocking headroom.

Well... in my case i already have in my possesion a 6700k, a maximus impact viii, the kingpin 980 ti and a samsung 850 pro from my current build...

However you are right about that, is a waste of a "k" 

I think the Asus board could be a bad choice for my A4-SFX, because the PWM-board, audio-board and RAM make a wall around the CPU, so the heat could not exhaust good enough. I think the Asus Z170I Pro is a better choice.

So you found me Dan :)

Well as i said before i already have that mobo, but you are absolutely right about the exhaust issue...

I guess i should give it a try, whenever i can get your case, and do some benchs...

You got me thinking... Considering that you are saying that the asus z170 pro is a better choice...

Do you think that there will be no heat problems with the m.2 slot in between the mobo and the gpu, with a backplate in many cases?

Let's take the Samsung 950 pro, and the system under heavy load.

The thermal throttling of it is 75 degrees. and it will be sandwiched by 55-65 degrees of my kingpin (hopefully :S), and maybe another 60-70 degrees of the 6700k...

The K|NGP|N ain't gonna fit, I can see it from the photos.

Even though the A4 supports large GPUs, the card is much, much taller than a normal GPU and even without the PCI-E connectors plugged in it will be close to the top of the case. Not to mention length, I think the card is much longer than a regular ACX, could be wrong though.

Even though the A4 supports large GPUs, the card is much, much taller than a normal GPU and even without the PCI-E connectors plugged in it will be close to the top of the case. Not to mention length, I think the card is much longer than a regular ACX, could be wrong though.

No offense intended, but i hope you are wrong...

Max A4 SFX gpu lenght = 295mm (probably 12 inches)

Kingpin 980 ti lenght = 279mm (11 inches)

Lenght is not a problem

Max A4 SFX gpu height = 144mm ( From bottom of the PCIe-Slot to top? )

Kingpin 980 ti height = 144.78mm (according to me...)

= 150.88mm (according to EVGA)

Height will be a problem...

But come on! i made this card fit on a Sugo SG13 with no external modifications, i think this case won't give me more problems than the SG13... 

I just realize that you have a SG13 just like me!

I can show you some pictures of what i'm talking about, i even put a blu ray drive on it :)

No offense intended, but i hope you are wrong...

Max A4 SFX gpu lenght = 295mm (probably 12 inches)

Kingpin 980 ti lenght = 279mm (11 inches)

Lenght is not a problem

Max A4 SFX gpu height = 144mm ( From bottom of the PCIe-Slot to top? )

Kingpin 980 ti height = 144.78mm (according to me...)

= 150.88mm (according to EVGA)

Height will be a problem...

But come on! i made this card fit on a Sugo SG13 with no external modifications, i think this case won't give me more problems than the SG13... 

It's not gonna work in the A4, trust me. The PCI-E connectors on top add to the height.

I was wrong about length though, but again I wasn't sure I was right in the first place.

I just realize that you have a SG13 just like me!

I can show you some pictures of what i'm talking about, i even put a blu ray drive on it :)

I actually used to have a heavily (heavily) modified SG05. It's just been beaten to hell and back, and I've had my eye on the SG13 so I picked that up (it is the successor to the SG05 after all). It's not here yet but if should be here tomorrow.

Glad to know there's another SFF guy on here besides me, people call me crazy for my making my build as small as possible.

It's not gonna work in the A4, trust me. The PCI-E connectors on top add to the height.

I was wrong about length though, but again I wasn't sure I was right in the first place.

I actually used to have a heavily (heavily) modified SG05. It's just been beaten to hell and back, and I've had my eye on the SG13 so I picked that up (it is the successor to the SG05 after all). It's not here yet but if should be here tomorrow.

Glad to know there's another SFF guy on here besides me, people call me crazy for my making my build as small as possible.

Same here, people call me crazy too haha :S

Let me tell you something: i've been thinking about the pci connectors the whole week...

I got the silverstone pp05-e cable kit, and i think that i'm gonna modify the pci-e plugs, in order to make 'em shorter and fit with the case...

post-300618-0-08368200-1452653225.png

Just cut around plastic, without doing any damage to the wires or the connectors holdings or unveiling the metal from the connectors...

Same here, people call me crazy too haha :S

Let me tell you something: i've been thinking about the pci connectors the whole week...

I got the silverstone pp05-e cable kit, and i think that i'm gonna modify the pci-e plugs, in order to make 'em shorter and fit with the case...

attachicon.gifpci-e-power-connector-2.png

Just cut around plastic, without doing any damage to the wires or the connectors holdings or unveiling the metal from the connectors...

The actual pins do have latches in that plastic part you want to cut off, so you can't really get more than a few mm off of the connector. There are right angle PCI-E power connectors but I don't know where you can purchase them.

The actual pins do have latches in that plastic part you want to cut off, so you can't really get more than a few mm off of the connector. There are right angle PCI-E power connectors but I don't know where you can purchase them.

Alright... This will require of my full capabilities of imagination and... microsoft paint :)

Note: this is just my reckless mind trying to believe that it will work

Pic 1: GPU view of the A4 SFX

post-300618-0-98738100-1452660320_thumb.

A = common known object to measure (DVI Port)

A1 = measuring with that object

B = clear space

Pic 2: CPU view of the A4 SFX

post-300618-0-91170300-1452660575.png

A = common known object to measure (DVI Port)

B = clear space

Pic 3: back view of the Kingpin 980 ti

post-300618-0-97980000-1452662096.png

B = pci-e power connector scaled to the picture, comparing it with a dvi port in real life

C = clear space

Line = mathching the edge of the pcb, the connection limit of the pci connector and the measuring object (DVI port) 

Pic 4: side view of the Kingpin 980 ti

post-300618-0-35354600-1452661015.png

B = clear space

I know that this isn't a real proof that it WILL fit, also as you see in pic 3, the wires of the pci power connector are gonna be tight as hell, or just won't fit, but come on... if the wires are my only problem, i can manage to get a lower profile pci power connector like this one:

post-300618-0-89801900-1452661548.png 

Here is a link on ebay of those

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sleeved-PCI-E-8-pin-90-degree-left-power-extender-w-low-profileALL-BLK-USA-MADE-/261626791812?hash=item3cea2c0784:g:np8AAOSwEppUPW~t

And to end this, if the low profile pci connector doesn't work neither, i'm just gonna solder a extension to the kingpin's connectors and that's it.

I will get my kingpin there, no matter how  B)

If you can measure this distance, I can tell if the card will fit.

7-1080.2425444666pnkcu.jpg

I said it before, it's 144.78mm tall, but EVGA sais 150.88mm, probably they included the metal bracket in the measurement...

• 2 months later...

Sorry for my late reply :(

I write on my side the card can have a maximum height of 144m (from the PCI-E bottom to the top of the card). So if we can trust the guy on LTT the Kingpin card is 144,8mm height.

On the first view the card could fit with a bit of wobble and bend, but....

...when I made the measure, I only thought on high cards like the Asus Strix, where the highest point is the heatpipe and not the fan cover. The highest point of the heatpipe is typical between both top clips, so there is no problem. But for the Kingpin card the highest point is the fancover so it will collide with the clips.

If you don't care about the warranty you can grind 2mm of the bottomside of the clips. The the card can fit very very very closely.

Here you can see the measurement on the CAD drawing. As you can see the maximum height of the heatpipes could be higher as 144mm but I made the decision to use more save values on my website.

evga_kingpin5vksa.jpg

• 7 months later...

OK, looking to do a build once dan's case becomes available again. Could use some feed back and help with design or see if there are any issues with capability. I don't mind doing some dremel work to get items to fit. Just need to know if its possible. I know people have been able to get a 1080 to fit but could a 1080 Classified fit?  

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xfqpzM 

EDIT: Forgot to mention I was thinking of trying to find a way to fully liquid cool the PC. Suggestions would be helpful.