ekwb supremacy msi z97 krait. cpu contact issue

Pandora
Go to solution Solved by Pandora,

I don't know about the shim since I never saw anybody using this.

Does the CPU block hit some of the capacitors around the CPU socket or is everything fine there too?

as far as i can tell its not hitting any compactors on its way down. 

so last night in a fit of desperation i removed the top vrm block and what would you know it fit! :D ( was able to put the vrm block on after the water block.)

with my eyes i dont see the top block interfering at all but i guess it does. maybe this mother board is slightly out of spec.

it explains why i was able to mount it when the water block slightly askew.

i still dont think it is seated 100% properly becuase tempatures are little bit high 80 degrees at 1.29v 4.6 ghz under gaming load so i bumped my system to 4.5 at 1.19v and its all good.

you might want to update the compatibility for this cooler and this motherboard or maybe mine is a little out of spec.

so i finaly got my new motherboard in since the last one was doa and the one before that i broke and i finaly fixed my os and such. things are going well for me.

nope! 

i have spent around 10 hours now trying to figure out why my ekwb supremacy evo block wont make proper contact with the cpu. 

i have checked my mounting hundreds of times now and my fingers are red raw from using thumb skrews.

i can tell it is not making proper contact because when i put the thermal paste on the cpu and tighten down the water block it barely spreads it out and when i go into my bios i can see the tempatures slowly rise to the point where it is unsafe. i dont know anymore.

now here is the weird part.

if i put in the top left post and the botom right post only and secure it with those it does make proper contact but when i install either of the others it wont.

i have tried moving all the posts around and such.

if i have all the posts installed i cant use manual pressue to force contact either. but if i have those 2 posts installed i can force contact with manual pressure.

i know this makes no sense and i think im going crazy because this worked on my DOA motherboard that i just returned and my previous msi board that had a similar layout. 

im so confused and i need help.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Perhaps something in your loop is broken?

its not the loop. gpus stay at 50 ish degrees under full load.

its an issue with cpu contact. i can tell because the thermal paste doesnt spread.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Did you take your block off to check if it was the thermal paste?

yes did you read my post? i must have taken the block off 100 times  by now and such. my fingers are red raw from tighting thumb skrews.

yes did you read my post? i must have taken the block off 100 times  by now and such. my fingers are red raw from tighting thumb skrews.

and you're completely sure you're using the right length screws?

ASU

Is it orientated correctly? Is the backplate on properly? is the cpu sitting in flat? is anything bent on the motherboard?

Is it orientated correctly? Is the backplate on properly? is the cpu sitting in flat? is anything bent on the motherboard?

not as far as i can tell. i did some more checking. it seems that the water block will only make contact if the cpu block is slightly askew.

its almost as if the botom left mounting hole on my mother board isnt in the correct place.

it lines up with the backplate fine but not the water block.

not as far as i can tell. i did some more checking. it seems that the water block will only make contact if the cpu block is slightly askew.

its almost as if the botom left mounting hole on my mother board isnt in the correct place.

it lines up with the backplate fine but not the water block.

try putting a rubber washer behind the MB to hold the back plate off a bit so you get a tighter grip on the cpu .

NOT METAL OF ANY TIME even if it is non ferrous only plastic or a rubber one . this will work if you dont have anything on the cpu side stopping it from making correct contact some boards stick part of a heatsink or capacitor that just barely stops the block from making perfect contact  .

if you can take  a picture of with no block the MB  and with it installed the block it will help

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

try putting a rubber washer behind the MB to hold the back plate off a bit so you get a tighter grip on the cpu .

NOT METAL OF ANY TIME even if it is non ferrous only plastic or a rubber one . this will work if you dont have anything on the cpu side stopping it from making correct contact some boards stick part of a heatsink or capacitor that just barely stops the block from making perfect contact  .

if you can take  a picture of with no block the MB  and with it installed the block it will help

tried that. didnt work. 

here is an album of the crap

http://imgur.com/a/ikb0G

sorry for the delay.

if you press the block to the cpu does the paste spread ? if not then check to make sure you are useing the right stand offs and if so try more rubber spacers also a picture of the back side of the MB would be great

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

if you press the block to the cpu does the paste spread ? if not then check to make sure you are useing the right stand offs and if so try more rubber spacers also a picture of the back side of the MB would be great

if i use manual pressure like i said when the four posts are installed it wont touch the cpu. but if only the top left and botom right ones are installed it will make contact.

Are you using the correct mounting hardware for your socket? Looking at the pictures you shared it looks like it isn't the correct mount, you might be using the 1366/2011 socket mount instead of the 115x mount.
It's a long shot but have a look just to be sure, you never know :D

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Are you using the correct mounting hardware for your socket? Looking at the pictures you shared it looks like it isn't the correct mount, you might be using the 1366/2011 socket mount instead of the 115x mount.

It's a long shot but have a look just to be sure, you never know :D

no im using the 115x mounting hard ware. i actuly tried to rig the 2011 hardware to fit but that didnt work. its almost as if something is in the way.

if i use manual pressure like i said when the four posts are installed it wont touch the cpu. but if only the top left and botom right ones are installed it will make contact.if tha

ok take the posts out does it touch now cpu+block if it does then you got a problem with the standoffs . you have to be useing the wrong stand offs that or your board is out of spec 

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

ok take the posts out does it touch now cpu+block if it does then you got a problem with the standoffs . you have to be useing the wrong stand offs that or your board is out of spec 

i have installed this block before fine and yes with the standoffs not installed it touches fine. 

ekwb uses specific threading on their nuts and stands to avoid this issue. i know im using the right hard ware. this isnt the first time i have installed this block.

if no posts are installed it touches. also if only the top left and bottom right are installed it works sits fine also. 

supremicy evo blocks come with 2 sets of stand off, one for 2011 and one for 115x. the 2011 stand offs arent long enough to go through the mobo and into the back plate ( i tried) so i cant be using those. the only other set is the 115x. i have quintuple checked by now to make sure im using the correct stand offs.

skrew it i dont care anymore. im so fed up with this computer. the fact that a space of a hair is keeping me from enjoying games. im just going to buy a copper shim and use that to fill the space.

i have installed this block before fine and yes with the standoffs not installed it touches fine. 

ekwb uses specific threading on their nuts and stands to avoid this issue. i know im using the right hard ware. this isnt the first time i have installed this block.

if no posts are installed it touches. also if only the top left and bottom right are installed it works sits fine also. 

supremicy evo blocks come with 2 sets of stand off, one for 2011 and one for 115x. the 2011 stand offs arent long enough to go through the mobo and into the back plate ( i tried) so i cant be using those. the only other set is the 115x. i have quintuple checked by now to make sure im using the correct stand offs.

i have a few  ekwb blocks gpu and cpu  also .  if 2 standoffs work and 4 dont then something has to be off in the block . unless its not bent or warped then i  go back to the board which  has to have some  some problem it may have bent/ warped either over time or just a defect .

also with adding more copper i would contact the ek rep first or send them a support ticket on their site  since it may reduce your performance/ heat transfer . i wanted to do something similar  to a gpu block and was told do do not since it would have had a large amount of performance removed from the block

was a block made for a v1 card with the manufacturer doing a revision and moving the vrms just a few mm over and making them a bit shorter so the block didn't make contact with thermal pads

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

i have a few  ekwb blocks gpu and cpu  also .  if 2 standoffs work and 4 dont then something has to be off in the block . unless its not bent or warped then i  go back to the board which  has to have some  some problem it may have bent/ warped either over time or just a defect .

also with adding more copper i would contact the ek rep first or send them a support ticket on their site  since it may reduce your performance/ heat transfer . i wanted to do something similar  to a gpu block and was told do do not since it would have had a large amount of performance removed from the block

was a block made for a v1 card with the manufacturer doing a revision and moving the vrms just a few mm over and making them a bit shorter so the block didn't make contact with thermal pads

sent a message to EK_luc already. and i have sent a ticket already into ekwb for help.

i really hope that this board isnt deffective also.

if this board is defective also your all going to get a nice video of me throwing a computer out of my window.

sent a message to EK_luc already. and i have sent a ticket already into ekwb for help.

i really hope that this board isnt deffective also.

if this board is defective also your all going to get a nice video of me throwing a computer out of my window.

im guessing this is a replacement board from a rma ?

if you do i hope it goes viral  :o

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

im guessing this is a replacement board from a rma ?

if you do i hope it goes viral  :o

returned the doa one to amazon and bought the same one. 

i hope it does also. maybe then i could pay for someone less idiotic then me to build me a system.

returned the doa one to amazon and bought the same one. 

i hope it does also. maybe then i could pay for someone less idiotic then me to build me a system.

it might just be the board causing you problems i always go evga or gigabyte for MB since they never fail for custom WC  also there support is wonderful . i had a massive issue with msi MB ant going to get into here turns into a flame war most of them time . there other stuff i like only got there gpu's . building is easy making it all be happy together ant so much drivers hardware OS < win 10 buggy .

you can try and  just return it to amazon again /exchange it for a different brand since you can probably swing it that its a MB problem  the gigabyte gaming 7 is a good one if you end up getting a different board

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

it might just be the board causing you problems i always go evga or gigabyte for MB since they never fail for custom WC  also there support is wonderful . i had a massive issue with msi MB ant going to get into here turns into a flame war most of them time . there other stuff i like only got there gpu's . building is easy making it all be happy together ant so much drivers hardware OS < win 10 buggy .

you can try and  just return it to amazon again /exchange it for a different brand since you can probably swing it that its a MB problem  the gigabyte gaming 7 is a good one if you end up getting a different board

i bought this one because it was white. it works well with my system and my rgb lighting.