Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I have just bought some green switches, will tell you if anything changes with them. Does sound kinda strange. How hard are you hitting them? Have you thought about opening the switch to take a look?

I have also just managed to get a great deal on a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL. In the last week I have gone from one mechanical keyboard to three! This is the one which will go into the Vortex Aluminium case and have the new switches/ keycaps! It will also eventually be given a wooden case.

Not unusually hard :P, it has only happened where i have used

one switch exclusively for something, not on the letters and so

forth. I have considered replacing the spring, but that really

shouldn't have been necessary.

What do you mean by "very sloppy and loose?"

The CTRL key isn't a commonly pressed key.

I have no problem on my MX green keys.  My Q key started off mushy originally and didn't click very well (only clicked If pressed on the very left side), but now feels just like the other keys, and clicks just fine.

I mean what i say, the key is sloppy, loose and horrible to press :P

I played a game for a couple of day consisting of about 60% text

where i basically sit and spam ctrl so skip forward.

And my switch tester only has one green Cherry key to press, so

Yeah. 10 milion clicks my ass, more like 150 clicks before the switch

becomes revolting to press.

Yes, Once you open them up you can swap the springs and stems of the different switch types around.

I've been using a mini screw driver (the one that you use to fix your glasses) to help me open the switch up

It's not hard once you know the trick and I can open a switch up in matter of seconds now

I just wanted to check that I hadn't fallen off the wagon. I am just surprised there isn't more tutorials of it on Youtube...

Got my first mechanical keyboard the k70 RGB

Welcome to the club!

I am hoping to become part of this club soon, since I've picked up a sampler kit recently. So far, I'm LOVING Cherry MX Blues. Not because it's clicky (although I really like the click), but because of the tactile feedback it gives. Shame they aren't available in their RGB variety anymore.

But I am curious about one thing. What is the Razer Blackwidow like to own as a keyboard? What are the switches like? Are they definitely similar to MX Blues (as in tactile response)? It's just when tried them briefly at my local Currys, they felt weird to me. They seemed like a mix of Reds and Blues.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0Ghz | Asus Z97 PRO | Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB (4x 8GB) 1600Mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 with CableMod Custom Sleeved Cables (Black/White) Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB | Western Digital Blue Series 4TB | 3x Noctua NF-F12 PWM + 3x Noctua NF-A14 PWM | 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ACX 2.0 in SLI | Windows 8.1 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Brown Switches | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Glorious PG Gaming Race Extended Mouse Mat | Beresford Caiman MKII DAC + Amptastic Mini-1 Stereo Amplifier + Q Acoustics 2010i | Sennheiser HD 598 | Audio Technica AT2020USB+ | Logitech C920 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

I am hoping to become part of this club soon, since I've picked up a sampler kit recently. So far, I'm LOVING Cherry MX Blues. Not because it's clicky (although I really like the click), but because of the tactile feedback it gives. Shame they aren't available in their RGB variety anymore.

But I am curious about one thing. What is the Razer Blackwidow like to own as a keyboard? What are the switches like? Are they definitely similar to MX Blues (as in tactile response)? It's just when tried them briefly at my local Currys, they felt weird to me. They seemed like a mix of Reds and Blues.

I owned a Razer Blackwidow a little while ago and the build quality against a Ducky, CM quickfire and Filco is quite cheap in comparison, the plastic they use feels thin and the keys dont feel as nice. The Switches I felt were very similar to blues. The overall keyboard looks nice but for £75 I would pay a little more and get a CM Quickfire instead (You may even find it for the same price on an amazon sale). The whole unit of the CM feels better quality.

I owned a Razer Blackwidow a little while ago and the build quality against a Ducky, CM quickfire and Filco is quite cheap in comparison, the plastic they use feels thin and the keys dont feel as nice. The Switches I felt were very similar to blues. The overall keyboard looks nice but for £75 I would pay a little more and get a CM Quickfire instead (You may even find it for the same price on an amazon sale). The whole unit of the CM feels better quality.

So that's Razer out of it then. That's cool. But what about Corsair? I heard their keyboards are widely recommended. BTW, I don't mind the non-RGB variant to have Blue switches.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0Ghz | Asus Z97 PRO | Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB (4x 8GB) 1600Mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 with CableMod Custom Sleeved Cables (Black/White) Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB | Western Digital Blue Series 4TB | 3x Noctua NF-F12 PWM + 3x Noctua NF-A14 PWM | 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ACX 2.0 in SLI | Windows 8.1 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Brown Switches | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Glorious PG Gaming Race Extended Mouse Mat | Beresford Caiman MKII DAC + Amptastic Mini-1 Stereo Amplifier + Q Acoustics 2010i | Sennheiser HD 598 | Audio Technica AT2020USB+ | Logitech C920 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

So that's Razer out of it then. That's cool. But what about Corsair? I heard their keyboards are widely recommended. BTW, I don't mind the non-RGB variant to have Blue switches.

I wouldnt rule them out, but there are some good (Maybe better) alternatives. I haven't had any experience with Corsair stuff but I have heard good reviews. For £75 you can get a Corsair K65 with Red switches. 

Amazon does sell Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK with blue switches for £72.89. It is currently out of stock but it is sold by Amazon... So keep an eye out for that. It is great value.

Really you are talking £75-90 and it is up to you whether the extra is worth that over the Razer. How much is the Razer at your local Currys?

my filco majestouch 2 ninja is in the mail and I cant wait to ditch this razer deathstalker that was overpriced and still sucks

Yes, Once you open them up you can swap the springs and stems of the different switch types around.

My SSK and all the other boards has been sitting in the storage for a while, I like them but... I cant get my hand out of 68g Blues

Maybe I've to force myself to change to other board one day

I've been using a mini screw driver (the one that you use to fix your glasses) to help me open the switch up

It's not hard once you know the trick and I can open a switch up in matter of seconds now

I tried for about an hour today, with multiple different tools but I just couldnt get them to open... I was just bending the plastic that makes up the side of the switch. The little four little latches on the sides were just not moving.

So I gave up and started desoldering them. It will take a lot longer but at least I wont be killing the switches casing in the process. Put two blue switches onto my all brown keyboard so far. Waiting for my order from WASD to turn up...

I tried for about an hour today, with multiple different tools but I just couldnt get them to open... I was just bending the plastic that makes up the side of the switch. The little four little latches on the sides were just not moving.

So I gave up and started desoldering them. It will take a lot longer but at least I wont be killing the switches casing in the process. Put two blue switches onto my all brown keyboard so far. Waiting for my order from WASD to turn up...

Yeah, like I said.  The only way to do switch top removal without de-soldering is if they are already installed in a custom plate with special cutouts that allow it.

Like this:

zzV57Unh.jpg

However, if the switches are PCB mounted you do not have to de-solder for switch top removal.

Yeah, like I said.  The only way to do switch top removal without de-soldering is if they are already installed in a custom plate with special cutouts that allow it.

Like this:

However, if the switches are PCB mounted you do not have to de-solder for switch top removal.

Well they are on a normal Filco Majestouch 2. I tried all the switches I wanted to change and it was the same thing. I was just bending the plastic. However, I have now de soldered most of the switches I want to change anyways. There is only eight keys left to do now...

I think I might of had a bit of a bump on the head at some point last week... Just bought a Phantom PCB and Teensie 2.0 Controller with some green MX switches! Going to get some brown/ blues and clears when they are back in stock!

Also these little guys came through in the post :D ( They are Knockoff K3KC caps)

16646142507_4410a250d4_z.jpg

K3KC Keycaps by Mat Teague, on Flickr 

I think I might of had a bit of a bump on the head at some point last week... Just bought a Phantom PCB and Teensie 2.0 Controller with some green MX switches! Going to get some brown/ blues and clears when they are back in stock!

Also these little guys came through in the post :D ( They are Knockoff K3KC caps)

16646142507_4410a250d4_z.jpg

K3KC Keycaps by Mat Teague, on Flickr 

Good choice on the green switch! I might have change my view on filco

Just received a KUL, will do a review comparing that KUL with filco and leopold

but first impression, KUL looks really good

I got it so it would match my new Keycap set!

Well, I have had a ducky, Filco and a CM Storm and I have to say that the Ducky is the best so far. With the CM storm and filco being almost identical. The only nicer thing the CM storm has over the filco is a detachable cable.

I bought this Phantom PCB but need to buy or get made a custom plate for it. Any idea who thick it needs to be? I have the 2D design from GH but just need to know how thick it needs to be...

Or does anyone know where I might be able to buy a new premade one from?

I was going to get a KUL to try out, but I just don't like the way the sides of their cases look. I still think Filco has the best looking stock case available.

Do you have any of the ping, or squeaky stabs that other people have mentioned having with their KUL?

Well, I have had a ducky, Filco and a CM Storm and I have to say that the Ducky is the best so far. With the CM storm and filco being almost identical. The only nicer thing the CM storm has over the filco is a detachable cable.

I bought this Phantom PCB but need to buy or get made a custom plate for it. Any idea who thick it needs to be? I have the 2D design from GH but just need to know how thick it needs to be...

You might wanna throw that question over GH

but pretty sure you can use the thickness of your filco plates since the phantom is compatible in filco case :)

I was going to get a KUL to try out, but I just don't like the way the sides of their cases look. I still think Filco has the best looking stock case available.

Do you have any of the ping, or squeaky stabs that other people have mentioned having with their KUL?

I might give it a closer look once I got home

Only had 3 minutes of look when I unbox it than I've to fly away :(

I also get the replacement case, and I see quite a bit of flex in it

Anyone have any recommendations for keycaps? I'm new to the mechanical keyboard scene but I'm very much enjoying my new keyboard. I don't necessarily need new keycaps but I might be interested in the future. I have the corsair K95 RGB with browns and it's beautiful <3.

off the top of my head I want to say 1.6mm but it maybe 1.5mm so dont take my word for it

You might wanna throw that question over GH

but pretty sure you can use the thickness of your filco plates since the phantom is compatible in filco case :)

I have just jumped on there. I am also watching the bay for any dead Filco or CM storm TKL keyboards now. I can always get the plate as a part.

off the top of my head I www ant to say 1.6mm but it maybe 1.5mm so dont take my word for it

After a little research, it is 1.5mm thick.

However, if anyone is interested. Here is a link to a group buy which might happen in the near future...

http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/phantom-compatible-plates-t10074.html

Hello guys,I want to buy K70,so before buying I played a little on my friend's k70 mx red switch keyboard and I found out that the spacebar had something like loose and loud sound which kinda wasn't nice for ear's ))) Do you guys experience the same with your keyboards or it's just my friend's keyboard's spacebar is faulty ? Maybe o-rings will change something or not ?

GPU - R9 390 Nitro   ///   CPU - Intel 3570K   ///   RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)   ///   HDD - 3TB + 1TB / SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB 
PSU - EVGA 750 G2   ///   Case - be quiet! - Silent Base 800   ///   Corsair A70 Cooler

Hello guys,I want to buy K70,so before buying I played a little on my friend's k70 mx red switch keyboard and I found out that the spacebar had something like loose and loud sound which kinda wasn't nice for ear's ))) Do you guys experience the same with your keyboards or it's just my friend's keyboard's spacebar is faulty ? Maybe o-rings will change something or not ?

I also didn't like the sound and feel of my K70's spacebar with mx browns. The o-rings improved it A LOT, feels and sounds more stable. Didn't like the o-rings on all my keys, but the spacebar and backspace surely benefit from them.

Hope this helps.