PS4 In drawer?

AllHokage

So I got my PS4 currently setup on my PC workstation desk and It just ruins the whole setup (clean look), So I was thinking about putting it in the drawer.

I got the Ikea Alex Drawers and was thinking about putting some vents at the back of the drawers and putting 4 tabs on the PS4 to keep it off the ground to stop it from overheating and allow reasonable airflow.

So do you think this would work? As I really need to hide away this PS4 Somewhere! And If I can do this,  I would do the same for my PS3.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/80192825/

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/S09047258/

Might add this later...

what??

do you mean a drawer?

a draw is like a lottery...where you have a chance to win or not

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

he means drawer

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

what??

do you mean a drawer?

a draw is like a lottery...where you have a chance to win or not

I mean drawer.

Might add this later...

You might need to drill holes in the back of the drawer unit, if what you're saying is you put your ps4 in one of the drawers you would probably need to drill some holes in the back of it for the cables

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Oh, people who make more work for themselves and risk damage to consoles for a boring "clean" look.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

I will say my PS4 controller has trouble staying in sync with much in front of it, even from 2 feet away.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Yes, with adequate ventilation you will be fine. it may get a tad hotter by being enclosed tho. 

If it was me, i would make a couple holes in the rear (because your going to need to route cables anyway) and use a little usb fan that can help expell hot air. The fan can be plugged into the ps4 or ps3 themselves to supply power

You might need to drill holes in the back of the drawer unit, if what you're saying is you put your ps4 in one of the drawers you would probably need to drill some holes in the back of it for the cables

I'm going to go to the effort to put in a vent, but not put any holes for the cords....?

Might add this later...

Yes, with adequate ventilation you will be fine. it may get a tad hotter by being enclosed tho. 

If it was me, i would make a couple holes in the rear (because your going to need to route cables anyway) and use a little usb fan that can help expell hot air. The fan can be plugged into the ps4 or ps3 themselves to supply power

Was thinking of that, are those PS4 fan coolers good? You know the ones you clip onto the back? 

Guess it would help boost the air through the vents...?

Might add this later...

I will say my PS4 controller has trouble staying in sync with much in front of it, even from 2 feet away.

Well you must have a faulty controller, as I can use my controller from different rooms (solid brick).

Might add this later...

If you don't block the airflow.

Got my Desk against the wall, about a gap the size of a PC mouse (shhs quick reference). Is that enough?

Might add this later...

The PS4 has vents on the back, the front, and along the sides.  You could possibly shorten the life if you block those.  I'd just cut holes in whatever you're putting it in to make sure those don't get blocked/push the air back into the console.

Putting it in the Alex Draws (http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/80192825/)

And going to cut the back and place a vent in it as said above. And also put 4 raisers to allow it to not sit on the round.

Might add this later...

It should work as long as the air gets out, mainly the back I think.  The bigger vent part is in the back, so I'm gunna assume that is where the fan breathes out the most.  The rest of the venting aka the front and both sides is just there to let any excess air out I think.  So, I'd measure the back vent then make sure that you make a hole big enough for it to escape.  The front air probably will just go out where you put your hand to pull the drawer out.

Awesome so it's kinda made for it  :D

Do you know anything what could assist with airflow, USB fans ect, PS4 Fans? What can stick onto inside of drawer or even on the ps4.

Might add this later...

Lol seriously?none of the options will work well in your favor, your ps4 will be on death row

Putting it in the Alex Draws (http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/80192825/)

And going to cut the back and place a vent in it as said above. And also put 4 raisers to allow it to not sit on the round.

It wouldn't be a bad idea if you were to mount the ps4 against the drawer unit with the rubber feet on the back of the drawer unit then you wont block any vents and then you can push it pretty close to the wall and still be able to put discs and things in it without having to open a drawer

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't do it... Even with vents on the drawer I would worry about overheating.

And damn that is an expensive drawer

2 hours ago, WindWaker98 said:

I wouldn't do it... Even with vents on the drawer I would worry about overheating.

And damn that is an expensive drawer

Yer didn't do it... I wouldn't even consider it as expensive, if anything cheap...

Might add this later...

On 18/12/2015 at 8:18 PM, Joshndroid said:

This.  By putting it in a drawer, you've basically created a situation where, to draw an analog to PCs, the ps4 is the GPU and the drawer is the case.  All the same rules now apply - that is, it will work fine, but you absolutely must ensure adequate airflow.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.