i want to install linux and ubuntu on my chromebook but..

im not very tech savvy, can someone explain to me what ubuntu does? i understand i need both of these to install things onto a chromebook but im not sure how they work. i know linux is an operating system.. is downloading these two on a chromebook hard? ive heard i need a flash card for something like backing up things saved onto my chromebook but i dont really care for the media saved onto this.. do i need a flashcard to re install chrome onto the chromebook or will i not even need to if i get linux?

*PRO TIP* neon lights do in fact make your rig faster!

im not very tech savvy, can someone explain to me what ubuntu does? i understand i need both of these to install things onto a chromebook but im not sure how they work. i know linux is an operating system.. is downloading these two on a chromebook hard? ive heard i need a flash card for something like backing up things saved onto my chromebook but i dont really care for the media saved onto this.. do i need a flashcard to re install chrome onto the chromebook or will i not even need to if i get linux?

also, if someone could post a link they recommend on how to do it would be very appreciated

Linux is an open source OS, and the versions that people have released are called "distros" (short for distributions). Ubuntu is simply a Linux distro

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Linux is the OS kernel. It's the core that the operating system is built around. Ubuntu is an operating system built onto that core. The current version is 15.10, and uses Linux 4.2. 

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Ubuntu is a distribution of linux, you don't need two separate things. Think of it this way, You can't just buy "ford car". you have to buy a specific model, like a ford focus, or a ford mustang. you can't just get linux, you need to get a specific distro, like ubuntu or fedora.

Ubuntu is a distribution of linux, you don't need two separate things. Think of it this way, You can't just buy "ford car". you have to buy a specific model, like a ford focus, or a ford mustang. you can't just get linux, you need to get a specific distro, like ubuntu or fedora.

so, just download ubuntu and i can start downloading things like emulators and devpro?

so, just download ubuntu and i can start downloading things like emulators and devpro?

or rather, ubuntu is a version of linux right? so if some thing has a download for linux.. and i have ubuntu, does that mean i can use that download link for linux?

or rather, ubuntu is a version of linux right? so if some thing has a download for linux.. and i have ubuntu, does that mean i can use that download link for linux?

What specific programs are you wanting to run on your linux machine?

What specific programs are you wanting to run on your linux machine?

just some games.. like a ds emulator.. idt a chromebook can handle a gamecube emulator but that if i could.. devpro, which is a yugioh simulator. i doubt it could run league but that if it can as well

just some games.. like a ds emulator.. idt a chromebook can handle a gamecube emulator but that if i could.. devpro, which is a yugioh simulator. i doubt it could run league but that if it can as well

You have to check with the programs individually. Some programs run off of debian (a distro) based distros, and some programs run on ubuntu based distros. Most programs will run on Ubuntu, but if you didn't want ubuntu (like, for example Elementary OS) you should check what the distro is based off of (in this case, elementary is based off of Ubuntu so Ubuntu programs will run on it). Given you're interested in Ubuntu, I wouldn't worry too much about compatibility.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

You have to check with the programs individually. Some programs run off of debian (a distro) based distros, and some programs run on ubuntu based distros. Most programs will run on Ubuntu, but if you didn't want ubuntu (like, for example Elementary OS) you should check what the distro is based off of (in this case, elementary is based off of Ubuntu so Ubuntu programs will run on it). Given you're interested in Ubuntu, I wouldn't worry too much about compatibility.

ubuntu was built on debian.  

Think of the Kernel as the core, it is what is needed to provide a functioning Operating System.  Then theres the shell, this allows the user to interact with the operating system and send commands for the OS to be executed (an interpreter).  Then there are the applications, such as gnome (the desktop environment that makes it all pretty). 

Like all the others have said ubuntu is just 1 of thousands of distros that are released.  It doesn't require much to run linux and it is very powerful.  Its true power lies in the shell so when you get it installed get comfortable with command line!

What defines the distro is the architecture and the development community that surrounds it.  For instance Red Hat is primarily an enterprise server OS, its unsupported version is CentOS and it is upstreamed from Fedora (a bleeding edge OS). 

Since GNU/Linux is completley open source you can make literally any change you want to it! (if you know how), which is really cool.  It also is extremely stable which is why you would find many Webservers and critical infrastrucutre running on Linux.

ubuntu was built on debian.  

Think of the Kernel as the core, it is what is needed to provide a functioning Operating System.  Then theres the shell, this allows the user to interact with the operating system and send commands for the OS to be executed (an interpreter).  Then there are the applications, such as gnome (the desktop environment that makes it all pretty). 

Like all the others have said ubuntu is just 1 of thousands of distros that are released.  It doesn't require much to run linux and it is very powerful.  Its true power lies in the shell so when you get it installed get comfortable with command line!

What defines the distro is the architecture and the development community that surrounds it.  For instance Red Hat is primarily an enterprise server OS, its unsupported version is CentOS and it is upstreamed from Fedora (a bleeding edge OS). 

Since GNU/Linux is completley open source you can make literally any change you want to it! (if you know how), which is really cool.  It also is extremely stable which is why you would find many Webservers and critical infrastrucutre running on Linux.

Lol I don't really follow Linux crap so thanks for the education ;)

im not sure what most of that means but ok thanks