Computer not starting / restarting

ionbasa

Ok, well I am in the middle of building my friends new computer.

It's using the Evga 750G PSU, with a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, with a AMD 8350, and a Saphire 7950.

Once it was all built the computer wouldn't turn on. I ended up taking the mobo out of the case and testing it on it's box to check that the mobo wasn't shorting anywhere.

If I flick the on off switch on the PSU the fans spin for 1 second, the leds turn off and then nothing, repeating this 2 or 3 times eventually causes it to boot properly.

So do you guys think its a dead PSU or motherboard?

I managed to install windows, and if I try to shutdown, it does the same thing where it won't power up unless I flick the switch on the psu a few times.

Thoughts?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Might be the PSU. Try clearing the CMOS.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Might be the PSU. Try clearing the CMOS.

Cmos has been cleared a few times already. Even ended up updating the bios and still the same thing.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

If you can check other PSU if same thing happens. I would say RAM, but since it started like you said then it shouldnt be.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

If you can check other PSU if same thing happens. I would say RAM, but since it started like you said then it shouldnt be.

It's not the RAM, I was able to get Memtest86+ running last night after playing with the psu switch.

I have filed an RMA just today for the PSU. I'm just hoping that its not the motherboard.

You dont have PSU laying around to be sure? Youll RMA the psu and find out that its the mobo. Hell, take mobo with with CPU, one stick of RAM and GPU to your place and power it up if it isnt the problem. If it runs normal -> PSU if not -> mobo. If it may be the mobo check the 8350 too if the pins are not bent.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Good point. I built it at my buddy's house, so ill just take the PSU from my build over to his house to double check.