G502 loose scroll wheel, can it be fixed?

Hunched
Go to solution Solved by Hunched,

Oh ok I get it, so it just flops around and impacts the plastic making noise when you move it fast. That's a bit harder to say what can be done, only thing I can really think of is adding a thin strip of foam on both ends of the clear tilt mechanism/cradle to take out some of the slop of the tilting scroll has so it still functions but doesn't wiggle around as easily.

http://cdn.overclock.net/9/93/930a865a_DSC00169.jpeg

That's definitely a better solution than mine, but requires opening it up and things I don't have instant access to. 

Mine seems to be holding up, only downsides are I can't left and right click with the mouse wheel, but I can't remember if I've ever used that for anything.

So besides it looking a bit stupid, it's a pretty functional solution.

It wasn't staying put very well when I made this topic, and would pop out or nearly get sucked into the mouse while attempting scrolling. Doesn't move at all after some adjustment.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm tired of the sound and feeling of the mouse wheel shaking side to side whenever I move it quickly, is there anyway to open and tighten it?

I've resorted to folding a piece of tape and sticking it in the space so it cannot shake when playing FPS games, but this makes it so I can't use the scroll wheel, I can still use it as a button though.

I'm pretty sick of everything I own slowly driving me insane by having something wrong with it that I can't fix... case, monitor, GPU, mouse, chair... other than that everything's pretty alright.

Isn't it supposed to be like that? The free scroll thing?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'm tired of the sound and feeling of the mouse wheel shaking side to side whenever I move it quickly, is there anyway to open and tighten it?

I've resorted to folding a piece of tape and sticking it in the space so it cannot shake when playing FPS games, but this makes it so I can't use the scroll wheel, I can still use it as a button though.

I'm pretty sick of everything I own slowly driving me insane by having something wrong with it that I can't fix... case, monitor, GPU, mouse, chair... other than that everything's pretty alright.

Most mouses that have side to side scrolling do that unless you want to disable that function by say shimming something:

@1:20

the nearest button to the scroll wheel. try clocking it down. that one  should loosen the wheel and tighten it also for the free scroll and normal scrolling. 

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Isn't it supposed to be like that? The free scroll thing?

No, not the toggle-able free scroll and "notched" scroll thing.

You know how the mouse wheel can be pushed left and right for clicks? That's the issue, it's too loose moving left and right.

So whenever I make a fast movement with my mouse, the wheel smacks either left or right which is audible. Even if I raise my headset volume it's annoying because I can feel it happening.

I think I may be able to scroll with a piece of tape stuck in beside the scroll wheel, my fear is it being sucked into the mouse and stuck if I scroll, but it might not happen.

This has been an issue since the second it was unboxed, it doesn't seem to be present on every G502 but it is on a lot, or was at some point, you can find lots of complaints.

I just couldn't find any solutions.

I assume if most G502's don't have this problem, I should be able to adjust mine somehow to not as well, if something just needs tightening? 

No, not the toggle-able free scroll and "notched" scroll thing.

You know how the mouse wheel can be pushed left and right for clicks? That's the issue, it's too loose moving left and right.

So whenever I make a fast movement with my mouse, the wheel smacks either left or right which is audible. Even if I raise my headset volume it's annoying because I can feel it happening.

I think I may be able to scroll with a piece of tape stuck in beside the scroll wheel, my fear is it being sucked into the mouse and stuck if I scroll, but it might not happen.

This has been an issue since the second it was unboxed, it doesn't seem to be present on every G502 but it is on a lot, or was at some point, you can find lots of complaints.

I just couldn't find any solutions.

I assume if most G502's don't have this problem, I should be able to adjust mine somehow to not as well, if something just needs tightening?

RMA Logitech has excellent service from what I hear

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Most mouses that have side to side scrolling do that unless you want to disable that function by say shimming something:

@1:20

Yea, but I don't think it's supposed to move on most G502's if you need to make a snap shot for example.

It doesn't move enough to register a click when I do so, but enough to make sound and be felt, which is obnoxious.

Yea, but I don't think it's supposed to move on most G502's if you need to make a snap shot for example.

It doesn't move enough to register a click when I do so, but enough to make sound and be felt, which is obnoxious.

What do you mean by snap shot, if the switch clicks but not register every-time then it can be a sign that the switch itself is starting to fail.

I don't think it is. Doesn't move on mine at all.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

What do you mean by snap shot, if the switch clicks but not register every-time then it can be a sign that the switch itself is starting to fail.

I don't know the terminology sorry :lol: 

Like a jerk reaction shot in an FPS, suddenly moving the mouse in a direction very quickly. The wheel isn't secured enough so it bangs around a bit when fast movements are made.

It's not actually making a click and not registering, there isn't enough force.

I could pick my mouse up and shake it and the sound would be made, sorry if I'm explaining this poorly.

I don't think it is. Doesn't move on mine at all.

Yea, I don't know if they just had a bad batch at a point or something, some say they've got replacements with the same issue.

I've found tons of others with the same complaint.

I think this is my solution, the tape doesn't seem to move even when scrolling. I just can't left or right click with the scroll wheel, which I never do anyway. I could try to reduce the amount of tape, fine tune it so I can still left-right wheel click without the rattle during movement.

ow02TVM.jpg

As to the guy who mentioned warranty, that shit takes weeks in Canada, and who knows how much the shipping would cost, probably easier to just buy another as sad as that is.

I don't know the terminology sorry :lol:

Like a jerk reaction shot in an FPS, suddenly moving the mouse in a direction very quickly. The wheel isn't secured enough so it bangs around a bit when fast movements are made.

It's not actually making a click and not registering, there isn't enough force.

I could pick my mouse up and shake it and the sound would be made, sorry if I'm explaining this poorly.

Oh ok I get it, so it just flops around and impacts the plastic making noise when you move it fast. That's a bit harder to say what can be done, only thing I can really think of is adding a thin strip of foam on both ends of the clear tilt mechanism/cradle to take out some of the slop of the tilting scroll has so it still functions but doesn't wiggle around as easily.

That's definitely a better solution than mine, but requires opening it up and things I don't have instant access to. 

Mine seems to be holding up, only downsides are I can't left and right click with the mouse wheel, but I can't remember if I've ever used that for anything.

So besides it looking a bit stupid, it's a pretty functional solution.

It wasn't staying put very well when I made this topic, and would pop out or nearly get sucked into the mouse while attempting scrolling. Doesn't move at all after some adjustment.

Thanks for the help everyone!

• 2 years later...

Well if the problem is the side-scroll buttom, you can disable that buttom. If for some reason Logitech Gamming Software don't allow you to do this I been playing arround with Logitech G HUB and can do same macros and all on the G502, including remaping the side-scroll to anything you like, the program is ligther and definitly solve some of my issues, but I'm still trying to find a way to reverse the internal memory back to factory default (memory wipe). If the problem is the infinite wheel spin, then all you have to do is lock it down with that toggle/mecanical swich on the middle of the mouse, if this doesn't work then you might as well have a broke mecanism and should be send to warrantys. If you have problem with the tracker all you need to do is update the firmware (very common problem from the old days), there an autoupdate option for this but you can also search for the program inside here if you allready have installed the logitech gamming thing: C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\FWUpdate.