Win10 shutdown - screen goes blank, fans/mobo keep running

peterpepo

Helo guys,
I have recently moved from w8.1x64 to win10. Although I upgraded first, but afterwards, i installed it clean.
I am experiencing some problems however, which I am hoping, you could help me to solve.

Problem is, that sometimes i cannot shutdown or reboot my computer. I normally hit start -> shut down / restart.
Restarting message is shown up for a couple of seconds, then the screen goes blank, however fans, mobo, cpu continue to run - I can still read the cpu temperature from motherboards lcd.
This indicates to me, that system is actually not shut down.
This occurs only sometimes unfortunatelly, thus i am not able to track down the reason causing it.

Do you have any ideas, what to check / how to monitor (maybe check) some windows logs to track this down ?

Some background, desription of my system:
MSI Z97-G7 Mobo, i7 4790K, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x8GB 2133mhz memory(running on xmp), Samsung 240pro 256GB, Asus PCE-ac68 wifi card
From software, i am using:
Windows 10x64, Office 2013, Symantec Cloud anti-virus, Firefox, GTA V

Nothing else is currently running on my pc.

Thanks for help & tips in advance.

I have also faced a similar issue twice after upgrading to windows 10. But in addition to that, I have frequent no posts, where I turn on my pc, and everything is on(fans, keyboard, mouse, etc.) except the display which reads, DVI not found... and then goes blank. Hope someone can help with the former issue.

reset the cmos

Favourite Game: 
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion -[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion]
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks and the Take-Two Interactive subsidiary, 2K Games. It is the fourth installment in The Elder Scrolls action fantasy video game series, following The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and preceding The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Oblivion was first released in March 2006. 

Favourite Music: 
Look at my Mixcloud [https://www.mixcloud.com/Gabelele/]  If you want  

PC specs: 

-Pentium G3258 
-GTX 750ti 
-8gb no name RAM 
-MSI h81m-e34 
-240gb Kingston SSD now SSD 
-1tb Seagate baracuda HDD 
-500watt Aero cool 'X-strike' PSU 
-Bitfenix Neos (Blue Y Black) 

- Modded Microsoft -Intelli mouse [linustechtips.com] (thanks to TheRandomness X/) 
-Logitech K120 keyboard 
-ASUS 21.5" 1080p monitor 

No mates facts: 

Favorite tank: Sturmgeschütz III (I understand the Sturmgeschütz series are not technically tanks but infact SPGs, 'got me') 
Favorite Aircraft: Henschel Hs 129

Roles or characters in games: 
WarThunder = Tank destroyer and sometimes my KV-1B if im bored 
CSGO = Sniper, I seem to be able to AWP 'well' apperently 
RPGs in general = Mage or Tank w/ resoration

Favourite Game: 
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion -[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion]
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks and the Take-Two Interactive subsidiary, 2K Games. It is the fourth installment in The Elder Scrolls action fantasy video game series, following The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and preceding The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Oblivion was first released in March 2006. 

Favourite Music: 

PC specs: 

-Pentium G3258 
-GTX 750ti 
-8gb no name RAM 
-MSI h81m-e34 

- Modded Microsoft -Intelli mouse [linustechtips.com] (thanks to TheRandomness X/) 
-Logitech K120 keyboard 

No mates facts: 

Favorite tank: Sturmgeschütz III (I understand the Sturmgeschütz series are not technically tanks but infact SPGs, 'got me') 

Same here, but I thought that was normal. It when I hit shut down the shut down animation passes and screen goes black, a few seconds later it completely shuts down. Isn't that normal?

Same here, but I thought that was normal. It when I hit shut down the shut down animation passes and screen goes black, a few seconds later it completely shuts down. Isn't that normal?

But it doesn't completely shut down even after a few seconds, heck I waited 5 minutes and everything was still running after the screen went blank.

Sumitmak, this is the exact problem, I have.

Now I double check after "turning off" my pc. But once, I turned off pc, left for a weekend trip, and when I got back, it was still running in this weird state :/

Aren't you using Norton antivirus as well ? I have feeling, that these problems escalated since I installed norton. 3 days after clean install, no problems. Norton installed, freezing. Unfortunatelly, I cannot find anything helpful on the internet.

reset the cmos

Exactly, what I did.
Prior to clean installation, which I did last Sunday, I flashed latest bios, cleared cmos via clear button on my mobo and set up everything from scratch.

I'm starting to think about going back to windows8.1. Unfortunatelly, 30 days already passed. Is it possible ?

Sumitmak, this is the exact problem, I have.

Now I double check after "turning off" my pc. But once, I turned off pc, left for a weekend trip, and when I got back, it was still running in this weird state :/

Aren't you using Norton antivirus as well ? I have feeling, that these problems escalated since I installed norton. 3 days after clean install, no problems. Norton installed, freezing. Unfortunatelly, I cannot find anything helpful on the internet.

Exactly, what I did.

Prior to clean installation, which I did last Sunday, I flashed latest bios, cleared cmos via clear button on my mobo and set up everything from scratch.

I'm starting to think about going back to windows8.1. Unfortunatelly, 30 days already passed. Is it possible ?

Not without a reinstall

Favourite Game: 

Favourite Music: 

PC specs: 

-Pentium G3258 
-GTX 750ti 
-8gb no name RAM 
-MSI h81m-e34 

-Logitech K120 keyboard 

No mates facts: 

Not without a reinstall

I have no problem reinstalling from scratch. Actually, I always do clean install, I don't trust upgrade / downgrade process.

Question is, whether my w81 key will still work.

I have no problem reinstalling from scratch. Actually, I always do clean install, I don't trust upgrade / downgrade process.

Question is, whether my w81 key will still work.

W81 key? what the windows key on your keyboard? 

Favourite Game: 

Favourite Music: 

PC specs: 

-Pentium G3258 
-GTX 750ti 
-8gb no name RAM 
-MSI h81m-e34 

-Logitech K120 keyboard 

No mates facts: 

W81 key? what the windows key on your keyboard? 

Windows 8.1 serial key :)

I have feeling, that after win10 upgrade, your original key gets invalidated. But I hope, I'm wrong.

No, I just have windows defender on at the moment. But as I said, it has only happened twice or maybe thrice in the last month.