Dell XPS 13 (2015) 9343 Microphone Issues

Hi!  I have a Dell XPS 13 2015 edition with the infinity display and the i7 processor.  I am fairly sure that there is a microphone build in to the laptop, but neither the microphone setup in windows or any other apps can access it.  It is kind of annoying because it makes it so I can't utilize Cortana or make any video chats without my headphones plugged in.  Can anybody help?  Thanks!

-Pkron17

CPU: i7 5820k      GPU: MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4g      MOBO: Asus X99-Deluxe      RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2400      CPU Cooler: Corsiar H100i      PSU: Corsair HX850      Storage: 1 TB WD Blue & 512 GB Crucial MX100      

did you uninstall any of the dell software that came preloaded on the xps

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I uninstalled ​nearly all of it.  I still use the dell command power manager though.

-Pkron17

CPU: i7 5820k      GPU: MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4g      MOBO: Asus X99-Deluxe      RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2400      CPU Cooler: Corsiar H100i      PSU: Corsair HX850      Storage: 1 TB WD Blue & 512 GB Crucial MX100      

Dose the web cam work? I have mine turned off in the BIOS. If the webcam doesn't work the mic wont either.

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

​The webcam works fine.  It's just the microphone.

-Pkron17

​The webcam works fine.  It's just the microphone.

go to the sound settings in windows and go to the recording tab.  verify that the webcam mic is selected as the default communication device.

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

​The default comm device is Intel Smart Sound Technology.

-Pkron17

you have to reinstall the dell supportassist application which you can get on dell's website, it controls some audio stuff I think