980 Ti vs Fury X

sms1202

Since DX12 showing AMD benefiting a lot from DX12 and in some cases the 390X beats the 980 ti in terms of performance. In other cases due to lack of asynchronous compute I hear the 980 Ti  is actually performing worse.

Is the 980 ti worth it anymore ? Not as of today, but as more games with DX12 release.

I am planning to game on my 1080p TV @60HZ, But will upgrade to an ROG Swift or any good 1440p 144hz G-sync or Free-sync compatible monitor depending on the GPU (More reasons to consider Free-sync as I hear Nvidia will support it in the future)

Your thoughts ?

P.S This topic is 980 ti vs Fury X, even though I mentioned 390X beating 980 Ti

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

If you are going to be getting a second card in the future then go for the Fury X if not then go 980ti.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Since DX12 showing AMD benefiting a lot from DX12 and in some cases the 390X beats the 980 ti in terms of performance. In other cases due to lack of asynchronous compute I hear the 980 Ti  is actually performing worse.

Is the 980 ti worth it anymore ? Not as of today, but as more games with DX12 release.

I am planning to game on my 1080p TV @60HZ, But will upgrade to an ROG Swift or any good 1440p 144hz G-sync or Free-sync compatible monitor depending on the GPU (More reasons to consider Free-sync as I hear Nvidia will support it in the future)

Your thoughts ?

P.S This topic is 980 ti vs Fury X, even though I mentioned 390X beating 980 Ti

Everyone is free to make the choice that they want. No one can tell you which card will be best in the future as there is no way to accurately tell.

Having said that, I am Team Red so yes the 980ti is complete pants and you shouldn't even utter it's numbers. Get a Fury X :)

NO

ONE

KNOWS

PREFORMANCE

FOR

DX12

YET

HOREY SHIET

^It's ONE BENCHMARK so until we know, the 980Ti still remains the better card

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

NO

ONE

KNOWS

PREFORMANCE

FOR

DX12

YET

HOREY SHIET

Ashes of singularity benchmarks released

I know it is a beta in case you wanted to mention that

Ashes of singularity benchmarks released

I know it is a beta in case you wanted to mention that

this is like accusming pascal will be 10x faster which isn't as consumers we don't know the official nor the future of "future proof graphic cards" its impossible to tell. Just go with what your heart tells you.

If you are going to be getting a second card in the future then go for the Fury X if not then go 980ti.

Why ?

Because Intercard connection is done via PCIe bus and doesn't have CF bridges so performance is better?

This is performance in one game we're talking about. Unless you're really, really into RTS games or MMOs and both of them make tremendous comebacks, the gains won't be as much on all other DX12 games they just won't have enough happening to require it.

So you probably won't be seeing a fury x vastly outpace a 980ti. It might happen to match it or just about go past it on some titles and again, in that one strategy game Ashes easily surpass it, but it won't turn things on it's head. 

If you want a card that's water cooled by default then sure, the 980ti hybrid is probably more money and putting a water block a lot more money. But otherwise the 980ti it's still a good choice, perhaps even better since you can play games with it better right now vs waiting for the next year or 2 for a lot of DX12 games to hit the streets.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Everyone is free to make the choice that they want. No one can tell you which card will be best in the future as there is no way to accurately tell.

Having said that, I am Team Red so yes the 980ti is complete pants and you shouldn't even utter it's numbers. Get a Fury X :)

I was Team Red though I don't own any components from them or Team Green.

Gotta say tho my old system from 2005 was rocking an ATI Radeon Card(Don't remember the model as I was 5 back then)

It was an R5 series equivalent compared to that time's standard

Yes, and no. AMD already have a ton of low level API optimizations due to mantle, and Nvidia have been caught out on the lack of Async compute. There's a few factors you have to look at:

1.What games will you be playing? If it's triple A titles, they will likely all move over to DX12 pretty quickly, however many indie titles will say behind on DX11, just lick back when DX11 was brand new, and games were still coming out for DX10.

2. Can you mount a rad? If so, the Fury is a way better option because it exhausts heat out of the case instead of into it. Alos 65C under a stress test and 55C at load in a game makes my bell go Ding-a-ling.

3. 4Gb of ram is not an issue. I gotta say, and this is coming from Nvidia's mouths (In response to the 970 scandal) "Games simply do not need more than 4GB of ram". And it's true. While they will USE more than 4GB, the performance benefits of 4 vs 8 are negligible, unless you're doing some serious multi monitor gaming. 

4. AMD should pull out ahead due to the fact that their hardware simply is beefier. You look at the FuryX, 4096SPU's at 1050Mhz. the 980ti is 2816 at 1075Mhz. Nvidia have optimized really well for DX11, but not 12. If you look at raw performance, the 980 gets raped by the Fury X (the 980ti's 5.7 is dwarfed by the Fury's 8.6Tflops).

There's a few more but IMO those are the main ones. Hopefully Greenland will fix some of the issues with the Fury, like Overclocking, then AMD should be able to win back some market share and become more competitive again.

My GPU History: GTS 250, 7790, 7850, GTX 660ti, 7870XT, 7970, 280X, 280X Crossfire, 290, 290X, Fury X, 390 Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, 1070, 1080, 1080ti.

My CPU History: Pentium 4, Pentium E5300, Core 2 Quad QX 9650, Intel Xeon 1230 v3, 4790K, 3930K, 5820K, 1700, 3700X.

This is performance in one game we're talking about. Unless you're really, really into RTS games or MMOs and both of them make tremendous comebacks, the gains won't be as much on all other DX12 games they just won't have enough happening to require it.

So you probably won't be seeing a fury x vastly outpace a 980ti. It might happen to match it or just about go past it on some titles and again, in that one strategy game Ashes easily surpass it, but it won't turn things on it's head. 

If you want a car that's water cooled by default then sure, the 980ti hybrid is probably more money and putting a water block a lot more money. But otherwise the 980ti it's still a good choice, perhaps even better since you can play games with it better right now vs waiting for the next year or 2 for a lot of DX12 games to hit the streets.

I didn't know cars came liquid cooled and can perform the function of a GPU

On Topic: I want this GPU I buy to last me till 2018 or 2019

Why ?

Because Intercard connection is done via PCIe bus and doesn't have CF bridges so performance is better?

Amd's crossfire scaling is better than Nividia SLI scaling.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why can't you people use your brains ffs

Yes, and no. AMD already have a ton of low level API optimizations due to mantle, and Nvidia have been caught out on the lack of Async compute. There's a few factors you have to look at:

1.What games will you be playing? If it's triple A titles, they will likely all move over to DX12 pretty quickly, however many indie titles will say behind on DX11, just lick back when DX11 was brand new, and games were still coming out for DX10.

2. Can you mount a rad? If so, the Fury is a way better option because it exhausts heat out of the case instead of into it. Alos 65C under a stress test and 55C at load in a game makes my bell go Ding-a-ling.

3. 4Gb of ram is not an issue. I gotta say, and this is coming from Nvidia's mouths (In response to the 970 scandal) "Games simply do not need more than 4GB of ram". And it's true. While they will USE more than 4GB, the performance benefits of 4 vs 8 are negligible, unless you're doing some serious multi monitor gaming. 

4. AMD should pull out ahead due to the fact that their hardware simply is beefier. You look at the FuryX, 4096SPU's at 1050Mhz. the 980ti is 2816 at 1075Mhz. Nvidia have optimized really well for DX11, but not 12. If you look at raw performance, the 980 gets raped by the Fury X (the 980ti's 5.7 is dwarfed by the Fury's 8.6Tflops).

There's a few more but IMO those are the main ones. Hopefully Greenland will fix some of the issues with the Fury, like Overclocking, then AMD should be able to win back some market share and become more competitive again.

I agree with you here

^DMI FTW!!!!!!!

Also it's because AMD actually use a hardware controller on the cards, nvidia just use the GPU to manage their SLI. 

My GPU History: GTS 250, 7790, 7850, GTX 660ti, 7870XT, 7970, 280X, 280X Crossfire, 290, 290X, Fury X, 390 Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, 1070, 1080, 1080ti.

My CPU History: Pentium 4, Pentium E5300, Core 2 Quad QX 9650, Intel Xeon 1230 v3, 4790K, 3930K, 5820K, 1700, 3700X.

Really ?

I thought everyone was like SLI is the superior solution

Really ?

it was, but then with DMI AMD basically circumvented the bandwidth issue that was causing them so much grief and microstuttering. Now CFX is actually smoother than SLI, Especually with 3 or 4 cards.

I didn't know cars came liquid cooled and can perform the function of a GPU

On Topic: I want this GPU I buy to last me till 2018 or 2019

Well all of them but some old vg beetles are actually water cooled :)

And both cards will perform ok up until then.

-------

Current Rig

-------

fanboyisim

I am personally a fan of AMD. But the 980 Ti just blew me away.

If Fury X single card performance was better I would prefer it over the 980 ti

Really ?

BF4_01.pngThief_01.pngTWA_01.pngWitcher_01.pngBare in mind Witcher 3 had Hairworks on. source