Play Battlefield 2 online, with all expansion packs, free

If you're a Battlefield 2 fan, you probably are aware that Gamespy, the service which hosted Battlefield 2's multiplayer servers, shut down last year, and EA didn't make a new home for Battlefield 2's servers, instead retiring the game's online playability. This also marked the end of Battlefield 2's availability for sale from sources like Steam, and Origin.

However, I've read reports that some people contacting Origin support and asking for a copy of Battlefield 2 have been given free Origin keys for the game, probably EA offloading its remaining stock.

Yet Battlefield 2 lives on, including its online multiplayability, at this site: http://www.battlelog.co/

A team of fans have set up a nexus for Battlefield 2 servers, made possible by the server files for Battlefield 2 having been leaked long ago.

And more than just provide places to play Battlefield 2 online, they've also created a custom installer of Battlefield 2 that includes everything needed to play the game, which can be downloaded from the website freely. I guess the principle of abandonware applies to the game now, since it is no longer being published, isn't for sale, and as EA have been giving away remaining keys through Origin.

As can be seen, there is a limited number of servers, either ranked or unranked, that are populated, but hopefully awareness and the free game download will lead to a player-base that grows beyond what it is right now.

In my opinion, it is still the best Battlefield made to-date, and one of the best FPS games ever made, and a unique gaming experience.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Hang on while I install it from disc :P
c63c79b602.jpg

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

In my opinion, it is still the best Battlefield made to-date, and one of the best FPS games ever made, and a unique gaming experience.

lol.. nub. cod 4 life. l2p

Yup, you're right. Battlefield 2 is still one of the best FPS I've ever played and it is amazing that there are still people that play it.

I think I have to play a few rounds there :P

Hang on while I install it from disc :P

Sweet. You'll still have to download the launcher from the website to play on their servers. Just a 3.1 mb download:  http://www.battlelog.co/downloads.php

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

So what you're telling me, is I can get a game for free from EA?

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

Sweet. You'll still have to download the launcher from the website to play on their servers. Just a 3.1 mb download:  http://www.battlelog.co/downloads.php

so i can just download the full bf2 game off that site?

Got them on disks somewhere in the basment, might install it again soon.

Ask their support. Others have claimed to. I haven't tried it myself because I already own it on Steam and Origin.

But you'd still need to use the launcher or installer from the http://www.battlelog.co/downloads.php website to play the game online through their server collection. Might as well just install directly from them, I think.

But if you want the game on Origin, hit them up, see what they say.

so i can just download the full bf2 game off that site?

That's right. The full game, with all expansion packs installed.

That's right. The full game, with all expansion packs installed.

Legal?

Legal?

The game is no longer published, and it's not for sale anymore. Additionally, EA have reportedly been giving people who asked about it free keys for the game through Origin - I'm guessing liquidating their remaining stock. And the battlelog.co website has been running for a while without objection from EA.

So it seems like the game is abandonware, or at least that the community's effort to keep playing it is acceptable to EA.

Ask their support. Others have claimed to. I haven't tried it myself because I already own it on Steam and Origin.

But you'd still need to use the launcher or installer from the http://www.battlelog.co/downloads.php website to play the game online through their server collection. Might as well just install directly from them, I think.

But if you want the game on Origin, hit them up, see what they say.

The game is no longer published, and it's not for sale anymore. Additionally, EA have reportedly been giving people who asked about it free keys for the game through Origin - I'm guessing liquidating their remaining stock. So the game seems like it's abandonware.

DRM free games are always good.

Might just get it from the site.

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

Right on. I remember playing the game when there was only a few 64 player servers still getting full only certain times of the week. Throwing C4 and bunny hopping felt oh soo good. And there was alway this one guy who i swear had a hack for the jets. End up getting 150+ kill to 1 death. Will check it out.

i3-4170, H81 board, 8GB DDR3, Crucial M4, GTX 770, Xigmatek Vangaurd Case, Creative Titanium X-fi, Razer Carcharias, 500w PSU, 24" VA panel and a 42" IPS. Thinking about getting a plant.

i use BF2 HUB,

their launcher makes some wierd black spots appearing on all maps

i mostly just play FH2

and i posted Bf 2 battelog on this forum a year ago lol ,noone seems to care about old games

before gamespy shut down i remember about atleast 7 full servers being full all the time

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try asking Origin about a game key? I'm interested in knowing if they're actually, or are still handing them out.