...Oops?

KaminKevCrew

So... I was just having some fun with some bass boosted music from youtube on my old ass Boston Acoustics HD8s, and... well, I think I turned it up too loud. 

It started to smell like electricity/burnt rubber/burnt plastic/burnt, well, stuff. 

So yeah... Now that I've turned them down, they still sound fine, so I don't think I did any permanent damage, but I'm a bit worried. There is a speaker shop near me that also does repairs (and very high quality ones at that). Should I take them in, or are they probably okay to keep using?

BTW, inhaling potentially toxic fumes is not recommended...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Find out what actually burned first, it might be a wire or something.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Find out what actually burned first, it might be a wire or something.

But... I don't want to open them up :P 

Upon closer inspection, it actually looks like it may have been the core of the wire at the actual connectors into the speakers (They're pinch type connections, so there is very little surface area contacting the transition from wire into speaker.)

Also, I think it may have just been that because the wire has a certain black mark right where they would be pinched... (and the actual core is blackened at that point....) Maybe I'll go out tomorrow and get some speaker wire/banana plugs, and then just use my speakers that can use banana plugs...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)