My Friend Is Upgrading His GFX Card

Cheekycal

My Friend is upgrading his GFX card and hes bought a Sapphire R9 290 Tri X and he has a 650W PSU and he put the card in his pc and hes plugged it into his monitor and nothing was detected the recommended PSU is 750W Do you think it doesnt work because of the insufficient power or is it something else as he put his old GFX card in and his computer worked fine

Are the video card's fans spinning (is the card showing any indication of running) ?

I guess it is all wired up ok? I wouldn't think it is the PSU as the 750w is recommended. It wouldn't pull max wattage until the whole PC is stressed, aka a game, so it should still be detected on boot up.

Make sure the PCIE connectors are plugged into the card.

Is there any beeps on boot?

Try resetting CMOS if all the above are ok

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Are the video card's fans spinning (is the card showing any indication of running) ?

The Fans Spin Fine but nothing come on the monitor

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

My Friend is upgrading his GFX card and hes bought a Sapphire R9 290 Tri X and he has a 650W PSU and he put the card in his pc and hes plugged it into his monitor and nothing was detected the recommended PSU is 750W Do you think it doesnt work because of the insufficient power or is it something else as he put his old GFX card in and his computer worked fine

Are all cables inserted into the GPU? The 6 and 8 pin connector or whichever is used?

Even a 650W PSU should work, if it's from a quality brand and 80+ Bronze or better. Do you have any clue what PSU it is?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

it might be a DOA card, same thing happend to me with a 390 and i fixed it by downloading latest drivers to a usb stick then downloading them to the pc. (used the iGPU while doing all that then when i plugged the 390 it worked)

Are all cables inserted into the GPU? The 6 and 8 pin connector or whichever is used?

Even a 650W PSU should work, if it's from a quality brand and 80+ Bronze or better. Do you have any clue what PSU it is?

Both of the cables where in and the fans where spinning im checking the PSU now

I guess it is all wired up ok? I wouldn't think it is the PSU as the 750w is recommended. It wouldn't pull max wattage until the whole PC is stressed.

650W should still be sufficient for this card as I know someone who is running two 290s in Crossfire with a 750W unit.(although it used to be an 850W unit)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Considering that there are no professional reviews of that unit, I can't really give a proper critique of it. Given that, I am skeptical of it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

650W should still be sufficient for this card as I know someone who is running two 290s in Crossfire with a 750W unit.(although it used to be an 850W unit)

That's what I meant, it's only the recommended and an obvious over estimation at that

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

either not wired correctly or dead card possible incompatibility between the motherboard and GPU (test in another PC) but this is rare these days

Can you test the card in your pc?

Ryzen Ram Guide

Im gonnah have a look at it later today do you think it could be drivers?

Well if it doesnt detect during bios it wont be drivers. Can you even get into the bios with GPU attached ?

Ryzen Ram Guide

Try it in the other slot and triple check the PCIE connectors. But sounds like a DOA, RMA it if doesnt work in the other slot and the cables are ok

Ryzen Ram Guide

try a change of outputs, once in a while I have to start a gpu on hdmi and after that it's all good.

can't say why.

not a driver at this point, drivers are off till in the os.