Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro

Nice review :)

I use a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, it is great!

I have it for more than 10 years and still works perfect, build like a tank, studio-grade.

Can highly recommend beyerdynamic, you cant go wrong with there headphones. ;)  :)

Same with my 770 pro's. Also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 419's for listening out and about or in bed.

For work and good quality relaxing ::::: Beyer's

For mucking around ::::: Sennheiser's

I am buying this headphones soon, been reading and watching heaps of reviews about it! For the cable which one would you recommend?

Man, I wish I could buy a pair of these.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I am buying this headphones soon, been reading and watching heaps of reviews about it! For the cable which one would you recommend?

I would recommend the V-MODA m80 (45degree) cable

The link to it is here: http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

Only the purple and black version are currently in stock.

The cable I am using now is a terribly-too-short cable. It's called a gecko flat soundwire.

But if you don't want to get the V-MODA cable, then just make sure the 3.5mm housing is rather thin

Example: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Black-3-5mm-Aux-Cable-Cord-Apple-iPhone-3GS-4S-iPod-Touch-Car-Audio-P2D-/251084302183

Man, I wish I could buy a pair of these.

You can get them on special for $150 on amazon.

Just save up those pennies!  :)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

The cable I am using now is a terribly-too-short cable. It's called a gecko flat soundwire.

But if you don't want to get the V-MODA cable, then just make sure the 3.5mm housing is rather thin

Example: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Black-3-5mm-Aux-Cable-Cord-Apple-iPhone-3GS-4S-iPod-Touch-Car-Audio-P2D-/251084302183

B-bb-but there are no pennies in Canada anymore :(

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

B-bb-but there are no pennies in Canada anymore :(

SAVE THEMMMM!!!!  ^_^

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

These look pretty nice to be honest. I may get some in the future but at the moment I am happy with my Razer Electra. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Thanks for the link.

Just ordered  Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro through Amazon, Now I the waiting games begins!

Thanks for the link.

Just ordered  Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro through Amazon, Now I the waiting games begins!

Good to know man! Hope you enjoy them  :)

How is the sound stage? Do you have them plugged into a DAC or into an internet sound card?

These look really good. I have m100's from vmoda, expensive but ballin' out of this world.

Corsair 350D - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Intel 3770K @ 4.6Ghz - Corsair H100i - G-skill Trident X 2666Mhz 4x4Gb - 2 x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4Gb @ 1250Mhz - Corsair 860i - 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 240GB (Raid 0)

Tried it after one of my friend bought it, people who love excessive bass would really like it.

When the bass port is open it over powers every aspect of the music and when the bass port is closed sound stage is narrow and the highs aren't that bright.

Can is a bit heavy for me, Specially after couple of hours it takes it's toll and wasn't that comfortable either.

That been said, it's a good choice for bass lovers. You seem to be very happy with it and at the end of the day it's all that matters !

Great review! 5 Stars and your pictures are fine :)

Tried it after one of my friend bought it, people who love excessive bass would really like it.

When the bass port is open it over powers every aspect of the music and when the bass port is closed sound stage is narrow and the highs aren't that bright.

Can is a bit heavy for me, Specially after couple of hours it takes it's toll and wasn't that comfortable either.

That been said, it's a good choice for bass lovers. You seem to be very happy with it and at the end of the day it's all that matters !

Great review! 5 Stars and your pictures are fine :)

Thank you for the compliment! 

• 2 months later...

Are they good for gaming? i game a lot. especially fps like bf4

Great review! It looks even better with the white paddings. The Custom One Pro was one of those headphones I considered when I got my ATH-AD700X recently.

It's a great pity Amazon does not ship to my location for most products.

in the end what made you decide to go with the ath-ad700x?

Are they good for gaming? i game a lot. especially fps like bf4

For a stereo headset I found it rather good (in BF3) the gunshots and explosions were loud and crisp.

My comparison over a surround sound headset (Cm Storm Sirus 5.1):

Surround sound headphones give off a different type of sound (more of a 3d ish effect) - They tend to really emphasize the bass and the highs (good for gaming but bad for music)

Highs would contain footsteps, bullets wizzing pass, some gunshots etc.

Bass would contain the explosions etc

The Custom One Pros I found had clearer and cleaner sound effects. There was less of an emphasis on the highs, but being a music designed headphone the highs and mids are slightly more neutral. Although it had massive amounts of bass (which is adjustable to your liking).

Using the bass ports you can reduce the amount of bass, and in turn it will turn up the clarity of the mids and highs.

So overall I think they give off a better 'quality' sound than the gaming headsets.

So the answer to your question is yes, I believe they are good for gaming.

Yeah, that's the risk you have to deal with when buying tech overseas.

To be honest I think if customs were to hold it up when it got to my country, I'd probably have to pay a fee ($200 ish) for buying tech stuff without our local tax additions.

So far I have been lucky :)

I take it your also Aussie?

Did you pick these up at jb ?

I've been on the lookout for some nice head phones.

I take it your also Aussie?

Did you pick these up at jb ?

I've been on the lookout for some nice head phones.

Yes I'm Aussie  :D

But I got them from amazon when they were at $150

From what I've seen JB only sells Sol Republic, Beats, a couple of other fashion brands and Sennheiser (although I think JB are getting rid of Sennheiser)

Popular headphones that have a good sound for the price are:

Audio-Technica ATH-m50 -$100

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro -$150

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro -$180

Sennheiser HD 598 -$190

Personally I think your best option is to get headphones from amazon.

The shipping for my COPs was only $11.

And they are $300 if I were to purchase them in Australia as to $150 on amazon.

Yes I'm Aussie :D

From what I've seen JB only sells Sol Republic, Beats, a couple of other fashion brands and Sennheiser (although I think JB are getting rid of Sennheiser)

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro -$180

Sennheiser HD 598 -$190

Interesting, how much did you pay in shipping?

@Hoppa

How portable are they? Considering them for on the go as my 250O 880s are not that awesome on the phone ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Yes I'm Aussie  :D

From what I've seen JB only sells Sol Republic, Beats, a couple of other fashion brands and Sennheiser (although I think JB are getting rid of Sennheiser)

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro -$180

Sennheiser HD 598 -$190

COP's are £30 more expensive than the DT 770's here in the UK, at StudioSpares, Dolphin and Amazon.

@Hoppa

How portable are they? Considering them for on the go as my 250O 880s are not that awesome on the phone ^^

They're not as portable as the ath-m50's because they don't fold up. And because of the clamping pressure you can't really walk around with them around your neck.

But since they clamp together it makes it easier to fit in a bag then some headphones such as sennheisers

Interesting, how much did you pay in shipping?

I paid $11 at the time (it's a fairly light package)

COP's are £30 more expensive than the DT 770's here in the UK, at StudioSpares, Dolphin and Amazon.

They would be really good to get if you can drive a 250ohm headphone.

in the end what made you decide to go with the ath-ad700x?

Apologies for the late reply.

The price factor, definitely.

Here is a graph detailing the frequency response of the COPs compared to over headphones around that price range. I was really suprised when I saw how drastic the soundstage dropped off when it hit the highs. This might not be a problem for people who prefer extrememly bass heavy music, but you would definitley lose clarity and punch from string instruments (anything over 10,000Hz). COPs are definitley good, but for their price I feel like they lack just that the soundstage lacks just a little.

Make your own graph!

All Prices Taken From Amazon.co.uk

COPs - £139.99

DT770 - £129.99

ATH-M50 (Coiled Cable) - 120.11

Senn 598 - £149.90

I don't have any personal experience with the COPs, so I my word isn't final - However, do your research before splashing out an a pair of entry-grade headphones. One thing I will say is that if you are going to do so, you may want to look into an external DAC/AMP instead of running off of the onboard audio.

I can't have an gif as my signature, so you can have this image.gif

• 4 months later...

An awesome review of the COP. I own the DT990 Pro 250Ohm and the DT990 Premium 600Ohm and they are both super awesome durable headphones. The Germans really do know their stuff.

I got hooked to Beyerdynamic after using my DT990 Premium 32Ohm till it retired (Accidentally broke).

I like the sound of the DT990 series.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5