GTX 970 electrical buzzing noise - caused by power supply?

Gdog96

Hi all, 

I recently purchased a KFA2 GTX 970 second hand for a great price, upgrading from a GTX 660.

However, whenever the card is under load, there is a fairly loud electrical buzzing noise coming from the centre of the PCB - I can hear it across the room and its annoying as the rest of my system is near silent. I know it is not the fans because I have stopped the fans by hand briefly to test them and the buzzing continues. Further, if I alt tab out of a game the buzzing noise instantly stops before the fans have slowed down. 

The noise isn't your standard high pitch coil whine noise, it sounds more like a cable tie caught in a fan (which it obviously isnt). However it does seem to change pitch ever so slightly when looking around in games, but I might be imagining things. 

The person I bought it from claims he has never heard any noises like that before. The card works fine otherwise with a load temp of ~70 degrees. 

Now, I was wondering if it could be my power supply causing the problem? The card is hooked up to a Silverstone SFX 450 watt PSU. 450 watt is the minimum wattage for this card, but maybe I'm cutting it too fine? I don't have another power supply to test it with. 

The rest of the system is as follows:

i5 3570k - no OC

8gb Ram 

OCZ agility 3 120gb SSD

WD Green 2TB

2 fans in the system total including CPU fan

Any ideas what this could be and if there is even a way around it?

Thanks very much 

That's probably why it was sold second hand.

Try to your money back (:

If he still insists the card was fine with him, then ask him to demonstrate it in his PC and still ask for your money back and tell that you just can't live with it

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

its coil whine

you can try different PSUs, sometimes that fixes the problem

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi all, 

I recently purchased a KFA2 GTX 970 second hand for a great price, upgrading from a GTX 660.

However, whenever the card is under load, there is a fairly loud electrical buzzing noise coming from the centre of the PCB - I can hear it across the room and its annoying as the rest of my system is near silent. I know it is not the fans because I have stopped the fans by hand briefly to test them and the buzzing continues. Further, if I alt tab out of a game the buzzing noise instantly stops before the fans have slowed down. 

The noise isn't your standard high pitch coil whine noise, it sounds more like a cable tie caught in a fan (which it obviously isnt). However it does seem to change pitch ever so slightly when looking around in games, but I might be imagining things. 

The person I bought it from claims he has never heard any noises like that before. The card works fine otherwise with a load temp of ~70 degrees. 

Now, I was wondering if it could be my power supply causing the problem? The card is hooked up to a Silverstone SFX 450 watt PSU. 450 watt is the minimum wattage for this card, but maybe I'm cutting it too fine? I don't have another power supply to test it with. 

The rest of the system is as follows:

i5 3570k - no OC

8gb Ram 

OCZ agility 3 120gb SSD

WD Green 2TB

2 fans in the system total including CPU fan

Any ideas what this could be and if there is even a way around it?

Thanks very much 

By the way you say it changes pitch when you turn, that's just some good old coil whine my brotha.

AMD A10 7700k APU @ 3.8 GHz  /  Dem Integrated R7 graphics  / 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 MHz RAM  /  1 TB WD Black HDD  /  ARC Midi R2 Case  /  ASRock FM2A88M Pro 3+ 

Logitech MX Performance / Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

Ah. Coil whine. Something 970s are somewhat notorious for.

You could possibly try to overclock it or overvolt it, maybe? To change how it draws power from the PSU.

Either that, or try to make do with headphones or something.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Okay, thanks everyone. I was unaware that coil whine came forms that weren't just that high pitch whine. 

Cheers