Worth upgrading speakers?

Tacitus

Not to sound rude, but I'm not sure the OP would actually know what to listen for upon receiving the speakers. I think this is sound advice for the future, but I wouldn't get caught up with equalizers from day one.

No offense taken. I just wanted to put that information up front as he might get disappointed upon initial hookup.

You should get a HDMI receiver and 2 good floor speakers, maybe a powered subwoofer too. 

You should get a HDMI receiver and 2 good floor speakers, maybe a powered subwoofer too. 

That's like $2,000 USD without breaking a sweat.

For home use with a computer, near-field listening will be more affordable and sound better for the money.

That's like $2,000 USD without breaking a sweat.

Receiver is only 180 USD on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V377-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B00HZE2WW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434869816&sr=8-1&keywords=receiver

I picked up speakers for 40 bucks on craigslist. They looked like this:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r22/GK_Brandenburg/MY%20PC/IMG_2023.jpg

I'm sure he can find something online. Also with such large woofers you don't really need a subwoofer but it's a nice addition. 

Receiver is only 180 USD on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V377-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B00HZE2WW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434869816&sr=8-1&keywords=receiver

I picked up speakers for 40 bucks on craigslist. They looked like this:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r22/GK_Brandenburg/MY%20PC/IMG_2023.jpg

I'm sure he can find something online. Also with such large woofers you don't really need a subwoofer but it's a nice addition. 

You bought $40 speakers from someone who didn't know what they were selling  ;) congratulations

You bought $40 speakers from someone who didn't know what they were selling  ;) congratulations

they're 90s pioneer speakers and that's the market value.

my point is not all floor speakers are super expensive 500+ audiophile gear. 

Not to sound rude, but I'm not sure the OP would actually know what to listen for upon receiving the speakers. I think this is sound advice for the future, but I wouldn't get caught up with equalizers from day one.

No offense taken. I just wanted to put that information up front as he might get disappointed upon initial hookup.

Thanks, you're right, I'd not really know what to listen out for, but obviously I know if I'll be disappointed or not when I hook it up. I'll buy from somewhere with a good returns policy to make sure I can get it changed/refunded without hassle if it's not what I am expecting.

For £210 the JBL speakers are really appealing to me, and having looked around online, I think they should do a pretty stellar job.

JBL seems like a good deal. After all at that price point you cant find any relevant data.

When the going gets weirdthe weird turn pro.

Yup JBL makes some good speakers. They are a great choice. You won't get the rumble of a subwoofer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Subwoofers are a fun box anyway. Add it one day when you want to have a little more fun  :)

I just want to also let you know that most speakers are going to need a break in period. I've heard anywhere between 10 to 40 hours. I remember my speakers all sounded pretty rigid when I received them and hooked them up. The highs were ridiculously painful or not high enough. The lows were nowhere to be found. Now I have about well over 500 hours on these puppies and they sound amazing. My subwoofer was even worse. I think that took about 100 hours.

Basically, try not to judge the speakers until after the first 40 to 50 hours. Play music all the time for the first week or two or something like that. Fluctuate the volume also, don't just let it play at one setting all day long. And of course, vary the content if you can.

Yup JBL makes some good speakers. They are a great choice. You won't get the rumble of a subwoofer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Subwoofers are a fun box anyway. Add it one day when you want to have a little more fun  :)

I just want to also let you know that most speakers are going to need a break in period. I've heard anywhere between 10 to 40 hours. I remember my speakers all sounded pretty rigid when I received them and hooked them up. The highs were ridiculously painful or not high enough. The lows were nowhere to be found. Now I have about well over 500 hours on these puppies and they sound amazing. My subwoofer was even worse. I think that took about 100 hours.

Basically, try not to judge the speakers until after the first 40 to 50 hours. Play music all the time for the first week or two or something like that. Fluctuate the volume also, don't just let it play at one setting all day long. And of course, vary the content if you can.

Yep, seen this, I'll make sure I give them a good running through before I decide to keep/return.

But first I need to shift my GPU :P

More likely your ears adjusted.

More likely your ears adjusted.

Youre both right, but youre more right.

When the going gets weirdthe weird turn pro.