Worth upgrading speakers?

Tacitus

The A2+ just comes in under budget, the A5+ is too pricey (at nearly £300).

Not sure how important the low rumble might be - I mostly listen to dance/electro music.

I'd be able to get them with Amazon's 30 day return policy, and if cheaper elsewhere they'd come with a 14 day return policy. I could always get the ProMedia speakers to try out and return if not satisfactory.

The problem with the A2+ is that without a subwoofer, they are pretty lacking in bass as they only have 3-inch woofers.  AE is pretty adamant in their policy to not use software tricks to enhance the sound of their speakers, so the A2+ definitely suffers (also what were they thinking with the volume knob at the back).  The great thing about the A5+ is that it can get house-party loud, and it offers a great deal of punch for most modern genres of music, great for EDM and such.  If you do get the A2+ you might want to get a sub, which will set you back $100 at minimum, but the A5+ is absolutely fine without a sub.

As a proud owner of the A5+ I suggest you give them a try.  They have a very generous return policy.  It is going to be a bit weird, having all the bass from movies and music come from the same source as the mids and highs, but give it some time to get used to them.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

The A2+ just comes in under budget, the A5+ is too pricey (at nearly £300).

Not sure how important the low rumble might be - I mostly listen to dance/electro music.

I'd be able to get them with Amazon's 30 day return policy, and if cheaper elsewhere they'd come with a 14 day return policy. I could always get the ProMedia speakers to try out and return if not satisfactory.

I'd look at something like the JBL LSR305 over the A5+, it's a better value. Definitey better than the A2+ regardless of price.

The problem with the A2+ is that without a subwoofer, they are pretty lacking in bass as they only have 3-inch woofers.  AE is pretty adamant in their policy to not use software tricks to enhance the sound of their speakers, so the A2+ definitely suffers (also what were they thinking with the volume knob at the back).  The great thing about the A5+ is that it can get house-party loud, and it offers a great deal of punch for most modern genres of music, great for EDM and such.  If you do get the A2+ you might want to get a sub, which will set you back $100 at minimum, but the A5+ is absolutely fine without a sub.

As a proud owner of the A5+ I suggest you give them a try.  They have a very generous return policy.  It is going to be a bit weird, having all the bass from movies and music come from the same source as the mids and highs, but give it some time to get used to them.

Looked into the A2+ and have pretty much crossed that one out. Part of me really wants to save up for the A5+ as I suspect they would be a pair of speakers that could easily last me a pretty long while without me feeling like they lack in quality or without the cables breaking. One thing I've found in the past is hardwired speakers are a nightmare since when the cable goes the entire speaker system goes.

I like EDM, have house parties and the like. 

-snip-

I should never look into this stuff - now I want D:

I'd look at something like the JBL LSR305 over the A5+, it's a better value. Definitey better than the A2+ regardless of price.

I'll take a look into that as well, thanks for the suggestion :)

I'll take a look into that as well, thanks for the suggestion :)

I hope so. Audioengine is kind of overpriced, and some of their older products are downright bad, in terms of the sound engineering.

I like EDM, have house parties and the like. 

I suggest looking at more powerful options if that is the case. 

Something like this for less than 300 quid:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/onkyo/a9030/onky-a9030-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/mission/m33i/miss-m33i-blk

With that pair, you may not need a subwoofer to get sufficient low frequency output. I am pretty sure that this would be a big jump over your existing speakers.

Here's another compelling set for your budget:

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/hi-fi-system-deals/pah012542

I suggest looking at more powerful options if that is the case. 

Something like this for less than 300 quid:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/onkyo/a9030/onky-a9030-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/mission/m33i/miss-m33i-blk

With that pair, you may not need a subwoofer to get sufficient low frequency output. I am pretty sure that this would be a big jump over your existing speakers.

Here's another compelling set for your budget:

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/hi-fi-system-deals/pah012542

Thanks, but sadly not really an option - my desk is a corner unit running along one wall and a large bookshelf along the adjacent wall. I'd have nowhere to place the right side speaker.

But as much as I like my EDM, my flatmates also like peace and quiet from time to time, and I'm very seldom having significant parties, once per year, perhaps.

I hope so. Audioengine is kind of overpriced, and some of their older products are downright bad, in terms of the sound engineering.

Just to clarify, the JBL speakers you suggested,  are they just standalone units which I need to pair with an amp etc myself? 

If so could someone recommend me an amp which would be suitable for driving them and is preferably as inexpensive as possible? :P

@Tacitus

Here is another one that I just remembered that is very close to the ProMedia, but it has a very certain appeal. It's a complete package with subwoofer and all. I used to own an older model like 15 years ago. They are pretty amazing. Very detailed and loud.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Soundsticks-III-Multimedia/dp/B0042F3K9W

post-192300-0-65169000-1434813822.jpg

Thanks, but sadly not really an option - my desk is a corner unit running along one wall and a large bookshelf along the adjacent wall. I'd have nowhere to place the right side speaker.

But as much as I like my EDM, my flatmates also like peace and quiet from time to time, and I'm very seldom having significant parties, once per year, perhaps.

I see. If your current speakers are doing the job, then you can probably stick with them. 

The Jamo P102 sometimes goes below 300 quid, so that may be worth a look too. This is a lifestyle system, so don't expect a lot from it (it does have crisp highs, which can help with your EDM stuff). 

As mentioned before, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 is probably a very good option for you.

I completely agree with this. Except I think you are sort of under utilizing them by not bi-amp  ;)

100 pound speakers? I dont really see any benefits.

When the going gets weirdthe weird turn pro.

I see. If your current speakers are doing the job, then you can probably stick with them. 

The Jamo P102 sometimes goes below 300 quid, so that may be worth a look too. This is a lifestyle system, so don't expect a lot from it (it does have crisp highs, which can help with your EDM stuff). 

As mentioned before, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 is probably a very good option for you.

Thanks, I suspect my speakers are on their way out, one is now slightly louder than the other and they periodically crackle, so I really will need to replace them soon.

Struggling to decide if something like the Klipsch's are what would suit me - they're certainly cheaper than a lot of what has been suggested and straightforward, but again, being hardwired and relatively compact I might get better use and longer life out of something like the A5+ or JBLs mentioned above.

Thats due to the potentiometer. Add WD40 or comparable and give it few twists. Should work fine 'till you change them.

Thats due to the potentiometer. Add WD40 or comparable and give it few twists. Should work fine 'till you change them.

Was that a response to what I said?

I think it's cheap cabling to be honest, I replaced the line that goes from the subwoofer to the PC (because that's detachable) and most of the issues went away, but it's my second set of Logitech speakers and it's happened before.

At any rate, I'd be better off getting rid of them for something a bit meatier, I like them for what they cost, but distortions are obvious at loud volume and I'm only using two out of five of the speakers, the other three sit in the box.

Is there a set of speakers you'd suggest from that German site you linked me to? Remember I ideally don't want to break the bank, but do want something quality that will last a long time. I'd also appreciate if you could tell me if what you suggest needs an amp/dac/other cables, and suggest some inexpensive options in that sense.

Its easy to check but i havent seen cables that affect volume for a really simple reason: Ohms law. But checking is easy. Just ruffle both a bit.

For the speakers I dont really have advice, but these are Genelec knock-offs.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/behringer_b2030a_truth_aktivmonitor.htm

Just to clarify, the JBL speakers you suggested,  are they just standalone units which I need to pair with an amp etc myself?

No.

No.

So if I bought them, what else would I need to get with them in order to use them with my PC?

So if I bought them, what else would I need to get with them in order to use them with my PC?

You sould need a 1xstereo 1/8" TRS to 2xmono 1/4" TS cable.

You sould need a 1xstereo 1/8" TRS to 2xmono 1/4" TS cable.

No amp?

Sorry, I'm a complete noob at this stuff.

No amp?

Sorry, I'm a complete noob at this stuff.

The speakers are powerd. Built-in amp.

The speakers are powerd. Built-in amp.

Ahh awesome, I'd be able to get a pair of those for around £210 then, vs the A5+ being £295. They seem like a nice middle-ground (in pricing terms) between the Klipsch ProMedia and the A5+

Any chance you could link me to one of those cables you mentioned, preferably from a UK retailer? :P

I copy/pasted what you said and the only thing that came up with was a £57 cable, which surely isn't right?

Ahh awesome, I'd be able to get a pair of those for around £210 then, vs the A5+ being £295. They seem like a nice middle-ground (in pricing terms) between the Klipsch ProMedia and the A5+

Any chance you could link me to one of those cables you mentioned, preferably from a UK retailer? :P

I copy/pasted what you said and the only thing that came up with was a £57 cable, which surely isn't right?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=1%2F8+TRS+to+1%2F4+TS

Something like the second result.

You've been a massive help!

One final question:

I know you said the AudioEngine stuff can be a bit overrated, how do you think the JBLs will compare? I stand to save about £80 getting those over the A5+, I'd ideally like them to last. Would they be suitable for the types of music I'm into (EDM, mainly) as well as a range of other things like games and films, or would the bass be lacking?

Thanks a lot!

You've been a massive help!

One final question:

I know you said the AudioEngine stuff can be a bit overrated, how do you think the JBLs will compare? I stand to save about £80 getting those over the A5+, I'd ideally like them to last. Would they be suitable for the types of music I'm into (EDM, mainly) as well as a range of other things like games and films, or would the bass be lacking?

Thanks a lot!

JBL is reputable and this particular model seems reliable. Sound quality should be comparable and they have tone controls if you want slightly more bass. If you need more extension then you'll just have to get a sub, no way around the physics.

You've b Would they be suitable for the types of music I'm into (EDM, mainly) as well as a range of other things like games and films, or would the bass be lacking?

Unlike home bookshelf speakers that normally have a low frequency bump to compensate for the lack of extension, professional monitors typically have a flatter response. This may need to be compensated for by either a tone control or an equalizer to be enjoyable with EDM (unless you're getting large monitors). Having a subwoofer would be better, if you can fit that in.

Unlike home bookshelf speakers that normally have a low frequency bump to compensate for the lack of extension, professional monitors typically have a flatter response. This may need to be compensated for by either a tone control or an equalizer to be enjoyable with EDM (unless you're getting large monitors). Having a subwoofer would be better, if you can fit that in.

Not to sound rude, but I'm not sure the OP would actually know what to listen for upon receiving the speakers. I think this is sound advice for the future, but I wouldn't get caught up with equalizers from day one.