Dvi vs vga

aba

I've got an HP 2009m monitor that has a max resolution of 1600x900.

I use a vga cable to connect, and someone told me that using a DVI cable will help with quality.

Is this true? Will I see any noticeable difference?

You might want to watch this: 

Linus explains that vga can support your signal fine but most cables tend to be low quality and the signal may get fuzzy.

A dvi cable is digital and can't really mess up. A 0 goes in and 0 comes out; a 1 goes in and a 1 comes out.

If you're wondering, dvi is just superior to vga.

If your monitor is good and your cable is bad, you might be able to tell the difference. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

VGA quality can degrade if the cable is not well shielded.  DVI cable quality doesn't impact the signal as long as it works.

as well as length

use a VGA cable too long and the picture will be unbearably fuzzy

unless the monitor only supports VGA, I don't see a point in using VGA these days

Oh I see, thanks for all the explanations guys. :D Now I get that its all a matter of digital vs analog, and I'm going to actually invest in a DVI cable because I'm seeing that "fuzziness" and even some flickering on my monitor.