Media Center Software

Hi all,

I have a HTPC and currently trying to decide which media center software to use.  Windows Media Center, iTunes, or something else.  I have a pretty extensive collection of digital media (including music, movies, and TV shows).  I have heard from PCPer that Windows 10 will not have or support Windows Media Center (even as an extension like 8.1).  When 10 launches I will most likely upgrade and will need some software to organize and view the media.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Nobody forces you to upgrade to Windows 10 right? Just keep using 8.1 and Media Center if that fits your needs.

Correct, but Windows 10 looks like it may have some nice features that I may want to take advantage of.

Don't want to give you false hope or anything but i'm pretty sure someone will get Media Center to work in Windows 10, it's just a matter of time.

I can imagine out of all the windows users the percentage that actually use WMC is pretty small.  However, the actual number is probably decently large.  That will be a lot of people missing that software and I think Microsoft will get some negative feedback saying people want that software or something that is equivalent. 

Plex? This what you're talking about.

Yea something like Plex, Boxee, Media Portal, iTunes.  Any experiences with anything like that?

Yea something like Plex, Boxee, Media Portal, iTunes. Any experiences with anything like that?

i have a friend that has plex, shares his movies between family and friends, it can be a little costly for software now but, they love it.

Plex and XBMC are prob your two best bets. Plex if you wanna stream all your content to all your devices or xbmc if only using one device.

i have a friend that has plex, shares his movies between family and friends, it can be a little costly for software now but, they love it.

Plex and XBMC are prob your two best bets. Plex if you wanna stream all your content to all your devices or xbmc if only using one device.

What about Power DVD 15

In my opinion plex is the best option. It's really good, and I haven't ever had a problem.

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a HTPC and currently trying to decide which media center software to use.  Windows Media Center, iTunes, or something else.  I have a pretty extensive collection of digital media (including music, movies, and TV shows).  I have heard from PCPer that Windows 10 will not have or support Windows Media Center (even as an extension like 8.1).  When 10 launches I will most likely upgrade and will need some software to organize and view the media.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I use Media Portal and prefer it to both Plex and WMC. In my situation I do not use streaming accounts or sharing, I just play content from my local drives. If you don't mind having the Plex server running to watch local content it is probably the way to go and has some really good features. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm here to resurrect this thread and start a war by saying that Emby is BY FAR the best solution to a home network streaming. I have it on a rack-mount server with four quad core cpus and it is streaming content to 11 devices at one time with 1.5 mbps. 

http://emby.media/download/

19f7f6b65863bb59e8af601546959f7a.jpge2c5260063664d89b872208babbaaeeb.png