7970 or 680?

Jamdude

I would personally get the 680 because of adaptive vsync, physx and better control over graphic settings. But if I were using multiple displays I would get the Radeon because eyefinity is better than whatever it is nVidia has. Radeon is also better for pc gamers connecting to a tv instead of a monitor, because they scale correctly compared to nvidia. At that price point it's not so much about performance as it is features and price. They both perform basically the same.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD

Go with the 680 ...its much better off in certain games produced with nvidia support. Overclocking then ofcourse get a 7970.... 680's dont overclock as that much ue to nvidia greenlight

The 7970 and 680 are really close when it comes to performance. A game may be better or worse on either side, but we are talking very small sometimes unnoticeable differences. Find whichever is the cheapest at the time. Watch sales from ncix, newegg, tigerdirect etc. you'll be happy with either purchase.

I was trying to decide the same thing a few weeks ago. It was between the 680 Lightning, and the 7970 Vapor-X. I ended up going for the 680 because i wanted PhysX (looks amazing in Borderlands 2) and 3dVision.

You should get a 7970 and overclock 'til its guts come out.Better bang for your buck!!

I would say go for the 7970. Not only is it a good overclocker with 3GB of V Ram, it comes with 3 free games that are actually all fun. Or you could wait a couple more months until the 8870 comes out and buy that

Overall the 7970 is basically faster because of it's new 12.11 drivers.

With the current drivers recently released by AMD, the 7970 does have a slight advantage over the 680

I had the same problem choosing between 7950 and 660ti and im really glad i went for the 7950.

As much flame as AMD gets with theyr quite-horrible cpu's then GPU's are a real sunshine from them.

I overclocked it to 1150MHz and paired with a 3570k @ 4.5GHz i get 55-60fps on ultra preset at all times in BF3 at 1080p.

My benchmarks beat a stock 670 and I think when it comes to 7970 vs 680 id say go for 7970 and overclock it (MSI afterburner will help, pm me if you need help) esp. looking at the price difference.

Best wishes

- cheti

7970!

Really good performance per dollar and it still comes with the three free games. Also good if you plan to go to a higher resolution or get multiple monitors in the future.

7970 because it can oc better then the 680 (voltage)

Good performance per dollar.

Better performance when you go over to more then 2 screens or higher resolutions

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Asus Matrix HD7970, FTW :)

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

Neither! Wait for the new cards.

I think Nvidia also has better support for multi GPU setup (e.g. because auf the better drivers).

Personally I would got with Nvidia highend and ATI/AMD entry/midrange.

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

HD 7970 is a little better at high resolution setups even higher than 5760x1080 due to more memory, the GTX 680 is better for setups running a resolution of 5760x1080 or lower. Also you should take into account things like less coil wine on the GTX 680 and the HD 7970 cheaper price point. Overall, I would say it ism a matter of preference and what resolutions you plan to run the card at.

The 7970 has better price per performance than the 680 however it does use more power than the 680 and also the 680 is the faster card, although i wouldnt pay more for the 680 as you'll only get a few more fps in some games, go for the 7970 but if you've got money to burn get the 680

generally i would recommend to test AMD and Nvidia cards, then you can take the card-(manufactur) you prefer

depends on things like cuda and physics.

Eyefinity is no longer an argument for AMD since nvidia is able to do almost the same with the new 600series

7970 and OC it. I would recommend the Asus DirectCUII Model with the huge cooler to keep it cool under loads. The system is quiet also, very so. However Cuda on the Nvidia side is always a bonus for computing. Gaming I would say the 7970, for general usage the 680.

AMD FX 6300 4.0GHz, Noctua NH-UB9 ASUS GTX 650 Ti DirectCUII, 12 GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz CL9. Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Samsung SSD 840 120GB, Hitachi Ultrastar 7200RPM 500GB HDD. 450W XFX Pro 80+ Bronze housed in a CM Silencio 550.

depends on things like cuda and physics.

Eyefinity is no longer an argument for AMD since nvidia is able to do almost the same with the new 600series

Eyefinity is still better supported than Nvidia surround, have you tried setting a 3 monitor surround setup, it's a splitting headache !

Eyefinity is so much easier.

Even Linus said so...

I heard that the nvidia cards have lower framelatency this generation compared to the amd ones. I can't test it out myself though...

source

Well, multi-monitor: AMD

3D : Nvidia

I do own a 680 and tbh I regret not picking up a 7970 instead. Better overclocking and so on...

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

7970 is better in most games, but the 680 is far better for video editing. overall you wont notice any real difference unless youre video editing or doing something else that can use gpu acceleration.

I would go 680 if the price doesn't really matter. Even with AMD's new drivers, the 680 is a really fast card. ALso there are a few perks that come with it like GeForce Experience soon and PhysX. Also, if you get something like the lightning edition from MSI, it can overclock really well. Although, there aren't many games that overclocking will benefit you in, as even on max settings the FPS might be capped by your monitor more than your graphics card.

But honestly if I were you I would just wait for the next cards to see what they have to offer.