[Build Log] Project "Viper" - GREEN / BLACK G-Sync AIO build

Rydeen

I've built machines for some time, but the cable management, isn't always the best, I've been looking around at doing a new build for some time, but was going to put it on hold, but decided as I've just brought a house and I sort of have had a good offer for my old PC (which still can run BF4 @ 60FPS!) - what started as a slight upgrade (6950 GPU to a 7970 MYST GPU from a friend), to considering the Nvidia Edition HAF X case, to seeing how much a budget build would cost... has ended up with this:

Project: "Viper"

PCPartPicker part list (only for reference as I've purchased a few things elsewhere and not updated that - also some things aren't available on there to select)

Monitor: AOC G2460PG 24" 144Hz Nvidia G-Sync
Case: NZXT H440 (Green/Black) ATX Mid Tower
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM AIO (including Linus' "Ghetto" mod)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER B6 ATX LGA1150
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 100 Million Edition
PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Green)
Storage (M.2): Plextor M6e 128GB M.2-2280 (for OS/Software/games)
Storage (SSD): Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" SSD (for games)
Storage (HDD): Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB 3.5" 10000RPM (*from current build* - for browser / music / emulators)
Storage (External): Seagate Expansion 4TB External Hard Drive (for photos / videos / crap)
ODD (External)Samsung SE-208GB/RSBD

Mouse: Razer Death Adder

Mousemat: Steel Series 4HD

Headset: Steel Series Siberia V2 (Green)

Extra plans (guess they can't be called mods)...

Replacement CPU Cooler Fans (2x): Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm (for use in Linus' "Ghetto" mod) - to be in a PULL config in the top of the case.

Replacement FRONT Case Fans (3x): Alpenföhn Wing 120mm Boost 2 Plus PWM (Green)

Replacement REAR Case Fan: Alpenföhn Wing 140mm Boost 2 Plus PWM (Green)

Aesthetics: Various BitFenix Alchemy cables, 3x E22 14 slot transparent cable combs, possible storage shields (not wrapped), front 3.5" bays will be removed as they will be unused and to allow for better cooling from the 3 Alpenföhn's (1 or 2 going to a friend for his black/white H440 build to come later in the year)

I really like the Dodge Viper logo (http://www.floormatexpress.com/images/822073P.jpg), but doubt I'll add it on the case somewhere  :wacko:

This is my first dabble with anything water in cooling. I currently have the skyscraper that is a Tuniq Tower 120, which has bent slightly away from the board, so along with the nice LED's they can offer (ok, that's not important really), they are very light on the board, safe and seem to be maintenance free (bar cleaning)

I have gone for a total green and black scheme here. Since my last build (not including a laptop and 3 build for friends in between), it seems colour matching is important, and I agree. I've purchased mods before to attempt this, but could never really do anything inside due to money / availability etc. Now I can and this is why I've gone for certain things (i.e. the B85 and not Z87 / Z97 etc). I've also gone for more memory as I realised it was cheaper for the 1600 (which the Sniper is limited to) and that I do a lot of graphics and make music (not for a profession etc) - my current build does fine, but just needs updating! :)

Also, above, this relied on a lot of dealings (selling off vouchers, using discount codes/Nectar points, selling my old PC and the old fans from the new case etc). I have a spreadsheet I'm keeping at I'm pushing towards £1000 for this build (for everything including monitor and all the little minor aesthetic mod bits etc).
It was very appealing as a package so I purchased it. Also if there's one area I've got burned by before it's the PSU! so I've gone for a solid manufacturer.

Is overkill for this! I know. BUT it's fully modular, is 80+ Gold (although many say there's no point to this rating system!) and it was on a cracking deal compared to what others I was looking at.

I know some will look and think under 1TB is terrible, well, I've got everything configured how I will have it with the 4TB external storage playing it's part with pictures and videos etc. I don't play several games at once (I don't even buy that many games come to think of it - usually stick to a few). I have several back up memory cards and smaller HDD's for crucial things (FLAC/WAV for my music samples and pictures etc)

The 600GB Raptor is from my current build and is the only thing I'm keeping from it! It will probably be replaced soon enough, just for now I want to keep it to have the extra space for my SW Iron Portable browser, downloads before moving etc. and of course the costs down.

Will fill this area with update posts as and when things arrive etc and then when the build is coming along.

I hope some will follow and even offer comments. I wish I'd have registered on here earlier, but I did my bit on giving Linus the referal on my Amazon purchases for all of his vids over the last few years as I've just kept interested and now... here I offer a build...

The parts are all purchased as of yesterday, so we'll see how this pans out in the coming days/weeks...

IIRC, the Golden Greens are crazy nice units, would love one myself. When you get it, can you tell me what the free gift is that comes with the 100ME? I'm interested to know.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

IIRC, the Golden Greens are crazy nice units, would love one myself. When you get it, can you tell me what the free gift is that comes with the 100ME? I'm interested to know.

I've heard they're solid units too. They make for others apparently, I was going to go for Corsair (not for the green writing!) and a few of the EVGA units had cropped up, but there was talk that some were made by different factories, so didn't bother.

The free gift as far as I know is "The Witcher 3" as I've already received a game code for it.

Honestly, i wouldn't waste my money on a 10K RPM Velociraptor. Just get a 1TB Barracuda.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Honestly, i wouldn't waste my money on a 10K RPM Velociraptor. Just get a 1TB Barracuda.

I got advised on here to not put a massive post, hence the tags. If you read in my spoilers you'll see it's from a previous build.

I have a 7200.10 Barracuda in my current machine, but that's going with it when I sell it as a balance against the cost of this build. 

*EDIT* I'm going to update the list just to say it's from current build too! lol

Edited by Rydeen

Seems pretty neat, green and black always a good combo. Subbed.

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

Got a great bonus today when I went into a store to pick something up for a friend on the way home, over in a "sale" bin was this green duck tape. The colour? Similar to what the Alpenföhn's look like!

You can see what's coming here? -The Ghetto mod will now be GREEN! - Problem is, I'll have to try to make it look neater! - I've not got a steady hand at all!!!!

post-222607-0-60936100-1429657005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Few more pics after working on the garden and coming in to do this today with the help of a mate doing some videos on some things for Youtube too :)

With and without memory and a few cables pulled through (gutted the Bit Fenix cables aren't more Nvidia coloured).

post-222607-0-04583600-1430783045_thumb.post-222607-0-01851600-1430783046_thumb.

And some close ups of the RAM and the Noctua's taking their place in their Pull config position on the Kraken... (already sold the old NZXT stock Kraken fans too)

post-222607-0-61103000-1430783045.jpg

post-222607-0-49275600-1430783046.jpg

Got loads of Noctua spares lying around from the NF-A14 FLX'S, keeping them to list on ebay as I've just used the fans, nothing else and perhaps someone would want the extras and cases. I dunno, but still.. going to try to get some better res pics done soon enough too.

I doubt I'll do the duck tape mod as when the case is closed you cannot see the Noctua's in the pull config. Just the sexy rad!

post-222607-0-35747700-1430876387_thumb.

So after a week of bad news at work, I have continued the build. Been a really tiring week, but this will now be completed by tomorrow.

Changed the 120GB Samsung 850 EVO for a 500GB one.

Also, changed the Dealth Stalker to a BlackWidow Stealth (Silent key mechanical).

Setup is much better.