Bose Fan, Ready for the bashing. (Might be surprised)

AskMrJake

Hey guys, for a long time I have been a Bose fan, and was planning on saving money to buy the Bose Companion 5 speaker set up for my computer. I have always thought the sound quality was fantastic, and have never had any problems. (I work at an electronics store and get a more than generous discount on Bose products thankfully) But, I have been reading recently and have noticed that in the PC and Audio world, not many people care for Bose. At all. It caught me by surprise. Here is where you guys come in. Why does Bose have such a negative reputation online? And what would you recommend in place of the Companion 5 as a speaker set up? Has to include an L/R and Sub.

Thanks a ton you guys.

-Jake

Bose never really appealed to me. Their design as well as their high price tag isn't what I'm looking for when I'm buying pc speakers. What I give them credit for are their noise cancelling headphones. I have to fly quite regularly, and these headphones are the best 100€ I've ever spent. But apart from that, Bose isn't really worth its price imo.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Hi. 

My name is also Jake. 

The Council of Jakes has requested you hand over your name, you no long have the right to use it. 

I kid, it's not that bad. They aren't beats. 

I mean, they are still bad, just not as bad as beats. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Overpriced. That is mostly it I guess.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

There are kinda like Beats, there alright but madly overpriced for what they are

Similarly to beats, they put a huge chunk of money into advertising

Ex, Rory McIlroy advertisment 

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

-SNIP-

Bose has a pretty good quality stuff for the most part, but it's just the pricepoint, I would say as long as your getting a deal on your purchase I don't see it as a bad investment.

As alternatives I have seen many recommend the audio engine A2+.

Bose has a pretty good quality stuff for the most part, but it's just the pricepoint, I would say as long as your getting a deal on your purchase I don't see it as a bad investment.

As alternatives I have seen many recommend the audio engine A2+.

Checked out the speakers you recommended and they are only about $40 cheaper than the price I have available on the Companion 5. I am just hesitant to try another speaker brand because I have mostly accepted Bose as a quality audio company and am unsure if other brands truly do sound as good or better than Bose systems. From my experience, the products I have purchased have been pretty solid. Am I mistaken? Are there really better speakers for the price point? 

Hi. 

My name is also Jake. 

The Council of Jakes has requested you hand over your name, you no long have the right to use it. 

I kid, it's not that bad. They aren't beats. 

I mean, they are still bad, just not as bad as beats. 

Hey no worries,  I know beats are complete shit, and people that buy them piss me off. like. I hate you because beats. lol. But I was unaware Bose had a similar rep to so many people.

Hey no worries,  I know beats are complete shit, and people that buy them piss me off. like. I hate you because beats. lol. But I was unaware Bose had a similar rep to so many people.

Not nearly as bad. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

meh, it's just for the price you can get way better stuff

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

meh, it's just for the price you can get way better stuff

Companion 5 is retailed at 399.99, if I were to get them for say... 280... Would you say that would be worth it?

Internet hate choo choo, do what you want with your money.

True, many people are biased and fanboys, but I also do want to learn and get the most out of my hard earned cash. College makes it pretty scarce! xD

Companion 5 is retailed at 399.99, if I were to get them for say... 280... Would you say that would be worth it?

I was referring to their headphones, I despise speakers :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

In the past (like 10+ years ago), Bose speakers are the way to go for good stuffs. It's not crazy good, even at that time, but I'd say it's the lower level of 'hi-end' stuffs. It's considered hi-end, but kinda reasonable priced. I remember thinking a store must be hi-class if it got those Bose satellites hanging :)

Now as time went by, other companies got better and better, and they caught up with Bose's standard, with lower prices. This fact automatically make Bose products kinda overpriced. 

Well, the best thing is to judge by yourself. Do listening tests on various stuffs. Get the one that you think is best, regardless of the brand. 

At this point I think people that think Razer headsets are the best annoy me wayyy more. I have seen some people tout Bose as the best of the best simply by brand alone, but I guess people have done this for Beats too. Sennheiser too, but it's a little different there. The QC series are still nice products the last I checked. The speakers are not as highly regarded. I heard the QCs are pretty fragile in terms of build quality though.

I don't see a lot of Bose fanboying so I'm not overly bothered.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Bose established their name on speakers in the past they maintained that name on marketing, only recently with sennheiser have I seen these companies advertise much.

they had the lead in noise cancelling with the QC series but audio technica has caught up with them on that end. so now, they don't seem to have the lead over their competitors besides their ability to advertise..... which Beats is schooling everyone on how to do

The qc line is still the best noise canceling line up in the market.

Their speakers are fine but for their price it didn't impressed me that much.

The qc line is still the best noise canceling line up in the market.

Their speakers are fine but for their price it didn't impressed me that much.

Just to get things straight tho (for the readers), the QC is regarded as the best, only in the context of the noise cancelling. The sound quality itself is 'meh'....

Just to get things straight tho (for the readers), the QC is regarded as the best, only in the context of the noise cancelling. The sound quality itself is 'meh'....

Yea that is very clear to stress out they cost 300 they sound 100-150 in my mind but the noise canceling effect is the best on the market and in the environments where it is needed might make it sound equivalent MIGHT make it

Yea that is very clear to stress out they cost 300 they sound 100-150 in my mind but the noise canceling effect is the best on the market and in the environments where it is needed might make it sound equivalent MIGHT make it

I dont like bose headphones and their other gimmicky products but i do like the sound signature on their speakers.

The speakers are tiny, but damn they pack a lot of punch. My family has acoustic mass 5 for years now and I generally like its sparkly mids, which is incredibly good for female vocals

Price, hype (they were Beats before Dre!), and as xtroria said, gimmicky:

"Our exclusive TrueSpace® surround digital processing circuitry spreads the sound around you, so the enveloping effects seem to come from areas where there aren't even any speakers. The experience is developed especially for computer listening—putting you right in the middle of the music, the game, the special effects."

5.1 surround from a 2.1 speaker setup?  M'kay...  If you really want 5.1 for PC, you should really consider a set with 5.1 speakers!  But something else from the audiophile world...  "Buy what sounds good to YOU."  ;)

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Price, hype (they were Beats before Dre!), and as xtroria said, gimmicky:

"Our exclusive TrueSpace® surround digital processing circuitry spreads the sound around you, so the enveloping effects seem to come from areas where there aren't even any speakers. The experience is developed especially for computer listening—putting you right in the middle of the music, the game, the special effects."

5.1 surround from a 2.1 speaker setup?  M'kay...  If you really want 5.1 for PC, you should really consider a set with 5.1 speakers!  But something else from the audiophile world...  "Buy what sounds good to YOU."   ;)

Actually I tried their sound bar and the surround sound effect (it has surround effect drivers on each side) was surprisingly good, it tricked my ears as if there was a surround speaker behind me

Actually I tried their sound bar and the surround sound effect (it has surround effect drivers on each side) was surprisingly good, it tricked my ears as if there was a surround speaker behind me

Did it work as well as actually having surround speakers behind you?  This is gimmicky stuff they have been playing with for decades (ever seen a pair of 901?)  I don't doubt that it produced a surround effect better than similar items from some of their competitors but a sound bar will always BE a sound bar, and a 2.1 system will always be just two speakers and a subwoofer.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system