Opinions on WD's My Net Routers?

ShearMe

I recently purchased a WD My Net N900, and immediately started having problems with random drop-outs. Then fan never turned on and the unit got quite hot, so I figured it was overheating, but since putting a big Noctua fan on the outside did nothing, I RMA'd it. Since the RMA department was flat out of N900 units (an off putting thought) They sent me a 2TB N900 Central. All I thought at the time was, "Woo! Upgrade!"

Alas, straight out of the box I am having the same problems. Would it be safe to say WD routers just suck? Should i just rip out the HDD and cut my losses?

Every experience ive had with ordinary consumer routers was horrible, they worked and then dropped connection, didnt load web pages while everything else worked fine and i had 3 of them.

Ive stepped up and bought a Mikrotik board and so far its working well.

If you know something about networking don't bother with this crap and get an SMB router or a pfSense box.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

My Cisco branded referb. Linksys works fine but for occasional ping spikes due to heat damage, and my WRT54g before that still works like new. The FastTrack QoS on the N900 is absolutely fantastic when the router is working. If I wanted to spend the time aor money I'd just route Cat 7 to all of the rooms in my home and build an unmanaged switch and be done with it. Alas, buying a $100 device to send wifi throughout my home is more feasible for us peasants.

Edited by ShearMe

I recently purchased a WD My Net N900, and immediately started having problems with random drop-outs. Then fan never turned on and the unit got quite hot, so I figured it was overheating, but since putting a big Noctua fan on the outside did nothing, I RMA'd it. Since the RMA department was flat out of N900 units (an off putting thought) They sent me a 2TB N900 Central. All I thought at the time was, "Woo! Upgrade!"

Alas, straight out of the box I am having the same problems. Would it be safe to say WD routers just suck? Should i just rip out the HDD and cut my losses?

I was reading yesterday that a few people have had problems with them but recent firmware updates have solved a lot of the problems, so I would check you are on the latest firmware and update if need be, and if you are on the latest then yeah perhaps cut your losses, depending what you need from a router there are loads of good cheap ones, I use a TP-Link Gigabit TL-WR1043ND and it has never needed so much as a reboot from it being plugged in, not bad for £40.

Have you tried updating the firmware? This may seem weird, but they may have firmware issues that they've corrected.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB