Blu-ray issues

Ok so I recently bought a blu ray drive (Asus BC-12B1ST).

However when I tried to watch a blu ray, I discovered that software could be an issue.

The Blu-ray I have will not play on my machine through VLC or any other free player I could find.

I tried downloading the VLC aacs library, and associated files, and it still doesn't work (Error message: Your system AACS decoding library does not work. Missing keys?)

Can anyone solve this issue without me having to buy new software, or even explain why it isn't working?

Thanks in advance

Rhys

Additional information: The Blu-ray I was testing with was "Seven Psychopaths."

VLC can't play Blur-rays directly. I know that Cyberlink PowerDVD definately works but it's not freeware (I think there is a free 30 day trial).

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

I was in this position for a while.

You can fiddle all day to get VLC to play blu rays and 9/10 times it won't work.

EVERY commercial player capable of playing blu ray is a bloated piece of turd. Powerdvd for example starts up and doesn't play the bd automatically, it wants to faff around streaming your pictures and getting you to log in and blahblahblahblahb. Plus it crashes and won't run if one of your monitors is in portrait mode.

I have found the best way to watch blu rays on pc is to rip them with makemkv, then compress them (to mkv) with handbrake. As long as you have the storage (I have a home server, but a 3tb drive would be ok for a lot of films) it will be fine.

VLC will play these files no problem. The best part about this is you can rip only the bits you need. by default makemkv strips out all the really short bits of video (adverts/commericals/menus) and then you can select which audio track to include and which subtitles (if any).

Edited by NRG

Powerdvd for example starts up and doesn't play the bd automatically, it wants to faff around streaming your pictures and getting you to log in and blahblahblahblahb. Plus it crashes and won't run if one of your monitors is in portrait mode.

I don't have any of those problems with PowerDVD, except the portrait mode part. running version 10 by the way.

i use total media theatre. it always works and hasn't failed me once. best part of it is that it doesn't want you to log into anything. which is something i HATE in powerDVD.

there are no free players that can handle blurays directly. if you don't care about the sound quality being a little lower you can use the above method to rip them to MKV. otherwise you'll have to buy a program to play blurays. or... you know the "other" way of getting those programs which i don't think we can talk about.

I have no signature

I just have to add that it's a complete joke that you're meant to first pay for the blu-ray player and then pay for some crap software before you're able to play blu-rays on it. PowerDVD is horrible, some edition of that came included with my player, but of course it didn't work anyway (except with normal DVDs).

GTX 580 might not support blu-ray playback their support said, they told me to get a modern graphics card (and this was nearly two years ago).

It just makes people want to go the illegal way and just rip or use various crack methods instead.

I just have to add that it's a complete joke that you're meant to first pay for the blu-ray player and then pay for some crap software before you're able to play blu-rays on it. PowerDVD is horrible, some edition of that came included with my player, but of course it didn't work anyway (except with normal DVDs).

GTX 580 might not support blu-ray playback their support said, they told me to get a modern graphics card (and this was nearly two years ago).

It just makes people want to go the illegal way and just rip or use various crack methods instead.

Yea it does, it makes me sick.

I was devastated when I'd spent £50 on a blu ray player, and then couldn't play blu-rays.

It's a joke