i5 3570k Unstable at 4.5Ghz

I recently upgraded my computer's main hardware CPU, Ram, and motherboard. I picked up a i5 3570k with an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 because I've heard decent feedback about it. It's been around a month and a half so I decided to overclock. I was unfamiliar with this socket so i started to undervolt. It booted and was stable and 0.900V so I was under the impression that I got a good run of the die. I brought it up to 4.2 Ghz at stock voltages with a level one load line calibration. It was stable after a stress test for 20 hours on prime95 small FFT's. I proceeded to bring up to 4.5 Ghz on stock voltages because that seemed to be a run of the mill overclock. I went through the routine. I stress tested and ran into some error's about an hour in. Such as programs running in the background crashing(Skype, Chrome, etc). I tried to run a game (Arma II and BF3) and it did not want to launch. the temps maxed out on load at 59C.

Specs:

i5 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz

CoolerMaster Hyper 212+

8Gb DDR3 G.Skill Sniper Ram 1600Mhz

EVGA GTX 660 (non ti) SuperClocked

ASRock Z77 Extreme4

800 Watt CoolerMaster Silent Pro

500GB Hitatchi 7200RPM Hard Drive

LG Optical drive

System- CPU: i5 3570k MB: Asrock Extreme3 Z77 RAM: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600mHz GPU: EVGA SC GTX 660 Case: NZXT Tempest 210 Storage: Intel 730 Seriese SSD, WD Blue 500GB in RAID 0 PSU: 800W Seasonic PSU Displays: Asus VE248H---x2 Cooling: CM Hyper 212+ KB: Daskeyboard Professional 2012 Blue Switch Mouse: Original Razer Deathadder

•  

then increase the voltage.

most i5 3570K's can get to 4.1 - 4.3ghz at stock voltage,4.5ghz and up is about the point where you typically need to increase voltage.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

then increase the voltage.

most i5 3570K's can get to 4.1 - 4.3ghz at stock voltage,4.5ghz and up is about the point where you typically need to increase voltage.

This. Id expect to get 4.2 at stock V. Try 4.5ghz at 1.40V then slowly drop the voltage.

Okay guys thank you im currently running at 4.5ghz at 1.15V stable.

System- CPU: i5 3570k MB: Asrock Extreme3 Z77 RAM: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600mHz GPU: EVGA SC GTX 660 Case: NZXT Tempest 210 Storage: Intel 730 Seriese SSD, WD Blue 500GB in RAID 0 PSU: 800W Seasonic PSU Displays: Asus VE248H---x2 Cooling: CM Hyper 212+ KB: Daskeyboard Professional 2012 Blue Switch Mouse: Original Razer Deathadder

•  

Can you give me the link for the overclocking guide? Planning to do mine soon and i'm afraid of burning it :P

You're also forgetting that you're only on a 212. Most overclocks i've seen on those only go up to about 4.2,4.3. I've seen a few 4.5's but they're fairly few and far between. You may need to upgrade your thermal solution if you're pushing hard.

wow nice. you won the silicon lottery. i wouldnt push very hard because you're only usin a 212. what temps are you gettin?

You're also forgetting that you're only on a 212. Most overclocks i've seen on those only go up to about 4.2,4.3. I've seen a few 4.5's but they're fairly few and far between. You may need to upgrade your thermal solution if you're pushing hard.
considering that his temps are 59C @ 4.5ghz,maybe increased to 65C with the voltage bump it's still perfectly fine.

if the hyper 212 couldn't handle that voltage/clock then it'd be having higher temps,whereas 65C is below what you'd get on stock clocks with the intel stock cooler.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

wow nice. you won the silicon lottery. i wouldnt push very hard because you're only usin a 212. what temps are you gettin?

around 60-65 but I'm am making the switch to an h100i very soon

•  

Just an update

post-4420-13667861449864_thumb.png

•