Frame Rates Issue

DevilishBooster
Go to solution Solved by tmlhalo,

I've been focusing on getting important files transferred and resetting system settings, but I was able to get one game installed that had significant issues with freezing/stuttering (SW-KOTOR). It's an older game so I felt it would be a good test as it should not have been freezing even on the WD Black2 drive. Initial results seem to show that the problem has been fixed, so I'm confident in saying that the issue was the HDD portion of the Black2. I will post a second update and (hopefully) mark this as solved once I am able to install a couple more games and run real tests. Here are the HDTune results I got immediately after getting the drive set up and the OS installed.

This is the Intel 530 Series m.2 that holds the OS and core programs.

attachicon.gif2015-01-13_2100.png

These are the two Crucial M550 SSDs holding the games/higher demand programs.

attachicon.gif2015-01-13_2105.pngattachicon.gif2015-01-13_2118.png

And this is a WD Black HDD I'm using for file storage since I don't need lightning fast access for Word and Music.

attachicon.gif2015-01-13_2123.png

Everything looks right by the charts. Access times are low. Transfer rate is sitting above 200 MB/s for the SSDs. As you can see in your 2.5 5400 rpm WD 640 GB drive it doesn't have those extreme dips like the WD Black^2 did. Some part of that Black^2 was defective. Glad to hear the SW KOTOR tests turned out good. If you have any free roam open world games they usually are the most demanding for dynamically loading parts of the map. Though 99.99999% positive the issue is fixed.

the one I found was 5400.

did you do a cmos reset by any chance? wonder what the ram is actually running at. maybe something a little off and a reset might help. ( voltages/speed, etc. )

I have not done a CMOS reset. Here is what CPU-Z is reporting the RAM at. 

post-63986-0-33502800-1420337972.png

post-63986-0-84586700-1420337977.png

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

the idea of mentioning a cmos reset was to get you to do it. memory might not have been the only thing amiss.

also, the ram, you have 2 sticks. try 1 at a time and swap slots one at a time.

kill all extra apps that start with windows other than games. ( start/msconfig/start-up/services.). filter ms stuff ( check box at bottom)

the idea of mentioning a cmos reset was to get you to do it. memory might not have been the only thing amiss.

also, the ram, you have 2 sticks. try 1 at a time and swap slots one at a time.

kill all extra apps that start with windows other than games. ( start/msconfig/start-up/services.). filter ms stuff ( check box at bottom)

I already had the start-up set to be just the OS and my AV (along with the Qaulcomm LAN Service and AMD). I just reset CMOS. Should I try running the games when I remove/swap the RAM sticks, because I'm not sure how to test the RAM is all I'm doing is removing half of it and moving it to a new slot....

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I have not done a CMOS reset. Here is what CPU-Z is reporting the RAM at. 

attachicon.gif2015-01-03_2016.png

attachicon.gif2015-01-03_2017.png

Basically you'll want to power off and discharge the machine. Remove one stick, turn it back on and test. If everything runs fine then you power off and discharge the machine and swap the sticks. If one of the sticks has stutter and the other doesn't then one of your sticks of ram is bad.

I already had the start-up set to be just the OS and my AV (along with the Qaulcomm LAN Service and AMD). I just reset CMOS. Should I try running the games when I remove/swap the RAM sticks, because I'm not sure how to test the RAM is all I'm doing is removing half of it and moving it to a new slot....

If you want to test the hard drive, you can see what it is benchmarking with this.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Your hard disk drive should be getting around ~120 MB/s or higher on the transfer test on HDtune.

If you want to test the hard drive, you can see what it is benchmarking with this.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Your hard disk drive should be getting around ~120 MB/s or higher on the transfer test on HDtune.

Uuuhhhh....... Sooooo... Yeaaahhh... Maybe the HDD is the problem?

post-63986-0-72257100-1420345504.png

END OF LINE

Basically you'll want to power off and discharge the machine. Remove one stick, turn it back on and test. If everything runs fine then you power off and discharge the machine and swap the sticks. If one of the sticks has stutter and the other doesn't then one of your sticks of ram is bad.

and don't forget to try each ram stick in different slots. may be a bad slot.

I look at that chart above........ isn't that high for access time? been a long time for HD's for me. didn't hey used to be under 10ms or something?

Someone solved this issue (the reason i ditched my FX-8350 for an i7 4790K). Apparently it was some setting in the BOIS. 
If i remember correctly, it was turning off HPET in the BIOS. 

Aside from that, don't use AW as a test; even on my system it did that. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

and don't forget to try each ram stick in different slots. may be a bad slot.

I look at that chart above........ isn't that high for access time? been a long time for HD's for me. didn't hey used to be under 10ms or something?

I'm not sure, to be honest, like I said the other day I'm still learning a lot. I just did a second benchmark though, after restarting my computer, and it's the same story.

post-63986-0-19608600-1420346468.png

What concerns me is the regular drops down to 1.0MB/s or less.

END OF LINE

I know you're not goint to want to do this but......... install one of the troubling games onto the sdd. what happens now>?

Someone solved this issue (the reason i ditched my FX-8350 for an i7 4790K). Apparently it was some setting in the BOIS.

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

END OF LINE

I know you're not goint to want to do this but......... install one of the troubling games onto the sdd. what happens now>?

I was already considering that. Lol. I have a checklist of things to get through tonight, including finishing testing the RAM sticks/DIMM slots. I'll see how everything goes and post an update in a few hours or so (maybe not until tomorrow morning).

END OF LINE

I found that setting in my UEFI and disabled it. I also made sure to look it up so I understood what you were talking about. It sounds to me like it can hamper i5/i7 and AMD equivelant CPUs, since they use Invariant TSC (HPET's successor) instead of HPET. I'm not sure if I will notice any difference, but we'll see. Something else that I just noticed now that I have the side panel sitting off the tower is that the UEFI switch on my GC was disabled, so my GC has been running in legacy mode for an unknown amount of time. I switched it back to UEFI mode, and I'm going to test a couple games to see if that made any changes. I have no clue how it got switched off because I'm 99% sure it was on the last time I put the side panel back on. 

END OF LINE

I'll be  awake..... maybe....LOL

Yay, Night Owls!

END OF LINE

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

I second the install a game to the SSD portion, I'd consider doing that before the RAM. Something doesn't seem right about the benchmark. The drop down box to select the drive, is there only one drive or do you get the option to pick between the SSD and the HDD? The access time isn't bad. between 8 - 15 ms is normal for a 7200 rpm drive. A 5400 rpm will be slightly slower. The thing that bothers me is the access time spread as well as the random burst in the front. Across the bottom of the chart are data points for access time. There is way too many down there for being concurrent memory addresses. I'm thinking the utility is testing the SSD portion of the drive as well as the HDD. The large spike in the front is more consistent with SSD read / write as well as the <1 ms access times. Once it drops off the bar maintains around ~120 MB/s which is exactly what we were looking for. As it test memory addresses farther into the disk it slows down. The center of a spinning platter is slower than the edge. The spikes down to 1 MB/s second aren't accounted for so I see this as a promising lead. If you can select between the HDD and SSD in this benchmark then that ends my theory and I need to go put a dent in the wall with my head to make sense of that curve.

I second the install a game to the SSD portion, I'd consider doing that before the RAM. Something doesn't seem right about the benchmark. The drop down box to select the drive, is there only one drive or do you get the option to pick between the SSD and the HDD? The access time isn't bad. between 8 - 15 ms is normal for a 7200 rpm drive. A 5400 rpm will be slightly slower. The thing that bothers me is the access time spread as well as the random burst in the front. Across the bottom of the chart are data points for access time. There is way too many down there for being concurrent memory addresses. I'm thinking the utility is testing the SSD portion of the drive as well as the HDD. The large spike in the front is more consistent with SSD read / write as well as the <1 ms access times. Once it drops off the bar maintains around ~120 MB/s which is exactly what we were looking for. As it test memory addresses farther into the disk it slows down. The center of a spinning platter is slower than the edge. The spikes down to 1 MB/s second aren't accounted for so I see this as a promising lead. If you can select between the HDD and SSD in this benchmark then that ends my theory and I need to go put a dent in the wall with my head to make sense of that curve.

Unfortunately it does not give me two different drives. It lists it as one drive totaling 1120GB, even though the computer recognizes them at two independent drives. I'll start working on getting a game installed to the SSD.

END OF LINE

Unfortunately it does not give me two different drives. It lists it as one drive totaling 1120GB, even though the computer recognizes them at two independent drives. I'll start working on getting a game installed to the SSD.

You saved a wall today good sir. I was going to have to knock it down if you said it did give you the option to select between the 2. So the large burst in the front is indeed the SSD and most of those yellow dots at the bottom are related to it. 

You saved a wall today good sir. I was going to have to knock it down if you said it did give you the option to select between the 2. So the large burst in the front is indeed the SSD and most of those yellow dots at the bottom are related to it. 

Ok, so when I fired up my pc for the first time today, the very first thing I did was run 3 HDTuner benchmarks, and here are the results.

post-63986-0-17408400-1420406076.pngpost-63986-0-48530100-1420406076.pngpost-63986-0-72512600-1420406076.png

I am starting to wonder if it's a faulty drive and not a faulty power circuit in the GC. Look at this guy's results. http://www.techwarelabs.com/western-digital-black%C2%B2-dual-drive-review-two-drives-in-one/2/

Just for kicks I moved the slider in the settings the last remaining notch so that the test would be as accurate as possible while sacrificing speed and these were the results. It seems to me that the frequency and severity of the sudden drops in read speed get worse as the drive heats up. Thoughts?

post-63986-0-46211600-1420406860.png

END OF LINE

Ok, so when I fired up my pc for the first time today, the very first thing I did was run 3 HDTuner benchmarks, and here are the results.

attachicon.gif2015-01-04_1455.pngattachicon.gif2015-01-04_1459.pngattachicon.gif2015-01-04_1506.png

I am starting to wonder if it's a faulty drive and not a faulty power circuit in the GC. Look at this guy's results. http://www.techwarelabs.com/western-digital-black%C2%B2-dual-drive-review-two-drives-in-one/2/

Just for kicks I moved the slider in the settings the last remaining notch so that the test would be as accurate as possible while sacrificing speed and these were the results. It seems to me that the frequency and severity of the sudden drops in read speed get worse as the drive heats up. Thoughts?

attachicon.gif2015-01-04_1525.png

The spikes down to 1 MB/s are an anomaly that I'm not sure what could cause them. I also don't know if they are effecting the games, so if you try out a game that is installed on the SSD portion and it plays fine then we know we should start an RMA on the drive. The temperature is a little high but it isn't hot  so it might just be damaged. 

Hey so ive been having the same probs with a similar setup (ssd boot/storage hdd) ive rulled out any hardware problems and am going to try to install a game to the ssd and get back with the results

The spikes down to 1 MB/s are an anomaly that I'm not sure what could cause them. I also don't know if they are effecting the games, so if you try out a game that is installed on the SSD portion and it plays fine then we know we should start an RMA on the drive. The temperature is a little high but it isn't hot  so it might just be damaged. 

I'm running a error scan and it has already found one damaged block with over 50% of the scan remaining. I'll test the game i installed on the SSD portion as soon as it is finished.

END OF LINE

Just played a game installed on my ssd. Had no issues or dropped frames at all and pushed to highests possible settings no issues. My hdd didnt test bad but whatever its fixed now

it's not really fixed. the drive is still bad. but anyways, there could be a major problem executing from the drive also. I had problems in the past and most stuff I used/ran needed to be on the main drive. Secondary's I found are good for storage. That was about it.

I downloaded CrystalDiskMark and ran a couple tests. CDM did recognize them as two separate drives, so at least I have some kind of data that isolates them. Here's what I got.

post-63986-0-59069000-1420423556.pngpost-63986-0-59848100-1420423558.png

END OF LINE