Best performance airflow setup for NZXT Phantom 630 (Overclocking)

NickyVida
Go to solution Solved by Giac,

I see... Hmm i'll think i'll retain the 212 instead and replace the original coolermaster fans. Can Corsair AP/SP's be mounted on the 212 evo?

Any 120MM fan will do. Because of the fairly low fin density on the 212 I would maybe lean towards AP120s instead of SPs.

Hi guys. Am setting up a rig and am gonna be overclocking the 4770k on air.

What would be the best setup  over the stock case fans and CPU cooler for maximum raw cooling performance for highest clocks? i dont really care about the noise but just the cooling performance.

Im currently  thinking of migrating my  Hyper 212 evo CPU cooler from my old rig over to the new case but im not sure how it fares in overclocking. It has an additional fan (Gentle Typhoon)  with the original fan.

Thanks in advance!

Hyper 212 should be enough to keep your CPU in check with a voltage around 1.2-1.25. Anything more than that and you may run into trouble. I cant be certain on how your 4770K would behave though (I only have my 3770K for comparison).

My advice would be to try and stay below 85C

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

Hyper 212 should be enough to keep your CPU in check with a voltage around 1.2-1.25. Anything more than that and you may run into trouble. I cant be certain on how your 4770K would behave though (I only have my 3770K for comparison).

My advice would be to try and stay below 85C

I see. how do i adjust voltages? its my first time ocing(coming from a locked chip before i upgraded)so im not sure what to do regarding cooling/ overclocking

I see. how do i adjust voltages? its my first time ocing(coming from a locked chip before i upgraded)so im not sure what to do regarding cooling/ overclocking

With Z87 there are two methods. "normal" and offset. The entry to change your voltage should be called something like CPU Vcore.

On pretty much every modern processor there are set frequencies it will downclock to while idle to save power. The CPU not only lowers the frequency but also the voltage. Changing the offset will KEEP those voltage "steppings". If you up vcore offset by say 10mv, at every step the CPU will run with a 10mv higher voltage.

Setting the voltage manually will fix the CPU Vcore to whatever you set it to. The disadvantage of this being higher power draw at idle.

Hope that makes sense...kinda made a mess of explaining. If you need help overclocking send me a PM and I'll try and help you out.

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

With Z87 there are two methods. "normal" and offset. The entry to change your voltage should be called something like CPU Vcore.

On pretty much every modern processor there are set frequencies it will downclock to while idle to save power. The CPU not only lowers the frequency but also the voltage. Changing the offset will KEEP those voltage "steppings". If you up vcore offset by say 10mv, at every step the CPU will run with a 10mv higher voltage.

Setting the voltage manually will fix the CPU Vcore to whatever you set it to. The disadvantage of this being higher power draw at idle.

Hope that makes sense...kinda made a mess of explaining. If you need help overclocking send me a PM and I'll try and help you out.

I see. Thanks. So higher voltages will mean it runs more unstably? but allowing a higher clock speed?

Really worried about this as i heard Haswell chips will be undeniably hot when OCing and im nt sure if my 212 evo is up to the task.

A 212 Evo is not up to overclocking Haswell.

what makes you say that? A mild overclock will work fine with Haswell. Most of these chips can reach 4Ghz while undervolting! Hell I ran my 3570K with the stock cooler at 4Ghz for a while with a -10mv offset.

I see. Thanks. So higher voltages will mean it runs more unstably? but allowing a higher clock speed?

Really worried about this as i heard Haswell chips will be undeniably hot when OCing and im nt sure if my 212 evo is up to the task.

Higher voltages = higher heat output. Higher voltages are needed to stay stable at higher frequencies. Since it's your first time I would go with a mild overclock, like 4.0-4.2Ghz. That should be very attainable with your cooler. You might even be able to undervolt the chip and run at a higher clockpseed. It all depends on how lucky you are :)

oh i see. What air cooler should i get then?

If you don't intend on going crazy a hyper 212 should suffice. If you want to start off hardcore I'd recommend a Silver Arrow/NH-D14....although it might be worth waiting for the new revision Noctua announced at Computex.

what makes you say that? A mild overclock will work fine with Haswell. Most of these chips can reach 4Ghz while undervolting! Hell I ran my 3570K with the stock cooler at 4Ghz for a while with a -10mv offset.

Higher voltages = higher heat output. Higher voltages are needed to stay stable at higher frequencies. Since it's your first time I would go with a mild overclock, like 4.0-4.2Ghz. That should be very attainable with your cooler. You might even be able to undervolt the chip and run at a higher clockpseed. It all depends on how lucky you are :)

If you don't intend on going crazy a hyper 212 should suffice. If you want to start off hardcore I'd recommend a Silver Arrow/NH-D14....although it might be worth waiting for the new revision Noctua announced at Computex.

Oh i see. Thanks for clarifying. Is there something just below the Noctua cooler that's avalabile? Am on a tight budget so i'll probably invest in adding another fan instead to the cooler i buy.

Oh i see. Thanks for clarifying. Is there something just below the Noctua cooler that's avalabile? Am on a tight budget so i'll probably invest in adding another fan instead to the cooler i buy.

hmmm...I'm not sure...haven't bought an air cooler in ages. Xigmatek Dark Knight?

hmmm...I'm not sure...haven't bought an air cooler in ages. Xigmatek Dark Knight?

I see... Hmm i'll think i'll retain the 212 instead and replace the original coolermaster fans. Can Corsair AP/SP's be mounted on the 212 evo?

Any 120MM fan will do. Because of the fairly low fin density on the 212 I would maybe lean towards AP120s instead of SPs.

i see. Thanks alot :)

i see. Thanks alot :)

Np Bra :)