What exactly is DRM?

joelthezombie15

I was talking to my cousin about gaming and what not and we got to drm and i couldnt remember exactly what it is and why its bad. Isnt it a type of anti piracy?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

DRM (Digital Rights Management) allows the publisher of a software to control how one is able to use it in certain ways after it has been sold to the customer. It ranges from things like limiting second installs of software to always-on verification of users (and even manipulation of software function). Whether or not it is a good thing is debatable.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

DRM (Digital Rights Management) allows the publisher of a software to control how one is able to use it in certain ways after it has been sold to the customer.

So how exactly does it adversly affect game play?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

So how exactly does it adversly affect game play?

It doesn't affect gameplay directly, but it may for example not allow you to play the game, or take away certain aspects of things you can do in the game (specific to you because the publisher thought you had too powerful a sword or something like that). It originally came about to monitor piracy, but now, people like Blizzard use it for many many things.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Its a very bad thing that needs to die....

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

It doesn't affect gameplay directly, but it may for example not allow you to play the game, or take away certain aspects of things you can do in the game (specific to you because the publisher thought you had too powerful a sword or something like that). It originally came about to monitor piracy, but now, people like Blizzard use it for many many things.

Okay thanks

Steam for example would be a type of DRM, have you ever installed a game and a pop up from secuROM asked for the product key to activate it, thats also DRM. understand? c:

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

good old games said it best

"DRM, also called copy protection, tries to control you and your games. We don’t believe in that - all of the games on GOG.com come without any DRM at all!"

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

"DRM, also called copy protection, tries to control you and your games. We don’t believe in that - all of the games on GOG.com come without any DRM at all!"

same with humble bundle games :)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Okay, thanks

Its a very bad thing that needs to die....

So you want them to close steam? Steam is Digital Rights Management.

Good article explaining what it actually is/how it works.

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/d/f/What-Is-DRM-Digital-Rights-Management.htm

Thank you

Its a platform where i can install my game as on many computers i want too but it is some kind of DRM, the DRM i want to go is securom and GWFL.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

Steam is far less draconian than most. At least Steam allows you to play singleplayer//offline games without having to sign into Steam. Some DRM have required "always online" to play singleplayer games, which was later removed.

Steam is still a DRM in the sense that you need the Steam client to play games. It's not very restrictive.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Steam is far less draconian than most. At least Steam allows you to play singleplayer//offline games without having to sign into Steam. Some DRM have required "always online" to play singleplayer games, which was later removed.

Steam is still a DRM in the sense that you need the Steam client to play games. It's not very restrictive.

Its a platform where i can install my game as on many computers i want too but it is some kind of DRM, the DRM i want to go is securom and GWFL.

I know, but he said DRM needs to die. He never said which DRM. Sorry for the confusion.

I know, but he said DRM needs to die. He never said which DRM. Sorry for the confusion.

I should have worded it intrusive drm.... no worries mate :)

Comparing what there was in the 80's, the protection there is now is minimal.

Codewheels,  manuals printed on purple paper with black ink to prevent photocopying,  being forced to look up words in manuals [Page XX, Paragraph XXX, Line XX,  XX word]  to get a game to run.

dongles,.......

Trust me, DRM today is childs play compared to the old days.

http://royal.pingdom.com/2009/08/26/wacky-copy-protection-methods-from-the-good-old-days/

DRM as other have said is Digital Right Management. Its a copy and usage protection so the object in question does not get used in a way that the developer did not want or intend. 

It 'stops' copies of games and movies from being created and distributed to the public for free. Other ways is it can request check ins so you have to be connected to the internet in order to play said that game.

Some games this does negatively effect and does change how the game is made. Sim City for example required online connectivity for the save files and check ins in order to play.

Another game that got hit badly with because of DRM was in fact a company who is strongly against DRM Witcher 2. On release the game was plagued with errors and long load times because of DRM. Once they removed all DRM in a later patch load times were increased and even in game fps was increased.

Games have multiple types of DRM included that can cause long load times because the game has to do a check to make sure it is a legit copy of the game. Crysis 3 has this feature in it.

DRM only hurts the people who buy the object legitimately because for those who steal it have all the DRM removed and are unaffected. The only thing DRM does is increase the time it takes to crack a game from the release hour to the next day.

Source: Wiki, Self

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd