Temperature sensor placement

JakubOCD

I picked up a fan controller (bitfenix recon) today and I was wondering where I should put the temperature sensors?

Intake, exhaust, HDD cage, ram, near the CPU, near the Graphics Card and PSU? Thats two more options than there are sensors.. hope I helped

If your limited to the amount of sensor to choose from then pick the ones that are most important

in order of general importance

- CPU

- GPU

- PSU

- Intake

- HDD

- RAM

- Exhaust

Definitely begin with the CPU and GPU. Those are the hottest components in your case and the ones that should be monitored the closest.

Problem with Thermal sensors and new chip design - you cannot really get the sensor anywhere near the core component generating the heat, in the case of a CPU or GPU. I would say attach one to the exaust area of your CPU cooler. If it gets to hot, ramp up CPU and intake fans. Maybe one near exhaust on GPU cooler? If it gets to hot, ramp up intake and side intake fans?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I use Aida64 to monitor CPU, GPU and HDDs, while NZXT Sentry LXE to monitor intake air, general case temps, power delivery, GPU air exhaust and HDDs air exhaust.

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

I was also wondering if these tempertures are OK, when ever I play Far Cry 3, My CPU temperatures get up to 74*C and my GeForce GTS 250 gets up to 98*C. Are those too high? I'll be putting an intake right where the graphics card sits this weekend to help with the cooling.

The only one you can measure well is the temp of air.

So

- Intake

- Intake 2 (from ground possible)

- CPU cooler (Check how hot the metal is)

- Exhaust (on GPU)

- Exhaust 2 (on top of the case)

- Exhaust 3 (back of case)

That should give you the most valuable data telling you what fan speeds need to be increased.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I would place them back in the box within which your fan controller was delivered. They will provide you nothing meaningful.

Yeah you can manage the fan curves off them to some extent but getting them anywhere near your heat creating components is an impossible task.

Use something like HWMonitor to check the temps of your system then load the system Prime95/Memtest whatever and set your fans manually to a speed that your comfortable with on both noise and cooling function.

I use a Kazemaster ace and my advice would be that the temp sensors are almost completely useless.

As Whaler sez u cannot place sensors near core components that actually generete the most heat ie. CPU, GPU. U can place sensors in certain areas in and around but the temps u are recording wont really tell u anythin particulary useful.

A sensor to tell u the ambient temp in the case may be ok but not really that important.

What type of MOBO do u have? I just use the software in that to monitor CPU and i use EVGA precision x for GPU.

All other temps r really not that important