intel I series 2nd Gen and PCI Express

Go to solution Solved by silveragen,

I personally would get a GTX 970 :)

That aside, it really doesnt matter if you got PCI-E 2.0 oder 3.0 as long as you got 2.0 @ 16x. I'm running both my 660 (SLI) 3.0 @ 8x which is about the same speed as 2.0 @ 16x and they work just fine.

Also you CPU is just fine, stick with it.

Just get the card you want.

AMD GPU's are PCI-E 3.0 just like Nvidia right now, the CPU's from AMD on the FX line only support PCI-E 2.0 (I think It might have changed since bulldozer) and your processor, the I5 only has PCI-E 2.0 support but it doesn't matter AT ALL for GPU's really, you won't over saturate the PCI-E lane you're using regardless. Go with the GTX 970 and be happy till you need to upgrade your cpu! 

OK thanks for your advice sir!

I have question. I had proc intel i5 2500k and nvidia GTX 660. I had read somewhere, and it say if I had 2nd gen of intel i series, then my GPU pci is downgraded to 2.0 instead of 3.0. Is that correct? and i had heard amd is running in PCI 2.0, is that correct? So i wondering, for me better to upgrade my VGA to 970(which i have waited for a long time ago and save my money to buy it) or instead buy AMD R9 280x? I dont think I would upgrade my cpu until I had enough money to get an intel 2011-3 proc. thanks for listening to my question and your advice.

btw this is my full spec pc (i build it in early 2010)
I5 2500k OC to 4.3Ghz
MSI z 77a g43
2x8GB corsair Vengeance Pro
MSI GTX 660 twinfrozr
corsair vs 550

That aside, it really doesnt matter if you got PCI-E 2.0 oder 3.0 as long as you got 2.0 @ 16x. I'm running both my 660 (SLI) 3.0 @ 8x which is about the same speed as 2.0 @ 16x and they work just fine.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

AMD GPU's are PCI-E 3.0 just like Nvidia right now, the CPU's from AMD on the FX line only support PCI-E 2.0 (I think It might have changed since bulldozer) and your processor, the I5 only has PCI-E 2.0 support but it doesn't matter AT ALL for GPU's really, you won't over saturate the PCI-E lane you're using regardless. Go with the GTX 970 and be happy till you need to upgrade your cpu! 

OK thanks for your advice sir!