You can cap Steam download speeds to 25mbps but why

HumbleRumble

i have a fibre connection with over 70mb down speed and my download caps at 4.5mb no matter what time of day and its obvious steam is appling download speed caps so who in the world is reaching over 25mbps =S

is the option there just for show

/Facedesk Just because it says your connection is that doesn't mean your download speeds will be that. I have a 65mb but my downloads cap at around 6mb a second.

The advertised download speed is is Mb/s and Steam downloads are in MB/s. 8Mb = 1MB. So divide advertised speed with 8 and, you should get near realistic download speed. advertised is in megabits and download speed is megabytes.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Steam let's me download at 100mbps just fine.... Are you confusing mb with mB?

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I can download at 7mb a second... make sure you choose a steam server nearest to you.

I download at 150mbps

(so like 18 megabytes per second)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's so confusing when people don't use correct units of measurement.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

The advertised download speed is is Mb/s and Steam downloads are in MB/s. Mb = 8MB. So divide advertised speed with 8 and, you should get near realistic download speed. advertised is in megabits and download speed is megabytes.

8Mb=1MB*

What @Jamdude says. My head hurts trying to read through this topic because people don't know the difference between bits and bytes

I have 180 Mbits/s and actually download at 22MB/s

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

8MB=1Mb*

Correction:

8Mb = 1MB

Small b is bit

Big B is byte

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Correction:

8Mb = 1MB

Small b is bit

Big B is byte

I know, just a mistake. Fixed it before I read your post

I have 180 Mbits/s and actually download at 22MB/s

that sounds about right. but honestly do you ever max out your connection? because i hear all you guys complaining all the time about low speed but 22MB/s seems pretty heavy. i know you didnt complain in a word im just saying genrally i feel like the rest of the forum has a different understanding of low speeds than i do. hopefully this week my hardware will arive. i ordered 100Mb/s so i`ll get about 12 MB/s and i cant even imagine what to use all that bandwith for? so basicly im asking do you ever max out your connection and do you think you really need 22 MB/s?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

yea i know the difference. but even before i upgraded to fibre my connection was probly half of what i have now and my steam download was only like 0.5MBs slower and its always either 4.5MB/s exactly everytime all the time no matter how much load my connection is on. thats why i think some capping is going on

that sounds about right. but honestly do you ever max out your connection? because i hear all you guys complaining all the time about low speed but 22MB/s seems pretty heavy. i know you didnt complain in a word im just saying genrally i feel like the rest of the forum has a different understanding of low speeds than i do. hopefully this week my hardware will arive. i ordered 100Mb/s so i`ll get about 12 MB/s and i cant even imagine what to use all that bandwith for? so basicly im asking do you ever max out your connection and do you think you really need 22 MB/s?

I often max out the connection (3 gaming PC's in one house, 2 brothers ;P)

8Mb=1MB*

What @Jamdude says. My head hurts trying to read through this topic because people don't know the difference between bits and bytes

Correction:

8Mb = 1MB

Small b is bit

Big B is byte

Fixed it :D failures.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

I often max out the connection (3 gaming PC's in one house, 2 brothers ;P)

ohh ok i get that then one would need more but still i lived in a dorm for 4 years and we all had a seperate 16Mb/s (2MB/s) connection and i already felt like it was pretty hard to max out that connection (except for downloading stuff obviously). for gaming and skyping and sometimes youtube at the same time i couldnt even max it out or at least i didnt notice anything at all. so i still have a hard time understanding how the ridiculous speeds people are posting here are still not enough for them

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

ohh ok i get that then one would need more but still i lived in a dorm for 4 years and we all had a seperate 16Mb/s (2MB/s) connection and i already felt like it was pretty hard to max out that connection (except for downloading stuff obviously). for gaming and skyping and sometimes youtube at the same time i couldnt even max it out or at least i didnt notice anything at all. so i still have a hard time understanding how the ridiculous speeds people are posting here are still not enough for them

To be fair its never gonna be enough. even being able to stream youtube in 4K i want a faster connection

To be fair its never gonna be enough. even being able to stream youtube in 4K i want a faster connection

see that i dont get you people need to calm down and gain some perspective and maybe just maybe be happy with what you have... at least for a while

The advertised download speed is is Mb/s and Steam downloads are in MB/s. 8Mb = 1MB. So divide advertised speed with 8 and, you should get near realistic download speed. advertised is in megabits and download speed is megabytes.

Steam let's me download at 100mbps just fine.... Are you confusing mb with mB?

I was going to point this oust also. My max connection is 100Mbps directly connected and I believe I get 12MB/s download speed. But on wireless I get about 80Mbps down and I get about 8-10MB/s download speed. If you don't know your correct units of measurement it can be a tad confusing. Thank goodness I do! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

8Mb=1MB*

I do!! I doo!!!

1 bit is 1 logic number. 1 byte is 7 logic numbers! 7 bits... YAY ME!!!

Binary bruh!

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I download at 150mbps

(so like 18 megabytes per second)

Damnit. Then there's me who just got ~10Mbps :( (up from about 4-5mbps)

I do!! I doo!!!

1 bit is 1 logic number. 1 byte is 7 logic numbers! 7 bits... YAY ME!!!

Binary bruh!

It's so confusing when people don't use correct units of measurement.

Or when they mix and match like tech youtubers: Yeah so my card is running at 60c while my room temps are at 70F!

-------

Current Rig

-------