H100i help with an i5 3570k

I just finished my first build a few days ago, I have been experimenting with overlclocking but it seems to be either very difficult (which i don't think it is), or I am just simply doing it wrong. I have an MSI Z77 G45 motherboard. The most stable overclock I can get is 4.0 ghz and it stays at about 85°C at full load. Anything higher (I tried 4.2-4.7 ghz, it either crashed or ran at over 100°C at full load, which I wont run at. I currently don't use an overclock but I hate "wasting" my H100i and the potential of my processor. Any tips on how I can change the overclock settings or voltage settings so it wont run so hot? Ambient tempuratures are cool, I dont have a thermostat but it is winter in oregon, so its pretty cool

What are your temps at stock? Should be in the mid to high 30's I think. 85C at 4.0ghz sounds WAY to high. I would check and make sure your block is attached properly and mounted solid. Maybe remove it and redo the TIM? Also, make sure the fans are spinning properly.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

What are your temps at stock? Should be in the mid to high 30's I think. 85C at 4.0ghz sounds WAY to high. I would check and make sure your block is attached properly and mounted solid. Maybe remove it and redo the TIM? Also, make sure the fans are spinning properly.
Also, are you leaving the voltage at stock? To even get to 4.4 or 4.5 you only need to really play with the mutipliers... Increasing voltage really ramps up the heat.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

How have you got your case setup for airflow and what fans are you using for your H100i?

Also, where are you in the world and what are your ambient temperatures You'll see varying results on a processor with an identical cooling solution because someone might be in a hot dry climate whereas another may be in a colder climate.

Everything at stock idles at around 35°C

Fans are good, the mounting may be a bit off, but i figured if it was not mounted correctly it simply wouldnt work at all, How can I make sure that it is mounted the way it should be, it is mounted tight and wont move.

your overclock is not good...

what VCORE voltage? what RAM? i wouldn't expect a 4.5/4.6 from the GD45

as the power phase isn't there to regulate tight specifications.

but it should do a 4.2/4.3 easy enough.

go back to stock voltage.

increase multiplier to 4.0, load with whatever you are using and note what the core

voltage is and what the core tmeps are.. what softie are you using for monitoring?

what load softie and parimeters?

airdeano

I found out the problem, It was not mounted correctly, now that I fixed it, It gets to a max of 65°C on a full load at 4.6 ghz. Beast water cooler when installed correctly. >.

Was thinking of getting a h100i but im worried about disrupting the airflow in my case (cm storm trooper) i currently have a 200mm fan on the top mount of the case which pushes air out of the case, i was worried that if i put in a h100i and remove the 200mm fan that id gain a quieter cpu overclock (3570k 4.4ghz) but i would also cause a higher gpu temp and overall the system temperature may increase, so would i be better sticking with my current setup or replacing the 200mm fan with the h100i?

increase multiplier to 4.0, load with whatever you are using and note what the core

voltage is and what the core tmeps are.. what softie are you using for monitoring?

airdeano

Power phases are important to a certain point but anything above 6 power phases is relevant only in Sub-Zero conditions.

Was thinking of getting a h100i but im worried about disrupting the airflow in my case (cm storm trooper) i currently have a 200mm fan on the top mount of the case which pushes air out of the case, i was worried that if i put in a h100i and remove the 200mm fan that id gain a quieter cpu overclock (3570k 4.4ghz) but i would also cause a higher gpu temp and overall the system temperature may increase, so would i be better sticking with my current setup or replacing the 200mm fan with the h100i?
2x120mm=240mm, you'll be fine dude :p

Also, try creating your own thread next next time.

EDIT: I've just reread what you posted, you do realise the H100i requires fans?

The h100i has fans included with it doesnt it?

I found out the problem, It was not mounted correctly, now that I fixed it, It gets to a max of 65°C on a full load at 4.6 ghz. Beast water cooler when installed correctly. >.Good to hear :)

Yes, it does. :) Also, just make monitor temps. If you GPU heats up to much, change the front intake and rear exhaust wit some better fans - optimized for airflow. Corsair AF series for instance...

airdeano

we'll agree to disagree that point...

easiest i can explain is throttle control in finer degrees of adjustment. difference

in an overclock from 4.4 to say 4.8 using same branding board, but more phase control

using the same CPU.

airdeano

Good that you fixed it.....at first glance i was startled .

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

glad it worked out i want the h100i to overclock my 2500k good thing it wasnt the cooler that was wrong also good to hear someone else from Oregon on here

Next time take some photos of the mounting! Someone might have seen right away that something was amiss :)