Elevator into space: Japanese firm determined to proceed with bold engineering project

Ethnod

-snip-

Yes, we need a shuttle, but we don't really have the technology for powering rockets that's sustainable.

I remember reading about some people developing plasma powered rockets, but that's pretty far away too.

Basically everything comes down to: we need more electricity and amazing batteries.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yes, we need a shuttle, but we don't really have the technology for powering rockets that's sustainable.

I remember reading about some people developing plasma powered rockets, but that's pretty far away too.

Basically everything comes down to: we need more electricity and amazing batteries.

Yeah if we could have an electric shuttle then we could easily build a small fleet to fly out goods, parts and people to places like the ISS, and we could build more advanved space stations and satellites helping global communications and monitoring

I am not sure a space elevator is practical, it only goes to one place, and if it were to collapse or fall it would crush cities, it would also cost a bazzilion dollars

EDIT:

also I watch on either V Sauce or Veritasium that even carbon nano tubes eventually if you want to create them that long you have to make them very thick

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah if we could have an electric shuttle then we could easily build a small fleet to fly out goods, parts and people to places like the ISS, and we could build more advanved space stations and satellites helping global communications and monitoring

I am not sure a space elevator is practical, it only goes to one place, and if it were to collapse or fall it would crush cities, it would also cost a bazzilion dollars

Plasma is not fully electric, it uses superheated gas for propulsion, but there is A TON of gas around. In our universe you can't go forward without releasing something out back.

Heh, it wouldn't crush cities, space is not that high up bro.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

With a solar array attached to the end in space which could be made bigger over time having access to 24/7/365 unadulterated sunlight i don't think power will be a problem.

The gains will outweigh the costs and the risks.

Plasma is not fully electric, it uses superheated gas for propulsion, but there is A TON of gas around. In our universe you can't go forward without releasing something out back.

Heh, it wouldn't crush cities, space is not that high up bro.

Depends how high they intend to go... its pretty high at 62 miles, it would weigh an awful lot too, if it is that strong it could fall in a way that it doesnt crumble like a building and instead slams down into the ground

With a solar array attached to the end in space which could be made bigger over time having access to 24/7/365 unadulterated sunlight i don't think power will be a problem.

I am on the fence

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Oh solar compared to fusion is like nothing...

Depends how high they intend to go... its pretty high at 62 miles, it would weigh an awful lot too, if it is that strong it could fall in a way that it doesnt crumble like a building and instead slams down into the ground

At some point up the cable, the two terms (downward gravity and upward centrifugal force) equal each other; objects fixed to the cable there have no weight on the cable. This occurs at the level of the stationary orbit. This level (r1) depends on the mass of the planet and its rotation rate. Setting actual gravity and centrifugal acceleration equal to each other gives:

1809cddfd42bf82b8d69a21d8fe836f1.png

On Earth, this level is 35,786 km (22,236 mi) above the surface, the level of geostationary orbit.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Spoiler

SNIP

Hmm, I guess we shall see

Oh solar compared to fusion is like nothing...

and that will come as soon as we can start getting closer to things like stars to better study them.

Honestly, it's so simple it's mind blowing. Put more mass at the far end, vs the entire weight of the cable, and it'd never collapse. If it broke, the centrifical (sp?) force would hurl it away. Anchor it at sea & no worries for any damage on this side of the break.

As for debris, by the time we build it, we can clean up anything major in orbit. (Send up a nuke powered electro-magnet just below the standard orbit to nudge/pull everything back down.) Using magnetics, smaller space debris can be directed & deflected around the cabling.

Solor arrays would handle any power needs, so it'd operated at a balance or even surplus of energy.

And it does go somewhere - space. It's be used as a staging point for anything going out or coming back in.

Here's another thought. Peter F. Hamilton talks in one of his books about how CONSTANT space travel using traditional rockets & reentry vehicles damages the ecosystem. Think about all the heat generated each time a vehicle rockets into space and burns it's way back to land. Where does all that heat energy go? It gets absorbed by the atmosphere. Now imaging a global space civilization doing that. That's insane amounts of heat energy that's generated needlessly. A space elevator negates all of that.

Simply, aside from the initial investment, and a little maintenance (imagine the jobs this would produce), a space elavator is nothing but pure win. Humanity needs to push on and this is a great place to start. Even James Cameron has expressed interest in mining asteroids for their mineral content. Rare minerals are only rare on Earth - space has them in abundance. Need fuel? The gas planets have more fuel than humanity could use for hundreds of generations.

Space is mankinds future & the sooner we get there the better off we'll all be. (And everyone needs to read more Sci-fi. This has been known since the '50s.)

*Snip*

I'm in work so cant get into it too much, been online here too long already lol, but look into the physics. They believe that due to the gravity effect its quite feasible, possibly even with some sort of metal allow never mind carbon nano-tubes.

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I'm in work so cant get into it too much, been online here too long already lol, but look into the physics. They believe that due to the gravity effect its quite feasible, possibly even with some sort of metal allow never mind carbon nano-tubes.

I admit its pretty interesting, and I never claimed it was impossible, just very difficult and expensive

and that will come as soon as we can start getting closer to things like stars to better study them.

Read up on ITER. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

It's actually closer than you think.

Spoiler

lol Space?

Space isn't even real!

*troll comment*

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Gundam 00 is happening!!

This can be a potential start of non-atmospheric solar farming... Imagine the amount of power you can harvest by deploying huge numbers of solar panels around that thing...

MY EXACT THOUGHT

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

MY EXACT THOUGHT

They better build three of them plus the geosynchronous solar-panel ring...

It can also serve as a staging area for asteroid mining and extra-terrestrial construction...

(Moon base, Mars terraforming, exploration, etc.)

I admit its pretty interesting, and I never claimed it was impossible, just very difficult and expensive

Everything that has to do with space travel is difficult and expensive but the benefits would be literally world changing.

RTX2070OC