eBay redirect attack puts buyers' credentials at risk (UPDATED Again!)

Ethnod

UPDATE & TLDR:

"A flaw that has exposed eBay customers to malicious websites has been affecting the site since at least February, the BBC has found."

Or, just dont use Ebay anymore  :unsure:

Long story:

Ebay have been aware of this in some shape or form since February when they were advised of this security issue.

_77643219_bc370825-3667-4f49-99b7-09366c

An impressively advanced attack on Ebay resulted in at least 2 listings being compromised. If you clicked on the listing you were brought to an Ebay Welcome screen asking you to log back in again, it was here that they tried to get your credentials. Man, not that I use Ebay that much any more but I do from time to time, going to have to be more careful.

_77646651_86b9f710-3aa8-4c3c-8025-645d97

Seems that Ebay were alerted on Wednesday but the compromised listings were not closed for a further 12 hours after receiving a query/notification from the BBC that the listing were still live. And we are talking about the known ones, how many were actually compromised? How many more were compromised? Are there still any up? Has this happened before?

To be honest this seems like the kind of hack that even I might fall for, I use ebay.co.uk and Ebay.ie and they are for ever getting confused and logging me in and out, plus they seems to be separate entities for some reason as while my credentials are the same the information I have access to is not always :/

Time to change passwords... again :D

Update portion

Readers of the BBC have contacted them and the BBC conducted a further investigation and found that Ebay users had actually tried to warn Ebay about this issue before, more specifically the BBC found that:

• Innocent user accounts were hijacked in order to place the fake listings. Many of the accounts had 100% positive feedback, and had sold hundreds of items.
  • One victim who had his account hijacked told the BBC he was locked out of his account - and later billed "around £35" by eBay to cover seller's fees for items he had not auctioned.
  • When customers clicked on a listing that had been compromised, they were brought to a sophisticated, official-looking site that asked victims to log in and share bank account details.
  • The types of items used to target victims ranged from smartphones and televisions to hot tubs and clothing.

Seems Ebay has acknowledged that the use of Javascript and Flash on its pages, an attempt for sellers to promote their own pages and make them look more appealing, has “significantly raised the likelihood that malicious code could be included within the site's pages - due to a hacking technique known as cross-site scripting (XSS)”

James Lyne from Sophos stated that "The summary is that it is exceptionally dodgy and redirecting the user to a nasty web page with some really suspect scripts," also saying "At present we can't get our hands on the end payload, so can't be sure of the attackers complete motive, but it is clear there are still nasty malicious redirects on the eBay site."

To make things worse it seems that while the BBC has discovered evidence that the breach has been going on since February, there are some security experts saying that its being going on for more than a year. I just cannot get over how baffling this is. Ebay was supposed to be secure and even if it was not for a time, I mean nothing is 100% secure, but its been going on for more than a year D: Come on Ebay ffs, get your shit together.

Turns out that there are a number of security professionals just waiting to mount criticism against ebay and their security precedues.

Mikko Hypponen, from "It's not OK for eBay to have cross-site scripting vulnerabilities on its website… If they can't make it work without the risk of exposing users to cross-site scripting, they shouldn't allow it."

Even after reportedly being contacted by users who’s accounts had been compromised, being advised that they did not place the adds they were still doing very little (escalating case with no further action to come later) yet still looking for users to pay for items that they never sold.

Personally I wont be using Ebay again for some time, it will need a massive over-hall, remove any scripts and to have a major security firm confirm that they are again secure for users to go back before I will even consider it. Plus I tend to use Amazon now so I can use the Linus MG affiliate code so I think this might be the end of me and Ebay. I will also be contacting friends and family and ensuring that they do not use Ebay for the foreseeable future.

So, is this the death of Ebay?

Original Source: (some how I forgot to include this last time)

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29241563 

Updated Source:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29279213

Updated 2 Source:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29310042

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

wow

any detailed information on the attack ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Video of the alleged scam

Pretty devious

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

I probably would have fallen for that.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Good thing I haven't bought anything from eBay recently.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Good thing I haven't bought anything from eBay recently.

Same here. Not going to for a while now.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"A transcript from February this year showed user Paul Castle explaining the issue, in detail, to eBay support staff."

FUCK!!

I'm pretty sure I have used ebay since Feb and its quite possible I would have fallen for this :/ ... time for mass password changes, review of all Paypal and bank payment over the last 9 months ... there goes my Friday night

Source:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29279213

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Good thing I haven't use ebay for a while and change my password already so, I should be good, "Should".

I've thoroughly checked my accounts and can't find anything usual. Phew!!  

Updated article from BBC
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29310042

Readers of the BBC have contacted them and the BBC conducted a further investigation and found that Ebay users had actually tried to warn Ebay about this issue before, more specifically the BBC found that:

Innocent user accounts were hijacked in order to place the fake listings. Many of the accounts had 100% positive feedback, and had sold hundreds of items.

One victim who had his account hijacked told the BBC he was locked out of his account - and later billed "around £35" by eBay to cover seller's fees for items he had not auctioned.

When customers clicked on a listing that had been compromised, they were brought to a sophisticated, official-looking site that asked victims to log in and share bank account details.

The types of items used to target victims ranged from smartphones and televisions to hot tubs and clothing.

Seems Ebay has acknowledged that the use of Javascript and Flash on its pages, an attempt for sellers to promote their own pages and make them look more appealing, has “significantly raised the likelihood that malicious code could be included within the site's pages - due to a hacking technique known as cross-site scripting (XSS)”

James Lyne from Sophos stated that "The summary is that it is exceptionally dodgy and redirecting the user to a nasty web page with some really suspect scripts," also saying "At present we can't get our hands on the end payload, so can't be sure of the attackers complete motive, but it is clear there are still nasty malicious redirects on the eBay site."

To make things worse it seems that while the BBC has discovered evidence that the breach has been going on since February, there are some security experts saying that its being going on for more than a year. I just cannot get over how baffling this is. Ebay was supposed to be secure and even if it was not for a time, I mean nothing is 100% secure, but its been going on for more than a year D: Come on Ebay ffs, get your shit together.

Turns out that there are a number of security professionals just waiting to mount criticism against ebay and their security precedues.

Mikko Hypponen, from "It's not OK for eBay to have cross-site scripting vulnerabilities on its website… If they can't make it work without the risk of exposing users to cross-site scripting, they shouldn't allow it."

Even after reportedly being contacted by users who’s accounts had been compromised, being advised that they did not place the adds they were still doing very little (escalating case with no further action to come later) yet still looking for users to pay for items that they never sold.

Personally I wont be using Ebay again for some time, it will need a massive over-hall, remove any scripts and to have a major security firm confirm that they are again secure for users to go back before I will even consider it. Plus I tend to use Amazon now so I can use the Linus MG affiliate code so I think this might be the end of me and Ebay. I will also be contacting friends and family and ensuring that they do not use Ebay for the foreseeable future.

So, is this the death of Ebay?