Is cleaning thermal copound a must?

Go to solution Solved by bradscoolio,

If it's temporary and you don't have any methylated spirits, acetone (essentially nail polish remover), or isopropyl alcohol then you go ahead and just wipe it off with a paper towel to get the bulk off then use a microfiber cloth to get it out of micro-scratches :P Your temps will be fine in the mean time, just relinquish all cpu overclocks ;)

I have a problem with my H100i and I need to send it back and use the stock air cooler in the meantime. Is it vital I clean off the thermal compound with alcohol? or can I just use a cloth. This will only be in place for 2 - 3 weeks.

"Mentally Unstable Like a Fox!"

I just use a paper towel. It's not essential to use alcohol. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have a problem with my H100i and I need to send it back and use the stock air cooler in the meantime. Is it vital I clean off the thermal compound with alcohol? or can I just use a cloth. This will only be in place for 2 - 3 weeks.

I would recommend you use a lint free cloth and rubbing alcohol to clean your cpu in order to ensure that your cpu gets good contact with the heatsink. if you are overclocked, turn it back to stock speeds to avoid overheating your cpu. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

No it isn't a must but I wouldn't run your cpu with OC settings because you will have shitty temps. You are going to want to clean with properly when reinstalling the h100i though

If it's temporary and you don't have any methylated spirits, acetone (essentially nail polish remover), or isopropyl alcohol then you go ahead and just wipe it off with a paper towel to get the bulk off then use a microfiber cloth to get it out of micro-scratches :P Your temps will be fine in the mean time, just relinquish all cpu overclocks ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |