Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ssoele

Network layout showoff

I just got a L300 by NComputing, I haven't set it up yet, so I am not entirely sure, I believe it just means I have to install a software package on the VM itself.  The price was good so I picked it up.

On 9/30/2016 at 1:46 AM, brwainer said:

What thin client are you using? Every result I've found for Vcenter shows it was something from back in the ESXi 3 days

I just picked up a NComputing L300 for $40USD, I haven't actually set it up, from what I understand all that it requires is installing a client program on the VM itself.

On 07/09/2016 at 9:58 AM, Teshy09 said:

so are these virtualised labs using gns3 / or has anyone purchased the equipment and deployed physically ?

They're all meant to be environments that users are running at home.

I should also probably get around to posting mine once it's completed xD

This is it, finally got around to making one of these thanks to it being a requirement for my networking class. We are currently thinking of building a NAS out of old computer parts and new HDD to add to our massive home network.

My Home Network 2016.10.3.gif

So this is my home network. Not best, I only did it because I was extremely sick of consumer hardware. Although, that's another story.

Basically the network cable comes in from Telstra, Which from who I buy a 100/2mbit connection. I only really get about 40/0.8mbit. Its better than ADSL here though.

Then It goes in to the Telstra provided router. Then into my new Edgerouter POE. From there it's going into my home network wireless, and my 24 port EdgeSwitch.

I also have 2 Synology NAS's. One at my house and the backup at the neighbours. The EdgeSwitch also connects to about 10 computers. The router also connects to a backbone ubiquiti dish link (Linus showed it here). I have a receiver on the other side as well as a another consumer grade router, of which the owner of the second house chose. I also provided them a Ubnt UAP-AC-LR, which I manage from a PC In my rack which runs UBNT Controller.

Future Plans:

• Run a wired cable from my house to the neighbours.
  • Include them home phone.

Notes

• The neighbours are family relatives and don't pay.
  • There QOSed to 5mbit/0.1mbit

Thanks for any suggestions. This was all done on a budget.

Note: I put in a rackmount NAS on accident. (I Actually have 2 DS412+'s), One in the current spot and one backup connected to the receiver at the neighbours house for backups.

Capture.PNG

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 0:42 PM, TheRoss0411 said:

I can't even bridge my two routers

My Virgin Media Superhub has absolutely pants WiFi...took me a good 15mins to get the damn thing to recognise a second router to handle WiFi with the Superhubs radio turned off.

And, I've done it before. Unfortunately, networking usually decides to do whatever the hell it wants and only rewards persistence. If you think it will work straight off...you're gonna have a bad time mkay 😁

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

1 hour ago, dr_sepheroth said:

Now all we need is a network diagram of an ISP internal network setup and we will all be home free, till next term, studying.

Complex stuff....

Don't even need an ISP internal network setup diagram for complex. Just a good size enterprise company should do the trick. Heck, for a testbed we have setup in our lab if you take a basic Vizio diagram size, with about 35 devices in the standard block. Imagine that multiplied by 30.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, dr_sepheroth said:

Now all we need is a network diagram of an ISP internal network setup and we will all be home free, till next term, studying.

Complex stuff....

The rules from the first post say you shouldn't post your work networks. But a standard ISP network is going to be pretty bland - a CMTS or DSLAM for connections to residents, this connected by fiber or coax (even DSL uses coax for backhauls, or did before fiber) to routers (true routers, as in devices that only route). And that's everything if you are talking about what it takes to get people to the internet.

Things can get more complex when you talk about MPLS or MetroE products, because then you typically start talking about routing tags (as in, the route through the network is decided at the edge, not at each riuter) and extra VLAN tags to seperate customers.

A WISP network would be interesting to see for me, because they typically have lots of PtMP APs with various methods of connecting them together, like PtP wireless, and every type of wired connection imaginable.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

7 minutes ago, dr_sepheroth said:

I may be a computer geek but I know when I have been out done/ what is;

• MPLS
  • MetroE
  • PtMP
  • WISP
  • CMTS
  • DSLAM 
  • MPLS - Multiprotocal Lable Switching: A label is made for each endpoint, and the path through the network for each label is predetermined and known by all the devices. A bandwidth limit is typically applied for each label as well. Usually each label is only for communication between two endpoints, I'm not sure if that's how the protocol is required to work, or if that's just how it is always used. Data on the network is handled purely by its label, meaning that the data being carried can be any other type of communication. This makes it more flexible and efficient than ethernet switching and IP routing.
  • MetroE - Metro Ethernet: an ethernet network that is across a metro area (a city and some of its surrounding area). This is also called a MAN or Metro Area Network. It can be used to connect seperate offices in a city. Simple implementations just use QinQ VLAN tagging to seperate customers. 
  • PtMP - Point to MultiPoint: basically the same as your home router/ap, which is a single point and talks to multiple client endpoints. But a PtMP typically uses a sector antenna, which is an antenna that only broadcasts in a 30 degree wide direction. Often a WISP will use one of these on a tower or tall building and point it towards multiple customers' houses, if they are all in the same direction.
  • WISP - Wireless ISP: an ISP that connects to their customers using wireless technologies. See the video Linus made about the Ubiquiti product that does wifi over several miles - that was two PtP antennas, but a WISP can use much more complex setups.
  • CMTS - Cable Modem Termination System: The device that talks to all the DOCSIS modems connected in a specific geographic area, like part of a neighborhood. This is where the bandwidth limitations of DOCSIS take place, because the single coax connection between the CMTS and a bunch of modems can only carry a specific amount, which is limited by the DOCSIS version of the CMTS (and if there is a few old modems, they do cause the other modems to slow down because the CMTS has to take more time to talk to the old ones)
  • DSLAM - Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexor: The device that talks to all the DSL modems in a given geographic region. Because there is a dedicated phone line to each customer, the bottleneck is not  the bandwidth to all the customers, but what version of DSL the DSLAM uses, and what its upstream bandwidth to the rest of the ISP's network is. The distance to a specific customer matters much more than with DOCSIS because amplifiers cannot be used, but one customer does not slow down other customers as it does with DOCSIS.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Thank you very much this helps me quite a bit with another issue I have been having for a few years. I think I just worked out why my ISP cuts out once a month.

At least once a month we have very stormy weather (including lightning and thunder) that would set up a signal block in the atmosphere between a PtMP network.

s1v8158k93001l1q2w90.png

This is my network. The items in red are planned, I just don't know if they will work. The idea is to have my pc, and only my pc, be able to access the cameras, while still having access to the main network. 

20 minutes ago, Kovi said:

This is my network. The items in red are planned, I just don't know if they will work. The idea is to have my pc, and only my pc, be able to access the cameras, while still having access to the main network. 

You'd want to look at VLAN tagging specific ports in that case. Have the cameras as well as your PC with untagged VLAN traffic meaning they are segregated from the rest of the network. Note you'll need a smart/managed switch that supports VLAN tagging.

On 11/27/2016 at 5:10 PM, Windspeed36 said:

You'd want to look at VLAN tagging specific ports in that case. Have the cameras as well as your PC with untagged VLAN traffic meaning they are segregated from the rest of the network. Note you'll need a smart/managed switch that supports VLAN tagging.

Is it possible to have a single VLAN supporting NIC connect to two VLAN networks at once?  Such as a private VLAN network with no internet (for cameras) and a second VLAN network for internet and other devices?

This will sound a little bit silly but im planning on making a cabinet for my networking stuff and i need advice on how much airflow it will need. Networking stuff:

Spoiler

Netegear fvs336g

TP-Link TL-SG3216

NSA325

NAS540

Arris modem

On 12/12/2016 at 7:15 AM, jagdtigger said:

This will sound a little bit silly but im planning on making a cabinet for my networking stuff and i need advice on how much airflow it will need. Networking stuff:

Hide contents

Netegear fvs336g

TP-Link TL-SG3216

NSA325

NAS540

Arris modem

You might want to consider making this its own topic.  But regardless, here is my opinion:  With the higher end switches and two NAS units going in the cabinet, you'll probably need active cooling (a fan).  There are a lot of pre-made cabinet fans to choose from.  Here are a couple things to consider: 

1. Get one with an AC (wall) plug on it, so you don't have to power it off of a USB port on one of you NAS units.  (But a USB one would still work). 
  2. Get one with some kind of speed control.  You can adjust it to find the right balance between noise and heat. 
  3. Get one with fan grills on it to give the fans some protection against wires and other foreign objects.

Here is an example:  http://a.co/9SmMOlh  This exact unit would not work for you in Hungary because of the plug type and voltage.  However, it gives you an example to go off of. 

A cheaper (do it yourself) alternative:  You can get an old computer fan and attach an old USB plug to it.  Then buy a fan grill and screw it all to the side of the case (after cutting a hole).  

1 hour ago, Zoravar said:

You might want to consider making this its own topic.  But regardless, here is my opinion:  With the higher end switches and two NAS units going in the cabinet, you'll probably need active cooling (a fan).  There are a lot of pre-made cabinet fans to choose from.  Here are a couple things to consider: 

1. Get one with an AC (wall) plug on it, so you don't have to power it off of a USB port on one of you NAS units.  (But a USB one would still work). 
  2. Get one with some kind of speed control.  You can adjust it to find the right balance between noise and heat. 
  3. Get one with fan grills on it to give the fans some protection against wires and other foreign objects.

Here is an example:  http://a.co/9SmMOlh  This exact unit would not work for you in Hungary because of the plug type and voltage.  However, it gives you an example to go off of. 

A cheaper (do it yourself) alternative:  You can get an old computer fan and attach an old USB plug to it.  Then buy a fan grill and screw it all to the side of the case (after cutting a hole).  

I already solved the PSU problem(link its maybe a little bit overkill but better to be safe than sorry :D ), i just do not know how much airflow is needed. Im planning on using 140mm high static pressure fans(with dust filters on the intake fans).

This is my current one after the upgrade i will be doing soon, it's a lan network so no internet :P

Capture.PNG

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Frontier Server ---
i7 3770 | Asus P8H77M-Pro | 32GB (4x8) DDR3 Ram | No GPU

1 Seagate Constellation ES.3 3TB + 1 Western Digital RE4 3TB | Host: Hetzner Datacentre Park, Falkenstein

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5"  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- "Yet to be named" Server ---

2x Intel Xeon x5650 | Dell Poweredge R410 | 16GB ECC DDR3 | Matrox G200

Drives TBD  | OS TBD (Probably EXSi)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Huawei Honor 10 Phantom Blue

A little bit of information about the network:

1) Router #1 is the main router in the house that manages all wirelessly connected devices and is the only wifi network in the house. This router was ISP provided to work the full uplink/downlink of the AT&T 1Gb/s fiber connection, so as much as Router/Modem combos make me cringe, there was nothing I could do about it.

2) Router #2 is depicted outside the rack, but that was a mistake on my part. It is above the firewall on the rack and is hardwired to the control laptop (Not wireless as depicted in the topology).

3) Don't even ask about the rack. How internet moves in the rack is that Router #1 connects to Router #2 which then connects to the firewall. The firewall then sends one CAT 6 to each of the two switches. Each device in the rack has an equal number of cords going to each switch. This allows for both a redundant local network in the rack and also allows for the switches to alternate to allow the maximum throughput. The smart switching is done through a custom flashed os that I built at Stanford over the summer.

So that's my network, I wish I could have spent more time making the drawing more detailed, but my patience was running thin with the lines not being straight and level.

--

Carson

file-page1.jpg

Is there any way to accommodate for very different topologies on different layers? My home network contains a managed switch trunk and the mixed use of 802.3ad LACP link aggregation, 802.1Q VLAN and PPPoEoV gave me very different topologies on physical and data link layers.

Every machine also have a FQDN under a domain name I bought for my home network, and runs a dual IPv4/IPv6 stack with corresponding addresses.

Workstation 1: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 4x Kingston KVR 8GB DDR3-1600 ~ Gigabyte GA-Z97D-D3 ~ Sapphire RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ WD Green 2TB ~ macOS Mojave amd64
Workstation 2: 2x Xeon E5-2680 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16C/2L ~ XFX RX 480 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Windows 10 Pro Workstation amd64

Workstation 3: Core 2 Quad Q9300 ~ 4x mixed-brand 2GB DDR2-800 ~ Colorful C.P45K ~ Zotac GTX 650 Ti ~ Kingston V300 120GB ~ Samsung SpinPoint 1TB ~ Windows 10 Pro amd64
Home server: Core 2 Quad Q9550S ~ 4x Micron 2GB DDR2-800 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P5BV-C ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Unbranded SATA SSD 120GB ~ 6x WD Green 2TB ~ 2x WD Red 2TB ~ Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS amd64
Laptop 1: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro8,1 ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 2x Samsung 4GB DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB ~ macOS High Sierra amd64
Laptop 3: Dell Latitude D620 ~ Core 2 Duo T7600 ~ Kingston 2GB DDR2-800 SO-DIMM ~ Kingston 1GB DDR2-800 SO-DIMM ~ Intel 945PM ~ nVidia Quadro NVS 110M ~ Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB ~ Windows 10 Pro amd64

3 minutes ago, maxtch said:

Is there any way to accommodate for very different topologies on different layers? My home network contains a managed switch trunk and the mixed use of 802.3ad LACP link aggregation, 802.1Q VLAN and PPPoEoV gave me very different topologies on physical and data link layers.

Vizio can do multiple layers, you just toggle them on and off.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: