Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ssoele

Network layout showoff

Here is the physical layout of my home network.

post-233678-0-79519400-1446228851_thumb.

The NASter machine is a scrapyard build running Ubuntu Server, functioning as a router/NAS/managed switch combo. The P5BV-C mobo have all its PCI slots populated with NICs, a 6TB spinning platters storage and a 60GB SSD cache.

The Battlebird machine is my E3-1231v3 based workstation.

The Battleship machine is my dual E5-2620v2 based ex-server now used as a computational power reserve (that is, fired up only when needed.) I am still having no idea how should I fully utilize its 128GB of ECC DDR3-1600 RAM as I no longer run VMs on it.

The Bluebird is my daily driver laptop computer, an Ivy Bridge MacBook Pro.

The Ladybird machine is my mom's laptop, a Sandy Bridge MacBook Pro.

Workstation 1: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 4x Kingston KVR 8GB DDR3-1600 ~ Gigabyte GA-Z97D-D3 ~ Sapphire RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ WD Green 2TB ~ macOS Mojave amd64
Workstation 2: 2x Xeon E5-2680 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16C/2L ~ XFX RX 480 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Windows 10 Pro Workstation amd64

Workstation 3: Core 2 Quad Q9300 ~ 4x mixed-brand 2GB DDR2-800 ~ Colorful C.P45K ~ Zotac GTX 650 Ti ~ Kingston V300 120GB ~ Samsung SpinPoint 1TB ~ Windows 10 Pro amd64
Home server: Core 2 Quad Q9550S ~ 4x Micron 2GB DDR2-800 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P5BV-C ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Unbranded SATA SSD 120GB ~ 6x WD Green 2TB ~ 2x WD Red 2TB ~ Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS amd64
Laptop 1: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro8,1 ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 2x Samsung 4GB DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB ~ macOS High Sierra amd64
Laptop 3: Dell Latitude D620 ~ Core 2 Duo T7600 ~ Kingston 2GB DDR2-800 SO-DIMM ~ Kingston 1GB DDR2-800 SO-DIMM ~ Intel 945PM ~ nVidia Quadro NVS 110M ~ Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB ~ Windows 10 Pro amd64

Metro-E? Must be serious business needing all that bandwidth.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I'm a student getting ready to up sticks to University, but I do what I can :D.

I am running on a BT Infinity line, on a pretty weak BT Home Hub 5. Most of the network is ran from my bedroom, so my switch -a HP 2610 Gigabit 48 Port generously donated by my school- connects to the HH5 by a powerline adapter, who's speed I have forgotten. Connected to the switch is my PC, my Xbox (hardly used now I have finally joined the PCMR) and my Server. My Server is a HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 with the G1610T Processor. It runs FreeNAS 9.3, and has 2 zdevs (One System Volume "SysVol" for the plugins, and one for storage "STORAGE" (RAID 0 Equiv.)) SysVol hosts no shares, whilst STORAGE has 2 datasets, with 1 share a piece, one for general storage, the other for file history images. Everything else is dealt with by the inbuilt WiFi on the HH5, which isn't awfully bad, just not jawdropping either...

post-253180-0-96585100-1446321384.png

Would I improve if I had the chance? Hell yes, there's so much more I want to do, including using a pfSense firewall and router solution, as well as using a more robust AP. But I need to be realistic; I'm moving to Student digs in 8 months, so a permanent solution really isn't worth setting up, and I'm not the wealthiest guy in the world (but I did manage to bag a part time job at my school as a Junior Network Tech ;) ). Another issue is the BT HomeHub is an abosulte A*se to work with. We would change it, but there's better things to spend money on... This set up has helped me learn networking fundamentals, and has helped me explore production environments, an area I will be studying at university.

Commas are great, they really are!

Some of my parts on PC Part Picker are wrong! There's a supprising ammount of value components and cases they don't include.

Why a RADIUS Server? Just curious.

Not the person you quoted, but I can list a few reasons someone might want an radius server:

• Fancy 802.1x Enterprise Wireless Encryption and credentials
  • Network domain login across all your PCs
  • VPN, subnet, web server access with varying security realms and permissions 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I Posted about 2 months ago and I have completely rebuilt my network. I learned a lot about networking, and now feel like a genius. Here is a diagram of what I'm running now: post-158156-0-14408200-1446673622_thumb.

Hope you enjoy my network, just as much as i had making it.

Thanks, 

Peter

Edit: Forgot to add my wireless printer, oh well.

my humble little network, hoping to get fiber soon and set up some remote servers, also, wireless upgrade is needed (probably UAP-AC-PRO's)

Until not too long ago the TP-Link WDR4300 was the main router, but it was terrible due to a custom firmware for my country,

so now it's only a "dumb AP" and it's running a custom version of openWRT 12.09AA. it's still shit. My house is big and I have enough 802.11ac clients to justify a proper solution.

network_map_public_zps8ulign19.png

My home:
oOjpFqF.png
Solid = Wired
Dashed = Wireless

Lounge Gramofon hooked up to home theatre.
Kitchen Gramofon hooked up to Logitech 2.0 PC speakers.
Use both for multiroom Spotify

Will soon purchase a third Gramofon to extend the Spotify to the study/dining room - I've only recently got an amplifier for the bookcase speakers in there (currently hooked up to the iMac).

Each Gramofon is an access point and extends Mikrotik's SSID for my devices - also hosts the fon hotspot for guest access - auto allows my Facebook friend to access.

NadLNpi.png

Here's my lowly home network.

Just set up my SuperHub2 in Modem Mode for the first time, using it with a DNSMask to my LAN so I can use Deep Packet Inspection.

Fu**ing love Ubiquity Networks products.

Wireless clients not shown because it'd be annoying to add them all.

I had to do a quick mock on one of our customers network, the better I get at this stuff, My boss wants me to do more customers so this will be fun and interesting for comparisons and such.

I need to make it look neater for others to view, but I think it is acceptable :P

I would key in the cables etc.. but maybe I'll do that when we next go up London.

wvAQn1N.png

Laptops all have docking stations on the desk.

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

audioquest diamond cable, i win.

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.4ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 1080 Gigabyte G1 Gaming | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): ASUS VG278HV 1080p 27 inch 144hz 1ms response time, Asus VG248QE 1080p 24-inch 144hz 1ms response time (vertical setup), HP 27 inch 1080p IPS display | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark | Mouse: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700 | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Audioquest Dragonfly Red, Schiit USB Decrapifier, Audioquest Jitterbug | Webcam: Logitech 930e | Speakers: Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200, and ARRIS SURFboard SB6190

I used yED Graph editor but inserted my own pictures of the items because the pictures they had sucked.

post-181294-0-50354100-1448174765_thumb.

- HP Z800 with 2 x Xeon X5672 - 3.2GHz CPUs - 4 core 8 thread each, 48GB of ECC Registered memory, Crucial BX100 250GB SSD, 1TB WD Enterprise HDD, GTX 970 Reference.

- HP EliteBook 8560w with Core i7-2760QM - 2.4 to 3.5GHz - 4 core 8 thread, 32GB DDR3-1333, Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB SSD, 2TB Samsung 2.5 inch HDD, Nvidia Quadro 1000m 2GB

Update coming up.

Just got 2 nuc's in that will function as a ESX HA cluster to run my DC's and my vcenter server.

Also pulled some OM3 fiber to my room and ordered a mikrotik CRS210-8G-2S+IN so that I can have a 10g link to my room and workstation.

The switch and transceivers should arrive tomorrow.

Untitled.png

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Update coming up.

Just got 2 nuc's in that will function as a ESX HA cluster to run my DC's and my vcenter server.

Also pulled some OM3 fiber to my room and ordered a mikrotik CRS210-8G-2S+IN so that I can have a 10g link to my room and workstation.

The switch and transceivers should arrive tomorrow.

Loving that EdgeRouter :D

Here is a rough layout of the network here. Not exactly fancy and no redundancy to speak of but it works.

The Modem/Access point and the second access point are both Asus DSL-N55U models usind WDS to provide a 2.4GHz network which covers the whole house. It is far from perfect but it does what it needs to do. I Haven't the money to go investing in dedicated APs as much as I would like to. The main AP/Modem is in the hall and the other is in the conserveratory come greenhouse come lean to come I don't know what. It is wired from the switch in my bedroom for the time being.

Even though network transfers rarely happen I went gigabit a while ago as I was told to expect FTTH availability and although that was some time ago it does make using the NAS a lot easier.

On the wireless network we have the usual iDevices and a smart TV in the lounge. I didn't model the wireless devices as it would get silly. The MacBook Air in my room is wired in as it rarely moves from it's table and the wireless speed up here isn't much to shout about. It varies from device to device but the 360 itself can barely hold the wireless signal hence everything in my room being wired.

Anyway if anyone has any questions let me know..

post-218813-0-73380300-1448294800.jpg

Here is my Network Layout
Made with NMAP for the network layout

post-291406-0-10164800-1449378120.png
192.168.1.1 MODEM FROM ISP GOES TO 192.168.1.9 WHICH IS A SWITCH THAT THEN GOES TO 10.0.0.50 FOR PFSENSE FIREWALL/GATEWAY 10.0.0.1 IS MY WIRELESS AP 10.0.0.40/Windows Server 2012r2 DataCenter Edition FOR DNS AND ACTIVE DIRECTORY FOR CORPORATE NETWORK.
EVERY THING IS SEGMENTED BY VLANS PROXYS AND A CAPTIVE PORTAL WE ALSO PROVIDE LOCAL NETWORK ONLY WEB HOSTING SERVICES FOR CORPORATE FUNCTIONS PXE SERVER ACTIVE DIRECTORY AND HYPER-V.
Any questions feel free to ask.

post-291406-0-10164800-1449378120.png

Not the best network setup, but works with what I have. In the future, I look to upgrade everything to wired once I have to go ahead to drill holes in the building. I also look to upgrade my wiring to a minimum of CAT6.

post-294827-0-64366400-1450517646_thumb.

EDIT:

I have modified my layout to now include LACP NAS server redundancy. This idea was taken from Linus from his video https://youtu.be/GHKRcSYPwPE?t=2m4s. I had a second NIC sitting in there doing nothing and now it is being used. :) Thanks Linus for providing a graphic. The LACP was implemented and tested. Works great. I need this for when I go to Japan so that I don't have any downtime.

post-294827-0-52950200-1450808980.jpg

The image was quite large so I made it into a spoiler.. Hope it works. :/

The network latency is identical across all 3 Access points whether it's wifi or direct connection (I'm including Main Router) 18-20 Ping with zero packet loss. 

I have charter spectrum internet and love it. Rarely have issues or outages (after I bought my own modem).. And when I do it's usually something I did.. xD

The Ones with multi channels are 2.4Ghz and 5G wifi channels.

I used cat6 standard rj45 connectors on everything except the one between the modem to main router. I used a crossover cable for that as a patch cable seemed to have given it a higher latency between 25 - 33...

Thinking about adding a PFsense firewall... But Merlin is running a custom/modded firewall I whipped up + DD-wrt Access point is also running a modded version of DD-wrt firewall... And that netgear crappy one is disabled for firewall cuss uhh; yeah just cuss....

The phone line is running the old standard 4 strand copper line I forget what that stuff is called...

We also have 7? TV's in our home but I really didn't want to map out the Coax lines and all cable boxes/splitters...

http://www.pingtest.net/result/136731528.png       <(Update Added Ping test)

Ok so it goes like this; 

(Modem)

|

(Asus router running Merlin firmware)

Port 1- Windows XP computer

Port 2        | --- Goes directly to the garage connects to a netgear router running DD-wrt (firmware) And then thier is a 15 port networking HUB connected to that router.

Port3   |---- Goes directly to the back side of the house connecting to a 5 Port networking HUB for consoles and a windows vista PC. There's also a netgear router connected to that HUB.

Port 4        |-----------The last port on the main router connects directly to my windows 10 PC. 

The asus router has gig ports and the modem/my PC are the only 2 devices that support that link speed. Everything else only supports 100MB connections. Except the netgear router that's in with the consoles only gets about 55MB over wifi because well it's just a crappy router with a dinky antenna and other devices may or may not be eating up the bandwidth in that particular section of the house..

Hopefully that clears up any misunderstandings.. 

Well I guess technically it's a switch. But i'm just used to calling them both networking hub's; maybe it's because a true HUB is really only used for special circumstances these days. I mean yeah true hub's were cheaper than switches back in the day, but with switches being so cheap now there's really no point in not getting a switch. Like I said unless you really need a HUB for special circumstances..

Well I guess technically it's a switch. But i'm just used to calling them both networking hub's; maybe it's because a true HUB is really only used for special circumstances these days. I mean yeah true hub's were cheaper than switches back in the day, but with switches being so cheap now there's really no point in not getting a switch. Like I said unless you really need a HUB for special circumstances..

No-one needs a hub :) Normally you can't even buy them anymore.