RAM=???!!!!????

TimDK

Hey guys

i am going to pick up some new RAM modules for my pc. and i am really frustrated for wich i should go for.

i am having this blue with some black in, theme going on so i would love if the modules could be blue

atm. i am look at some corsairs dominator platinum 32 GB 1866 cl9 but my question is now is it the extra $ worth going for the 32 Gb 2133 mhz cl10 kit ?

i mean there is a 100 USD in difference. is that really worth it ?

i am going to use the computer for some GAMING :D and some school software CAD's like Revit 2013 and what newer version there will come while i am going to study the next 6 years.

My setup atm:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 - V Deluxe

GPU: Asus GTX 670 DUII (4GB version)

CPU: i7 3770k

CPU Cooler: H100i (so there is plenty of space for any modules)

PSU: CM Silent 1000w ( going to get Corsair AX860i very soon but i am in doubt if i should go for an AX1200i, because then the fan shouldnt go spin and make noice at all with my setup here ?)

Case: CM Cosmos II

32GB isn't necessary. You say you will be running CAD, if you will use it alot, then 16GB wouldn't be a bad bet, you most likely wouldn't use all of it, but I feel 8GB might be a little low. Corsair Vengence comes in blue and would be nice aswell. What's your RIG ( just need CPU, Motherboard mainly )?

You won't notice any difference from 1600 to 2133. The only difference is in benchmarks. Save the money, buy some Corsair Vengeance kit, in whatever color you want...

The AX860i is plenty for your setup, even for future SLI. The fan won't spin unless you're really stressing your rig.

nice with some people who finally know something :) thanks guys..

that rounds my question really great up :)

but 1 more question.. how big will the difference be between 16 gb 1600 mhz cl 10 and 16 gb 1600 mhz cl9?

I don't think there will be any noticable difference what so ever. If you run benchmarks you may see a difference in points, but you wont "feel" the difference when using you rig. =)

I can't seem to find the benchmarks of RAM someone did before, but someone did a recent benchmark of RAM in which they benchmarked the RAM's timings, speed, and CL. The only thing that really change performance, was the speed of the RAM, changing the timings and CL did little to nothing more.

I would suggest getting the max speed of RAM your motherboard supports, which is 1600MHz, you might want to go with 16GB of RAM and speed of 1600MHz or 1866MHz.

Also, why does that motherboard cost close to $300? My Gigabyte board has as many PCI-E slots and supports up to 2133MHz RAM naturally, and both boards have 3 year warranties...I don't seem to understand the $100 price difference...

well reason for my purchase of an Asus motherboard is because Asus you just simple know works and is being tested tbh all the stuff i can get from asus i get with their brand.

again because you know it works and if there is a small problem they help you with it.

i belive there is alot more into it then just how many PCI-E slots. an example would be there is build in DLNA and wi-fi in this 1.

wich i can say works way better then the software TV's like Phillips comes with (talking with personally experience)

and about the MHz on the RAM it is just a simple click on the mouse and it goes up to 2800 MHz..

There is no way for you to feel the difference from 1333 to 2133, or from cl7 to cl11, or whatever. There are only two or three situations:

- You have an APU, and use it for gaming. The graphics in the APU use the ram as a graphics card uses it's internal memory. Ram speed and cas latency makes huge difference.

- You are benchmarking, trying to beat a record. Then every extra point counts.

- Some other use scenario, where some NOT VERY COMMON task really takes advantage of the extra speed.