How long before cpus run without fans

I was thinking about whether this would be the future not maybe not due to heat of transistors and resistance. What year do you think cpus may use no fans or water cooling(this is before oc)

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

We already have cpu's that don't have any HSFs or watercooling etc. Just not for your PC or laptop.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Doesn't linus' wife use a pc with just a large heatsink and no fan? ( maybe I am misunderstanding the question.)

My phone doesn't exactly have a fan or any significant heat sink or pipes so its already happened its just a case of when we will be able to get enough power from them for desktop use without the heat output. Although if we weren't so obsessed with smaller we could have focussed on reducing heat output years ago.

What i mean is something like an i3 just put in the socket and your done, good to go.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Moves to CPU's

We do have fanless cpu cooling for pc. It's called a passive cooler.

Hyper_Z600_CPU.jpg

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

We do have fanless cpu cooling for pc. It's called a passive cooler.

Hyper_Z600_CPU.jpg

I knew that already what i mean is just a naked cpu thats its barebones.

Listen if you care.

We will probably never have fanless CPUs because fanless limits the maximum CPU power so much. Overclocking will probably always exist, and you will probably always need a forced air cooler for it.

my first pc had windows 3.1 , a 486 intel cpu and it was passively cooled with a very very small heat sink.

Not on desktop workstations. Ever. Maybe in laptops as they become even slimmer and more like tablets and phones, but there will always be a place for a proper place to work. With heat output.

Well, laptop sensors sometimes have the fan turn off when the CPU hits a certain temperature. Even though you keep saying "CPUs without a heatsink," you put in the title "without fans." So that kinda broadens things a bit.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Probably not anytime soon, with great power comes great heat-output-bility   B)

CPUs in phones run without fans or heatsinks... unless you count the casing as a heatsink I guess. But not all phones are made of metal. In any case, even when a future CPU can be as powerful as today's i7 without a heatsink, they will make a bigger and badder version that does require a heatsink and performs like a supercomputer. In short, as CPUs draw less power per transistor and per clock, manufacturers will add more transistors and raise clock speeds on desktop PCs. I don't think we will ever get like 1W CPUs on the desktop, because why would they do that when they could just make a 50W version that blows everything else out of the water and just requires a small heatsink/fan.

CPUs in phones run without fans or heatsinks... unless you count the casing as a heatsink I guess. But not all phones are made of metal. In any case, even when a future CPU can be as powerful as today's i7 without a heatsink, they will make a bigger and badder version that does require a heatsink and performs like a supercomputer. In short, as CPUs draw less power per transistor and per clock, manufacturers will add more transistors and raise clock speeds on desktop PCs. I don't think we will ever get like 1W CPUs on the desktop, because why would they do that when they could just make a 50W version that blows everything else out of the water and just requires a small heatsink/fan.

I'd rather say that manufacturers will improve instructions per clock, rather than their frequency. That way you get the most out of your clock.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I'd rather say that manufacturers will improve instructions per clock, rather than their frequency. That way you get the most out of your clock.

They'll do both.  GHz is what they put on the box and for the general consumer market it's a selling point for them.  From a business standpoint increased clock speeds are a nice thing to have :)  I mean how many noobs have you had to convince that AMD CPUs aren't a way better deal than Intel CPUs?  (OMG 8 cores 4.0GHz cheaper than Intel quad core... wtf Intel!!!)

They'll do both.  GHz is what they put on the box and for the general consumer market it's a selling point for them.  From a business standpoint increased clock speeds are a nice thing to have :)  I mean how many noobs have you had to convince that AMD CPUs aren't a way better deal than Intel CPUs?  (OMG 8 cores 4.0GHz cheaper than Intel quad core... wtf Intel!!!)

Yeah. That's true. But I bet AMD increased the clock speed to help cover up the holes in their architecture, and increased core count since they can't compete with Intel on per core performance.

The answer is now. There are plenty of passive coolers that can handle modern x86_64 CPUs. Not to mention that if you turn down the voltages (obviously the clockspeed must go down as well) low enough modern chips can run with very little cooling. Also pretty much everything ARM based runs with no active cooling; meaning that your phone's modern CPU already does this.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

The answer is now. There are plenty of passive coolers that can handle modern x86_64 CPUs. Not to mention that if you turn down the voltages (obviously the clockspeed must go down as well) low enough modern chips can run with very little cooling. Also pretty much everything ARM based runs with no active cooling; meaning that your phone's modern CPU already does this.

He means without a heatsink or any cooling apparatus at all.

Yeah...we kinda have CPUs that run without fans. 

MY BUILD CONSISTS OF

• Case: Corsair 600T White Edition
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.50GHz
  • HSF: Corsair H100
  • GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 580 DirectCU II
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB)
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3 Revision
  • SSD: SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB
  • HDD1: Western Digital Black 500GB (Storage)
  • HDD2: Western Digital 320GB (Music)
  • HDD3: Toshiba 120GB (SSD Backup)
  • PSU: SilverStone Strider Plus 850w

never because cpus will have to have some sort of cooling because they get too hot

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

I wonder why manufacturerers dont want to use a super low rpm fan to greatly increase these massive passive coolers' cooling capacity. if the fan is high enough quality, it shouldnt make any noise at all

given that not even fast ARM processors can run without some sort of heat dissipation I would say not for another 5-10years.

I wonder why manufacturerers dont want to use a super low rpm fan to greatly increase these massive passive coolers' cooling capacity. if the fan is high enough quality, it shouldnt make any noise at all

Because fans with a very low startup voltage are more expensive to manufacture.

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

there are so many computers out there (and so many morons), I reckon there has to be some idiot who has thrown in a cpu without a cooler and had it run for a small amount of time XD